1. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take the 100 Days Positivity Challenge : Join Here
    Dismiss Notice

Raisins and Grapes....not good....

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Sriniketan, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. Sriniketan

    Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

    Messages:
    12,522
    Likes Received:
    1,433
    Trophy Points:
    445
    Gender:
    Female
    Subject: Dog Poison -- Raisins & Grapes
    IF YOU HAVE A dog... PLEASE read this and send it on.
    If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

    Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the
    subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.
    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medicat ions a ND they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.
    Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.


    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
    Confirmation from Snopes about the above...http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

     
    Loading...

  2. Arunarc

    Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

    Messages:
    12,596
    Likes Received:
    2,780
    Trophy Points:
    445
    Gender:
    Female
    Thanks for the information Sriniketan.............
    never knew raisians and grapes are poisious to dogs
    I remember sometimes when we eat fruits we use to give our dog grapes just a few sometimes at my mom's place will tell my mom about it.
     
  3. Sindhuja

    Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

    Messages:
    1,104
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    68
    Gender:
    Female
    Thank you for the information, Sriniketan.

    Few months ago, Taffy ate about 12-15 grapes. I usually keep all the fruits on the table. Taffy climbed the chair (we forgot to push it under the table) and ate the grapes. My girls were crying, that something is going to happen. My younger one googled and found that it's very poisonous. They called the Vet and informed the situation. The vet asked us to bring the pup if she vomits or if she is less active. Thank God, nothing happened to her. She was fine. We became more cautious from that day.
     
  4. Paulina

    Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

    Messages:
    1,692
    Likes Received:
    688
    Trophy Points:
    225
    Gender:
    Female
    Dear Sindhuja,

    Taffy is one plucky little dog and you are all lucky that he did not have any problem after the feasting on grapes.Srini's write up says as little as 7 grapes can have lethal effects and your little chappie had twice that....be extra careful .I've read somewhere that onions, garlic and chocolates are also dangerous for dogs.
    Usually they say that pure bred dogs are more sensitive to all these risks but in the case of the grapes the dog mentioned was a 56 lb mixed breed Lab.Lets watch out for these hazards always.

    warm regards
    PAULINA:wave
     
  5. Sindhuja

    Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

    Messages:
    1,104
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    68
    Gender:
    Female
    Dear Paulina Mam,
    Yes, we were very lucky that time that nothing happened to her. We started keeping grapes on the kitchen counter top or sometimes on the refrigerator. She is a mutt and I think that might be the only reason that she was fine after eating grapes. Thank you for your valuable advice. I appreciate it.

    best,
     
  6. puni88

    puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

    Messages:
    12,317
    Likes Received:
    7,218
    Trophy Points:
    545
    Gender:
    Female
    Hi Srini,
    Thanks for sharing this info....
    I guess, I need not have to worry as we don't have pets :)

    Regards.
     
  7. meenakshirajan

    meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

    Messages:
    837
    Likes Received:
    83
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Gender:
    Female
    Hello Srini,
    Thanks for the information. Very useful. Will pass it on to my friends.
    Meenakshi Rajan
     
  8. Sriniketan

    Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

    Messages:
    12,522
    Likes Received:
    1,433
    Trophy Points:
    445
    Gender:
    Female
    Hi friends,
    I got this message as a forward..
    happy to see that it is helping all...

    They also say that the darker the chocolate the more danger to the dogs..
    overall, chocolate is not advisable to our pets...

    Aruna, please do the needful.
    Sindhuja, Taffy is lucky so are your family members..
    Paulina,meenakshi, glad it helped you all.
    Punitha, no problem, you can tell others too..

    sriniketan
     
  9. aproop

    aproop Bronze IL'ite

    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Gender:
    Female
    Dear Sriniketan,

    I did not know Raisins & Grapes are toxin to dogs.....I remember giving grapes to Honey sometime back......

    glad you posted it here. v info.....


    regards,
    anu
     
  10. Sriniketan

    Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

    Messages:
    12,522
    Likes Received:
    1,433
    Trophy Points:
    445
    Gender:
    Female
    Anu,
    I got this as a forward longtime back, me too don't know that these are poison to dogs..
    luckily now we know, we won't do the same mistake and also warn others who do so...

    sriniketan
     

Share This Page