Ragi, benefits and a farmer's breakfast/dieter's whole some food

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Shanvy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

When I talked about Ragi here I did not talk much about the benefits and why it is toted as a farmer’s staple diet and today the modern world regards ragi in par with quinoa as a dieter’s friend. View attachment 153519
    So what is special about ragi, the humble millet, that lost its place to wheat, brown rice , basmati and oats today. I still remember being surprised to see ragi being given to a 1 month old baby , ofcourse specially processed but the baby grew out so healthy and active.
    Benefits of ragi is endless:
    Ragi is rich in calcium. And hence is recommended to old and the young babies..and the regular consumption aids in strong bones and reducing osteoporosis .
    Tryptophan in ragi, is an amino acid, that helps in weight loss and also acts as an relaxant.
    The fiber in ragi makes you feel full after consumption.
    It lowers blood pressure and asthma when eaten in the early stages of growth..that is when it is green and has fresh milkiness in it..(the taste is awesome and the milkiness is a texture to be cherished..)
    It is rich in proteins and helps in muscle growth and repair, skin health.
    It contains certain amino acids that eliminate fat so aids in reducing cholesterol and weight loss.
    It also contains iron, which helps in preventing and treating anemia.
    A good source of energy and easily digestible food is given for recuperation unless the person suffers from poor digestion.
    I make ragi dhokla, ragi idlis, ragi sevai, ragi kozhukattai, ragi dosa, adais, biscuits , muffins and koozhu.
    I wanted to give the recipe as a separate post because this humble delicacy not only is filling, it is a coolant and also is so nutritious..no wonder, farmers and others swore by the health benefits of ragi (pearl millets) and kambu(bajra).
    The same ragi koozhu takes various avatars according to regions. In Karnataka it is ragi mudde..and in the rural parts of tamilnadu and in the Aadi koozhu, it is made differently.

Ingredient
    ragi flour - 1 cup
    1 tsp of rice
    water - 4 to 5 cups

Mix the ragi flour with a cup or more of water depending into a idli batter consistency. The trick here is to leave it to ferment overnight or for 10 hours depending on when it is to be consumed. It does not rise even in peak summer..but when fermented it gets more nutrient value.
    View attachment 153515

Take a pot/deep bottomed vessel. Boil water say 4 cups. Add that 1tsp of rice (I believe this is to give the starchy feeling and nothing more)

When the rice is 2/3rd cooked, add the ragi batter, to the pan, stirring in continuously so that no lumps are formed. Once incorporated, keep stirring as it tends to thicken fast.
    View attachment 153517
    Keep cooking on a very low flame, to simmer. It will come to a nice semi solid consistency which will solidify more by the time it cools..leave it to cool overnight, if you make it in evening.
    Take the required quanity, add buttermilk, salt and serve. when it is thick, you can eat with rasam, sambhar just like oats again it all depends on preference..
    View attachment 153516
    The sidedishes can be anything from onions, fried curd chillies, pickles, vathakuzhambu, drumstick leaves in case of vegetarian. My maid says lot of non-vegetarian dishes go well with this

2. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy,

Cool post. Very informative. I love ragi, anything that made with Ragi. I was searching ragi here in UK for a long time, but just recently found out this flour lies in Srilankan grocery shops with the name of 'Kurakkan' flour. Haa... For 2 weeks, I have been making Ragi idlies[with urud dal].. they go well with spicy onion chutneys... Ragi adai, ragi dosas are good. Now and then I make Ragi pakodas. They tastes like heaven. Your Raghi koozhu looks delicious. If we crave for something sweet, we can do the same like: Boil 1 cup milk and 1 cup water together and same 3-4 tbsp of ragi flour and some sugar. Keep stirring. Sweet koozh is ready. Perfect evening dish... Coming to think of it, i am going to make it today... :) Thanks for sharing this lovely blog Shanvy... Nice to read all the health benefits...

ILT

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing the health benefits of ragi. I love it. I use it as main component in kanji maavu. Also love ragi biscuits. In fact have bookmarked chitvish recipe.

4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Good info about Ragi Shanvy..

I only prepare Ragi rotti ....and used to prepare ragi ganji for my DD ....
    For some time i made raagi malt and now i have become lazy to prepare it ..:(

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

my husband likes it the way you like,ILT and that too everyday.. and these days i am looking at brown sugar, demerra options instead of sugar for him.. even the regular jaggery tastes good..try the laddoos with ragi flour if you have a sweet tooth..

fry the ragi flour till it emanates flavours..
    for 1 cup of flour add 1 cup of powdered sugar, optional is the powdered nuts, and add a pinch of cardamom..add a few spoons of hot ghee..voila roll them into ladoos..

variations you can add vanilla essence and coco powder and it becomes a kids variations.. instead of powdered nuts add tutti fruti and it lures them more..

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Come to think of it, we never give the food that our ancestors prepared much a thought..everything is so well balanced and well thought and planned, to suit our climates and palates and occassions...

do try ragi biscuits, dhokla...both will grow on you...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Anisu, thanks a lot for joining me here.. it feels wonderful to have regular feed back from you dear.

now stop being lazy and do make use of all the goodness that we have, who knows what our kids and the next generation will miss out as time flies...

8. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

hi shanvy,
    thanks for the wealth of info on ragi... I use it to prepare dosa...have tried ragi semiya and puttu.Should try the others.Never knew we could try biscuits or ladoos.

9. sls007

sls007 Senior IL'ite

Great post. Could you please guide me to the links that have recipes using raagi? Grateful for that.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Meera do try. i make chappathis with ragi..it is equally nutritious.