1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ragging....from dread to disappointment...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Dec 20, 2011.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Passionate......:)
    Thanks for dropping in.....:thumbsup
    You never got ragged..?...Why..??:spin
    True yaar, you missed it.....shakehead

2. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

your post made me nostalgic....aah...those days were fun !!!! I was never in a hostel but i was told the hostelites were much more ragged than us day students. I went through most from your list - singing duet with a senior...those were the days when we would blush beet red at the presence of boys...and we had to sing and dance a romantic song with them ....!!!!!! another favourite one with the seniors was to make a junior swim on the floor in a crowded corridor... and also act as if drowning and yell for help... But like you, even i didnt get a chance to rag our juniors as the teachers and staff were much more vigilant and strict action was taken by anyone indulging in it.

Mild ragging breaks the ice and forges a bond between seniors and juniors but these days the lines are crossed in the name of fun.

Thanks for taking me back in time... with your wonderful post.

1 person likes this.
  3. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Thanks, Bhargs ;-)

1 person likes this.
  4. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

hmmmm.... you made me to remember my college days.... one of my senior came on the first day.. and told.. i the I year students in charge lecturer.. we all believed... later came to know she is in II year..

I got ragged... to go and propose to very strict madam. i studied in ladies college unfortunately (my dad made wise plan by knowing about me). i was told to act like perazhagan suryaa... i was told to act like how i will behave during pen paarkum padam... and lots more..

but... had lots of looties in bus... and in bus stop...

5. knbg

Dear Mansi,
    Glad about the dose of nostalgia this post gave you.....:)
    Very true....Hostelites had it at college and at hostel......( rendu pakkam idi- a drum gets hit on both sides....)
    Swimming........Yes, I've heard of it.......luckily, I was not subjected to......
    Thanks dear.....

6. knbg

My dear Vaal Sundhari Riya......:)
    You proposing to a ma'am.......Wow...........How I missed it.......:crazy:biglaugh
    Pen parkum padalam....with all blushing......
    :crazy...I missed that too.....( Shall inform Prak about this..:idea. and he would definitely ask for a re-play...:rotfl..)
    Thanks dear for dropping in and sharing your ragging moments......:thumbsup

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi dear glad to read your experience in ragging. I think I missed this thread as I was in the hospital at that time. I have not gone to College so have only heard about ragging.

1 person likes this.
  8. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Oh I loved ragging too. I was a hostelite so everyday there was a ragging session. Sometimes I used to get frustrated as I couldn't read anything. Anyway-

I was asked to translate a whole Hindi song to English and write it on a paper. It was very funny.
    I was asked which boy I like in class( just casually, not romantically)... I just mentioned the Kashmiri guy who was so fair ...then all the girls got him to propose me with a rose and singing a song in a restaurant. We never spoke till then or even after that.
    Asked to sing a song... And I tried to be smart and asked Hindi or Telugu ? The reason I asked was because I didn't know Telugu song much. So they said " oh ok ...very good...sing both!!" The only Telugu song I knew was the honeymoon song in Telugu version of Saathiya. Heck, I didn't even know it was a honeymoon song as I didn't see it visually and didnt understand. They all laughed.
    Then they asked me to name body parts in Telugu . This was awkward but so funny because I was not good in Telugu and some parts we only use English. I had to learn it and relate back. Of course this was before girls only!
    Lots more stories... I'm typing on a cell.. Will be back later!

1 person likes this.
  9. knbg

Dear Viji aunty,
    Nice to see you here........thanks a lot for joining me here and taking me back to those green years.....( just missed our re-union and was sighing seeing the pics of my buddies.........)
    It was a little difficult then, but looking back, now it all seems fun.....:coffee

10. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

@knbg..
    i always used to think the same..'ahh college,going on bikes and having fun and all..'!since i did my schooling and intermediate in womens college and i joined co-ed college for the first time in engineering ..i used to wait for some one to rag me but themoment they came close to me i used to get scarred and strted cryng..!when ever someone asked me if you kno any sirs then i used to tell my cousin's name who is working as faculty and u dont belive all seniors in my hostel,they used to bring food,get choclates and used to treat me reallywell..noone used to rag me since my cousin was working there and they were scarred that it might effect their internals and labs..!
    all my friends thay were on all praised that seniors are all around her asking her to come to canteen...i always used to wait for my turn and always used to wonder do i look that bad..one fine day,one of my classmates told me that senior sir asked me to come to canteen and i was really happy and made sad face infront of my friends saying some one called me..two of my friends came along with me..!none came and my friends were laughing looking at me..!only little later did my cousin told me that he warned that senior for ragging me..
    funny thing is i used to do overaction till my final yr like not raising head and holding bags and not looking around and in my final yr 2nd year boys came to me and asked me for name and my faculty came and made fun of me and told the guys that i was final yr..they got little scarred that faculty was around they went away..