Rajasthani Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by jaishree9, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

RAJASTHANI RECIPES
    DAL BATTI
    Ingredients –
    For 4 peoples
    Wheat flour 400 gm (a bit coarser)
    Semolina 100 gm (optional)
    Pure Ghee two large spoon full
    A cup of Malai (Milk cream)
    Salt to taste
    !/4 teaspoonful Sodabicarb

Proceed – Mix all ingredients in a large bowl or in a deep plate, kneed with mixing small amount of water to firm consistency dough (dough a bit firm than chapatti flour)
    Kneed thoroughly, divide in abt 10 smooth round balls; keep covered with a wet cloth.
    Preheat a gas /Electric oven for 10 min to maximum temp, than put balls one by one, lower the temp to medium, turn around every 4-5 min till becomes golden brown.( it takes about 20 -25 min in gas oven )
    Take another two spoonful pure ghee, heat in a deep pan & dip battis one by one, if wants more rich taste break in two pieces & sock in ghee. Keep in a casserole.
    DAL
    Ingredient
    Arhar Dal two cup or mix dal One cup arhar dal ,half cup Bangalgram ( channa dal ) Half cup green moong dal ,half cup masoor dal ( red gram )
    Water to cook, 1/2 spoonful turmeric powder ,
    one & half spoon ful red chilli powder ,Salt to taste
    1/2 spoon ful garam masala ,
    Green chilli cut in small pieces ,corrender leaves,
    two cloves ,
    one small piece of ginger.

Proceed - Either take Arhar dal two cup or if u like can take mix dal - That is one cup arhar dal, Half cup green moong dal,Half cup red gram dal ( massor ) & half cup bangalgram
    (Channa dal) Cook in a cooker with enough water, put ½ cup pf turmeric & salt to taste in cooker along with one small piece of ginger crushed & two cloves in cooker.
    When cooked prepare for tadaka -
    Need one large spoon pure ghee, one green chili cut in small pieces, ½ spoon ful cumin seeds ,one to one & half spoon ful red chili powder, pinch of asafetida powder.
    Heat ghee in a small pot ,Put cumin seeds & asafetida Powder when becomes golden brown put green chilies & one to one & half teaspoon full red chili powder & Put inDal.Put ½ teaspoonful garm masala & garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Take 7-8 green chilies cut in small pieces ,Heat a pan with one spoon full oil ,put cumin seeds & mustard seeds & green chili ,put salt to taste & cook to 3-4 min. Sprinkle half lemon juice.
    Serve hot batti with Dal & green chili chutney.
    If want can serve also rice or pulav along with batti & dal to complete the menu.
    For sweet u can serve Churma laddu or mal pua or kheer along with dal batti.
    Hope Ils will try & like this special rajasthani dish.

strei likes this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaishree,

I am very glad to see a new thread on Rajasthani recipes. The vivid colours of your state is truly reflected in the cuisine. Dal-bhati is a food that makes me and my husband come alive. We get to eat it very rarely since I did not know how to make it. I will definitely try this out and post a feed back.

I wish you will post more Rajasthani recipes in future. It is always a pleasure to read your writings- be it in recipes or in the form of your musings.

affly
    Vidya

strei likes this.
  3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Jaishree,

Nice to see a thread on Rajasthani recipes. Ghatte being my all time favorite, had this neighbour aunty back home, who used to make it for me frequently. Do post more recipes as when time permits. I want the churma laddoo, Ker Sangri and pachakoot dal recipes please. Any special Rajasthani Bhakri recipes, and so also savories , oh and that yummy mango pickle that you make. :drool:drool

Ok the list is endless. Please keep this thread alive by posting.

Thanks
    vandhana

4. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jayshree,

I have always been fascinated by the western Indian cuisine...and would love to try out your recipes! :)

Thanks for posting about how to make daal baati...I had it once long time back during a picnic and loved it...am going to try your recipe one of these and will let you know how it turns out...

Could you also give a few more Rajasthani dishes? Like any traditional vegetable curry etc...I would love to try those out too...:)

Thanks so much!!

love,
    Aarushi

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaishree,

This is something totally new to me. It is fascinating and I shall try it out one of these days.
    The variety of cuisine in India never stops to amaze me. I am getting more and more drawn towards Indian cookery these days and have almost stopped looking at Thai, Italian etc etc!
    Looking forward to more of your regional specialities.
    Thanks for this.

L, Kamla

6. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya
    Thanx for the postive response shown by u. I hope I made myself clear in method .Waiting for ur Response.
    Dear vandana
    thanx for the enthusisim shown by u .I wud definately post the recipies u asked in coming time.
    Dear Arushi
    thanx for the positive response.
    Dear Kamla
    India is avery vast country with so many varieties in food.
    I myself think indian veg recipies are best.Thanx & do try it.Waiting for Ur response.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaishree,
    nice to see Rajasthani recipes. I saw in one cookery programme that you people make good food wthout much vegetables, with besan etc. It is really wonderful. Plese post more daily food varieties also, so that I can make them often.

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Churama Laddu
    Dal batti is not complete without Churma laddu as sweet dish.
    Here is the Way to prepare Churma laddu.

Ingredients – 400 gm flour (a bit coarser)
    !00 gm Semolina (optional)
    Sugar 200 gm.
    Pure Ghee 200 gm.
    Pinch of baking soda or soda bicarb
    Dry fruits – one cup - Kaju, Pista & almonds cut in small pieces.
    Cord mom Powder
    Few threads of Kesar

Proceed – mix Flour with semolina ( semolina is optional u can also prepare without it but if the flour is fine mixing semolina wud be better & it givea a good taste ), Put 2 large spoonful Ghee, and pinch of sodabicarb and with help of water kneed in firm dough. Divide in two or three portions & make thick ( 1 – 1& half cm thick Rottis & back on a tawa on mediaum flames till it turns golden brown .
    Take in a large plate & break in small pieces let it cool a bit & than grind in mixer to fine granules.
    Sieve through to remove large pieces.
    Take rest of ghee in a thick bottom karai & put on medium gas & sauté the grinded & sieved churma for 10 -12 min till become brown.
    Put down from gas ,cool a bit ,Mix sugar ( grinded beforehand in mixer ) Mix all dry fruits & cordmom powder & kesar threads. Mix well & prepare small Laddus with help of both palms.
    Serve with Dal & batti. (Can be kept for 3-4 days in winter & 2-3 days in summer)

strei likes this.
  9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaishree,

I am back again with many doubts.

1) When you say coarse flour, what is it exactly? Wheat flour of Bombay sooji texture?

2) Guess what I found today. A bhatti stove/oven!! Is it good to invest in one? Or will regular electric oven do?

Am planning on trying bhatti tomorrow.Will definitely post a FB.

Thanks again for opening this form of cuisine to us.

affly
    Vidya

10. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Jaishree - Please post some vegetable recipes. I would love to try them out.