1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Radon Testing And Proofing While Buying Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sanjuruby3, May 17, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All
    As we are looking homes and touring, I observed that many/most of the homes were not radon inspected?

Am i biased or coincidence that all those homes owned by by Indian were not radon tested? moreover, they did not have any of additional info filled, just bare minimum, checkboxes.
    No comments + so many unknowns.
    Since we bear home inspection costs after offer, should we ask for radon.

Should not they have it tested before putting in market, even if not mandatory, it increases the sell ability?

2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

This is just my personal opinion based on what we have decided for us.

We live in Ohio and our state in general is little bit higher in radon level. Moreover if the home is going to have a finished basement or if you will be spending more time in basement, then I would suggest to do a radon testing. We have decided to do a full home inspection when we buy our home including radon testing and we have decided to go with the certified home inspection company ($$$ higher) in our area. And it would cost somewhere between 500 to 1000 depending on the home size. It is a lot of money but personally we know nothing much about inspecting home (like thermite, mold testing etc) to do it by ourselves. And since we are first time home buyers, we have decided to be on a safer side and hire professional services :) See, if you have problems later it would cost so much higher. One more pointer to add to your decision making is the age of the house. If it is < 10 years, usually (not always though) there wont be any major problems. We have decided to do full inspection from a certified home inspection company anyway.

3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

From our experience, I don't think this is the case. We have seen many home not owned by Indians and were not radon inspected.

I don't think so @sanjuruby3
    Not all people care for radon level. And since we have a small child, we are extra cautious :)

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to clarify what I wrote.

Radon levels has nothing to do with age of house. I was talking about full home inspection in general.

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

thanks @Sandhya13
    We are not able to find a house within all requirements. So our list has been trimming down.
    Now, we found a house that we liked. Price well in budget, infact we were not sure why it is low priced..comapred to others and we giving location(hilly terrain, away from highway, amentities, below avg school district as reasons of low price)

But then on tour I was shocked to see radon mitigation system constantly running when owns do not live there. They marked house as "not radon tested" but radon mitigation was there.
    How would u install w/o a single test?It is like I start eating weight loss pills w/o measure my weight ( bad analogy as overweight is visible)... anyways after some of back and forth, we found out it is at acceptable level 4 (after mitigation system) which scared me that it might be more > 4 w/o constantly running mitigation system.
    My H has heart set on this home. Even though, it is v far from my place, no community, top of that, poor school district. He is researching on price of mitigation systems etc and sad. My concern is - if we know that house might have problems in future, we will not risk for our baby.What do you say?

6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 you are right.. this does not make sense to me.. they have a mitigation system installed and that means they must have tested for radon levels at some point.. when they said radon level not tested, perhaps they meant it is recently not tested..

It appears that you might have to have the mitigation system constantly running.. I think as long as it is maintained at 4 it should be okay.. moreover you are not going to spend your entire day in basement right?? US in general has elevated levels of radon.. so we never know how much we are exposed to in general

You can get this instrument to check radon levels from home depot and it is very inexpensive.. so if you decide to move in to this house, I suggest you check the levels once in a few months despite having the mitigation system.. I am not sure if the mitigation system itself can display the current radon level

It seems to me that more than the radon level these other things you mentioned should be the deciding factor.. You can have a good mitigation system installed and rest assured.. Poor school district is a deal breaker for us.. We are fully set against sending our child to poor school district.. if you are planning for private schools, then it is not a problem I think.. carefully evaluate the other features in this home and then decide.. Radon does not seem to be a big issue for me..