1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Quit Sugar Challenge

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by noire, Dec 5, 2018.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I have been trying to quit sugar since 3 years almost. Yes, 3 years. Prior to that, I would have "No sugar" timeouts lasting for an year, then I would go on eating sugar for 2 months (Indian desserts, no chocolates, not a big fan of chocolate) and then again the timeout. And I was able to maintain that. Not from 3 years. I think I know the reason now. The body craves for sugar when one is stressed - really stressed. If one has trouble sleeping, one is forced to maintain "portion control" - which I think is utter BS, not to mention, stressful, then the body will crave sugar automatically. This is because the body goes low on serotonin when it is stressed and sugar provides that soothing effect by increasing dopamine levels in the body. One should clear off their mental blocks whatever they are, and take a deep deep breath and just stop worrying and the sugar control will become very easy. That's what I am trying to do and it somehow seems like a difficult task right now.

noire and rachaputi like this.
  2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your perspective

3. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

I like this idea.

I'm still going strong. No sugar yet, white or brown or any kind. No cravings either, surprisingly. :)

kkrish likes this.
  4. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

I have to say this closely parallels my experience. The most cravings I've had was when I was seriously depressed. That should mean that I'm not that depressed now. Can't even tell anymore :expressionless:

5. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Anyone know which is the best ground cinnamon brand available in India? On Amazon.

6. Sail

Sail New IL'ite

I also want to join with you in sugar challenge. Basically, I love sweets. But for 3 days I started dieting and exercise and trying to avoid sugar.

7. VasudevaKutumb

VasudevaKutumb New IL'ite

Can I join too? How should we post to be a part of this challenge?

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Glycemic Index is a good guide to cut down on high carbohydrate (such as ...sugar, potato (& most tubers), maida flour items, white rice, honey, ) foods.
    What is Glycemic Index? 8 Low GI Foods You Must include In your Diet

When guides for diets say "you must include such-&-such in your diet" they really do not mean "in addition to" whatever you had been eating. Reading somewhere that almonds, and other nuts are good for one, does not recommend a large bowl of nuts, with a couple of beers to chase it all down.

Try the following for a week, and check weight everyday. 2L or more of water/day ; without water, wrinkles might set in, as you lose weight.
    • One egg omelette, with two pieces of toasted french bread, coffee-with-milk (no sugar), water.
    • One small chicken or ham noodle soup or vietnamese pho, small salad with oil/vinegar/herbs dressing, green tea, water.
    • 10000 steps on a treadmill (music in earbuds) Comfortable speed, swing arms, do not hold any side bars. Drink more Water.
    • One phulka/roti, with potato-free vegetable subji rolled within it, glass of red (heavy body, Shiraz, or Cabernet) wine, water.
    If vegetarian/teetotaler, substitute appropriately. When hungry (you will be), drink water, close your eyes, and repeat your favorite meditative mantra and fight it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    noire and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but has anyone tried sugar-free sweeteners?

I've tried a couple a while back and I didn't think they were good, so I gave up. The ones I tried were:
    - Stevia - It was sickly sweet and even in tiny amounts I found it way too sweet.
    - Xylitol - It had a bitter "chemical" tasting aftertaste (think cough syrup).

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I have and they all tasted awful.
    I decided it would be easier to give up tea or coffee, or sweets, than to try these sweeteners.

I stay clear of any sugar-free, fat-free, reduced-sugar, reduced-fat products. These sweeteners are added to artificially enhance flavor.

Nylaa likes this.