1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rainy Day Musings

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

At the end of the workout, just as I debate if I should step off the bike now or continue, I hear the instructor go “Last 90 seconds of the class”. With that she plays “This girl is on fire!” as though she has noticed my indecision. I am now glued to my seat wanting to finish the 90 seconds for the song. One minute into the 90 seconds, she goes, “time for jumps” and even though I am on fire, I know it is not enough for the jumps. No, not even the song can help me! So I get off the bike, look at the clock and make a run for the car. Early mornings, even a 2 minute delay can upset my day you know. I do not want that after that endorphin rush.

I notice the car in front of me with a fluttering flag. The weather forecast has been a ‘cloudy, rainy day’ ahead. But the breeze that is gently flowing, fluttering he flag, the morning Sun waiting, trying hard to break through the full clouds that are waiting to burst but only offering a drizzle right now – all of it wants me to go home to a hot cup of coffee and a book, curling up on the couch. I don’t know about you, but after the long summer days, the slight change in the color of leaves, the cooler temperatures, the frequent rains are all a welcome change. Yes, even if it means old man winter is on his way!

As I step out of the shop, I break into a huge grin. I am short of dancing, really! I am sure my eyes have lit up for I know I feel happy. It is raining! I had walked into that book store to get another copy of…yes, “Jonathan Livingston”. As always I have stepped out with four more books. Walking around the store, I had faced the conundrum of “Should I buy or not?” clutching tightly at the 1912 copy of Rudyard Kipling! I have to be honest; these book stores must stop these specialized/collectors book shelves. After all had I not spent money on books, just two days ago? But now stepping out with my purchase, taking the rain as a sign, I am thrilled I had picked up all the books that I had!

As I make a run for my car, settle down and pause to take a breather, I am reminded of another day, another shop not so long ago! As I stood selecting miniature pieces, a lady walks up to me and asks “Do you have a doll house to keep those in?” I am surprised. I hadn’t noticed the woman and I had never thought of a doll house. All I was doing was thinking of Dusshera, a theme, and buying the miniature barn and animals. Call it a feeling but I feel she wants to know more. So I offer an explanation of the festival. She feels encouraged and soon she is sharing her experience with Native Americans, their festivals, her work with them and how connected she felt. After a few minutes of talking, she chooses to let me in on a secret “I have been asked to let go of negative feelings” and pauses almost as if wondering about it. I tell her that I understand and assure her that she could do it; she is thrilled that she has met someone who could relate to her experiences. Teary eyed yet happy, she leaves me to my buying, blowing kisses my way with a “Blessings to you”!

As I think of her, I look fondly at my Jonathan Livingston, Illusions ready at home to be mailed. I cannot believe that this is all coming true. It is time to write that letter from the heart, with gratitude for all the blessings.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Conversations in shops... Reminds me of some I've had over the years. These only happen whenI am shopping alone. Somehow the family gives me weird looks if I strike up conversations when they are around. The conversations have almost always been with older women, with curated opinions and wisdom.
    What letter? Some specific one? An annual ritual? To Santa? Mrs. Santa? : )

Long time no see, Srama. Howdy? Recently I checked out a library book... online...and pondered on how there'd never be an overdue fine to pay........ I was remembering our long ago conversation about library fines.

Srama likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Hats off to gripping racy narration and fantastic capturing the moments as if enacting a scene by scene in a twentieth century fox movie revealing enviable lifestyle and the deep desire of the fledgling in Jonathan Livingston sea gull!:clapclap:
    http://indusladies.com/community/threads/pregnant-facts-preponderance-prognostication.304051/

http://indusladies.com/community/threads/a-date-with-mangalsutra-thirumangalyam.303906/

http://indusladies.com/community/threads/saffron-wonder.303715/

http://indusladies.com/community/threads/carry-on-but-never-hurry-or-worry.304001/

Ba Ba Ba Ba Baby Shower Turned Borrowed Shower

Srama likes this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

Is it not what Einstein said, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous". You are meant to meet that lady and the knowledge/experience sharing is inevitable.

Now come to a rainy day, I live in Aberdeen, and most days are rainy. But I adore rain so much so that I feel that it takes me a step closer to the ultimate. Listening to the raindrops is a meditation. Rumi said, "Wisdom is like the rain, its source is unlimited, but it comes according to the season". I loved your narration about the rainy day and I felt the comfort that lady must have felt when you have assured her.

Cheers,
    Vani

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up on a rainy day. Loved the below.
    Yes Rain makes one happy. It rejuvenates. I enjoy walking in the light rain. How I wish it rains now.

kaniths and Srama like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha your threads are the nearest an atheist like me can come to a spiritual experience.
    As for books my full sympathies. Evren I can't resist entering a bookshop when I see one and buying a few books

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Rihana
    Dear Rihana,

Thank you for your first feedback. I hear you my friend, I do! My family is used to me having random conversations - various people and various places. This is the first time though a friend was with me and she was equally surprised. She hovered around for a while and could not believe her eyes. Oh well!

Yours truly here continues to pay fines even as she types here to you. Glad you have moved on. I like books and handling books, so the habit continues. As for that letter my friend, as much as I would like to reveal...cannot, not on a public forum :) But I am delighted to see that you caught on to that! I expected no less from you.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan sir,

Thank you for your words and feedback. I like the way these incidences stick to memory and I have learnt that if I pay attention, I can stitch various instances over a couple of days and life suddenly looks so wonderful!

kaniths likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@girvani

Dear Vani,

You are the sweetest person I know and you do get it! It was indeed some kind of play by the Universe that I ran into her. I am only glad I could see beyond the routine and stopped to talk. Made me feel better too.

Rains! Who doesn't love them? You are very spiritual and I am not surprised you feel a deep connection. Enjoy your rains and feel the connection. Thank you as always for your lovely feedback.

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@jskls,

Dear Lakshmi,

Thank you for your feedback. I love the light rain too! The drizzle is so much fun. It must be thato f the year no for you...with fall coming soon, there should be rain too! Enjoy!

jskls likes this.