Ramadan in Dubai

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Dubai' started by balamotwani, Sep 9, 2007.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am new to dubai. I am happy and worried about ramadan in dubai. Happy because the office timings for my hubby is only till 2pm. So i was planning to go out often and enjoy.

But i came to know that there are some restrictions regarding restaurants that they can do home delivery only to hindus and christians and that we cannot eat in the restaurant from morning untill sunset. We shouldnt even drink or eat in public during ramadan. Offenders will be punished. i always carry a water bottle with me whenever i go out, so is it not allowed to drink.

Ladies please share your experiences .
    Have you ever been warned or punished during ramadan?

2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Bala,

Having lived for the past 7 yrs in the Gulf region, I have not heard of anyone being punished.

Religions and cultures are different and unique and we should learn to respect them. Ramadan month being a holy month for the local people as well as Muslims throughout the world, has fasting as the most important aspect and holds a religious significance to them.

As for going out and eating out, hotels are open after the fast is broken every day and you can enjoy your dinner out often. I am sure that you will not want to drink water as soon as you step out of the house.

Also since most of the offices will be closing early, traffic jams will arise between 2-5 pm time and so the people who leave office at 2 will also reach home late -- This is from my personal experience.

So unless your office and house are in the same building, reaching home will take the same time - only that a person can reach home 2 hours earlier than usual for a few weeks.

3. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Hi Bala,
    While i have not heard of anyone being punished for eating in public, all eating places are closed during daylight hours, and eating, smoking and drinking in public is forbidden.
    It is better not to carry your water battle, you might be tempted to drink it.
    Better safe than sorry

4. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi bala

relax, dubai is a very friendly country for all indians as we dont have much time difference, you get all indian items here, lot of indians around, hindu temple, you can dress as you wish, also visit our shiv temple on ganesh chathurthi you can witness our temple ambience a big happening indian place, do visit in the evening after 7pm

Well, mostly here the culture is everybody prefer to go out only after 6pm-because of the climate and also a lot of shops, restaurants are not much active bet 9am-6pm, some are closed and open after 6 -6.30pm till 12.30 to 1am even carrefours are open till 1am during ramadan time. So, upto 6pm we will be forced to sit at home only. For all first time visitors when we hear abt ramadan restrcitions we think we misss a lot but in practice if you see you are made to sit at home only those timings. Wrt to drinking water, before going out have more water at home itself. I came to know that a filipino who smoked in a public place during ramadan time was arrested.

5. Tweety

Tweety Bronze IL'ite

As SujaKalyan said it takes almost 1 and 1/2 hrs for my hubby to reach home. After that we have our lunch and take rest. We will start by late evening for a walk or to malls.
    Last week we had dinner in a Superb Restaurant Dwaraka (Vegetarian), Sharjah Buffet system. A wide variety each with different flavors were waiting for us. I was amazed to see that much of varieties that too healthy and most important we didn't feel any side effects of masala, usually we have while eating outside. We went with friends and had a nice time there.

So Bala you too give a try there and let me know if u like it!!!:2thumbsup:
    Regards
    Mythily

6. balamotwani

Hi Tweety,

My cousin brother is in Maysaloon. So during my first visit he took me to this Dwaraka restaurant and i really liked it. One thing i understood is they are good at south indian than north indian. I liked the starters, i really was eating too much that day and had too many sweets. My daughter who doesnt eat anything at home liked those small pizza, pani poori,cakes,noodles.

Ladies in Dubai, iam not sure whether you have visited this place,but you should visit, u will really luv the food, buffet for that price is really excellent.
    I am planning to take my bil,sil and theirfamily to Dwaraka as my birthday treat. For them it is new as they never went to sharjah side.

Tweety, when i remember that i feel like going now...:yes: :wink:

7. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,
    As many of you may be aware, Ramadan tents have been put up in many places.
    There is one Ramadan Tent in Trade centre Road, Dubai, next to Union Co-op in Karama.
    You can drop the old clothes, bed linen, old toys etc here. All you have to do is wash them and neatly fold them in supermarket bags. You can leave them inside the tents to be distributed to poor people.
    Ramadan Kareem.

Regards
    USHA

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Is there any place where you can donate old clothes in Abu Dhabi?

9. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

hi bala..

Nice to hear the lovely food u had in dwaraka. If possible will u be able to give us the exact location of that restaurant in sharjah and also how do we go from bur dubai. Can u also give us the contact no of the restaurant .
    Many thanks in advance
    Luv
    Brindha

10. balamotwani

Brindhaa,

I think Tweety will give better directions than me as she is in Sharjah. I think it is in Abu sagara, as i went with my cousin, i dont know the correct directions from here.

But you should surely go there. Give me some time, i will be back with the details.