R2I or not?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anivijay, Jan 18, 2016.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am very confused now and if anyone can give me some suggestions based on my situation , would be thankful. My apologies for a long message.

I am in UK now with husband and 2 kids(10 and 8 years). My husband is on Tier 2 ICT visa which will expire in next year(2017 March). It can not be extended and we will be forced to leave the country for a cooling off period of 1 year so that we will never become eligible for ILR(Indefnite leave to remain). I am working in dependent visa and again I have to leave with my husband. You all know about the changes in Visa rules in UK which makes immigration impossible.

Now, I got a sponsor who process tier 2 general visa for me, so that we will be eligible for ILR in 5 years and get UK citizenship in 6 years. this is a once in a life time opportunity and If I loose now, we can not get it back. Generally I like the way I can balance work and life. Happy with kid's education and other comfort here which I can not imagine in India.

A little background of my family in India. I lost my father at the age of 19. It was my mother who worked as a teacher , struggled a lot and settled us down. we are 3 sisters. I am the elder one. second one is a teacher, she married my cousin(my mother's nephew) and she is living with my mom in our maternal home.

My last sister is 26years old now and she is already deaf from the birth. Recently she has been diagonised with a genetic condition called ushers syndrome. she is having problem in her vision too now. she is only having tunnel vision and no side vision at all. And in coming years , she may loose her sight completely and become a blind. this is a heart breaking news for us. and we can not do anything about this condition. there is no treatment available as of now. Research is going on and there are promising researches going on using gene therapy or stem cell therapy. it may take some 5 - 10 years for the availability of this treatment and needless to say that is going to be very expensive. She has completed her B.Tech in computer science a year back with a gold medal. but no one is ready to give her job. so my mom, and 2 sisters are living in my home town. considering her situation, it is very unlikely that she will get married. It's very hard to find a person who can accept her with her multiple disabilities.

Something about our financial situation. We have been here in onsite only for 4 years and I am working only for 3 years. so, we don't have much savings. We have a plot in Bangalore which we are planning to build a house once we go back. since my elder one will be in year 6, and doesn't know kannada /Hindi , international school is the only option if we go back. I don't think we can afford school fees in single earning. So I have to go to work. Hopefully I won't get any help from my mother to take care of kids.

My dilemma now is, accept this offer now, get the ILR and go back to india in 6 years or go to India immediately. If we stay here for 5 more years, I can earn a good money and will be in a situation to help my sister financially when a treatment becomes available. But after 6 years, my elder one would have completed her school and it would have been too late for her to continue her studies in India. Of course, kids would get better education here.

If I decide to go now, I can emotionally be with them. I can visit them frequently and vice versa. Kids would struggle to some extent. My husband is not sure how long he could manage to stay at offshore. He may have to go for next onsite, in which case I have to manage the family alone. We don't have any relatives in Chennai/Bangalore.

Sorry for long vent. I am very confused and thought some one else outside can look at the situation and give a better advice.

Thanks

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have listed your situation quite clearly, which is a good start.

What about husband's family? How would you guys r2i'ing or not, impact them? Old parents, siblings?

With your mom and sisters kind of supporting each other, I would lean towards building financial security.

3. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

What's your H decision in all this? And your mom? Looks like it would be better if you take the opportunity and stay back. If he has no objection to help your sisters, stay back. It will keep you happy.

4. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Rihana. though I don't have a good relationship with my MIL, they don't have any issue with our R2I/ or not. They are living my BIL s and both of them are in good health.

5. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

thanks for your response hope2b. Are you saying about staying in UK? That's what husband prefers. As long as I earn, he doesn't have any objection in helping my sister financially.

6. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

I am not sure what my mom prefers. Initially she asked me to choose UK if that is the better place to kids. but I feel, she would be happy if we are in India. I just came back from india 10 days ago and Things are all very emotional now.

7. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Actually, my mom is not in good health now. This news drained her emotionally and she feels like she lost in her life. She took life as a challenge , when my sister was diagonised as a deaf as a 3 months old baby. but now she is aged and this news breaks her heart. I have been telling her to stay stong, there will be a treatment available one day and we would go for that at any cost..

8. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Based on:
    a) "once in a lifetime opportunity"
    b) husband very supportive of your choices to balance your marriage, your kids and your mom/siblings
    c) financial situation
    d) sister's treatment costs
    e) your kids schooling

Looks like UK is a better option.

9. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your help Aamrapalli. I have accepted the offer and let me see, how things are going. thanks again