1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Raising Children - Easier Abroad / India ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by madras2018, Jul 13, 2016.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Hi -

I'm interested in getting feedback from the diverse pool of IL users. I'm wondering if it is easier for working Indian women to raise children in the west (eg US/Canada/UK/Europe) or is it easier in India (in major metropolitan cities).

Target demographic
    -
    1. This question is specifically about raising young children (0-10 years)
    2. Working mothers or mothers who worked until the birth of their children
    3. In-laws/parents don't live in close proximity - i.e same country/city.
    Would be great if you could share
    1. Biggest issues you faced when balancing kids and work
    2. What was the various helping factors (major & minor) you had ?
    3. Did your career take a hit in/ slow down in any way in the early years ?
    When responding please consider the following factors
    1. Managing household (cooking, cleaning, maintenance, shopping)
    2. Quality and availability of Child care help (daycare/nanny/extended family etc).
    3. Balancing career and home
    Looking forward to hearing about your experiences !

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

2. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

I think balancing career and family is definitely easier in the west and hence one can argue easier to raise kids in the west. Day cares are much more evolved there than here.

But raising kids is more than just providing an excellent daycare, there is a whole lot of factors into which I wont go to.

I live in Bangalore (neither parents nor inlaws live in the same city), married and have a kid between 0-10. and my career definitely has taken a huge hit after baby but my biggest blessing has been my nanny without who I may have been forced to quit long back.

3. madras2018

@curtainsdown Thanks for responding ! I recall your earlier post where you mentioned you have a nanny and cook.
    Were you unable to reliably leave your child with the nanny ? Was that the only major hitch that kept you WFH ?

sindmani likes this.
  4. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

I have left my child to solely my nanny's care - day long too - but rarely. I trust my nanny completely. I know my child is in safe hands.

Which is why I am not sure if I will get another one as good as her if I let her go.

anyways, my career suffering and my WFH option etc has more to do with my own insecurities with respect to my potential absence in my child's childhood. In an ideal world, I would like to be outside the house (separated from child) for 8 hours a day and still have a fulfilling job. I believe it would have been possible had I lived in the west with an on-site day care or after school center. I do not want to be separated from my child for longer than 10 hours (Which is a minimum requirement in Bangalore traffic) and still would not be considered per Indian workforce culture as putting in enough work....

sindmani and sslkgpaa like this.
  5. madras2018

@curtainsdown -

I hear you -esp abt the part about not liking to be away for more than 8 hrs. I agree that the travel time between home and work in India sometimes adds to the already long working hours. In my limited knowledge very few after school daycare centers function to international standards, so that's another factor as well.

TBH I was surprised to hear someone in India say that it's easier abroad cos we often hear the refrain that maids, cooks and drivers make life easy here. Good to know your honest feedback though. Thnx !

sindmani likes this.
  6. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

The answer would vary depending upon individual parameters, yardsticks and definition of 'raising'.

For me personally, 'raising' a child means a lot more than just being able to entrust a child safely to a decent nanny/maid or daycare that would in turn enable me to work full time peacefully. It means a lot more than the local availability of safe childcare options while the parents are away at work.

For me, the quality of childhood is extremely important. That may or may not include a whole lot of material comforts, but most certainly must include extensive and regular interaction with grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, relatives and old family friends & acquaintances etc. That is how I was raised and that is how I would ideally like my child to be raised too.
    Attachment and love of (especially) grandparents and extended family and experiencing and valuing different relations is a very enriching and important aspect of childhood. And that is something that can never be replicated abroad. And of course, in most regular families with young kids and grandparents living in the same house, working full-time is a breeze for parents as compared with their counterparts abroad.
    Having said that, there sure are different advantages of living abroad as well. Just as there are different advantages of living in India.

7. madras2018

@LotusAura Thanks for responding. I do agree about the quality of childhood in the aspect of living and getting to know one's close relatives. Like they say "It takes a village to raise a child". I have friends in India who gladly live with their inlaws if at least to ensure their kids are around trusted, reliable people when the parents are at work.

sindmani likes this.