1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On Deepika Padukone (773)
    Deepika's grace has been inherited from her dad Prakash, a famous Badminton player.
    upload_2017-12-2_16-48-41.jpeg
    Don't you think Deepika looks exactly like him? When Prakash played matches in his youthful days, there used to be more girls than boys in the Badminton Court.
    It is a pity that Padmavathi is being stalled by vested interests for highly untenable reasons.
    Such talks make them win elections too like we saw in U.P. yesterday! Don't worry. Nothing will happen to Deepika. It was just an election stunt.

2. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Tourism (774)
    You are talking about the adjoining city. I think twice before venturing into the adjoining room! You may have heard of The Four Way Test of Rotarians which goes like:
    "Is it the truth?
    Is it fair to all concerned?
    Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
    Will it be beneficial to all concerned?"
    Before venturing into the adjoining room, I also ask myself questions like:
    Is it necessary for me to go there?
    Do I know why I want to go there?
    Will I remember why I have gone there after reaching there?
    Will I have an answer if people there ask me what do I need?
    I once went to a mall alone with a stupid basket in my hand. The mall's steward asked me if he could help me to get the things I wanted. He then asked me what item I was looking for. I grinned and told him that I was myself trying to get an answer for that.

startinganew likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Penance (775)
    I always wonder why the antonym of monogamy is polygamy. In today's conditions, it would be more appropriate to call it multigamy! I have also mentioned in one of my earlier posts that polyandry is widely prevalent in parts of Himachal. It is reported to be the tradition followed from the days of Pandavas.
    I wonder if you have seen the 1964 movie The Yellow Rolls Royce with an impressive starcast headed by Rex Harrison. The car passes three owners and all the three became victims of infidelity! It was an interesting movie with the best performance coming from Rex Harrison. It has even Omer Sherif! It gives you a feeling that there is more infidelity among the rich and the famous!
    It is that fear that makes me not to elaborate on this subject any further!

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Appellate Authority (776)
    That's a splendid idea. While I was in the Bank, all sanctions made by an official under the Powers vested in him, would have to be reported to the immediate higher authority for confirmation. This was to ensure against misuse or faulty execution of authority. As you say, there could be a pre-sanction committee consisting of the Trio who will have to pre-confirm all boons sanctioned or proposed to be sanctioned by any of the three.
    It is not unusual for a god getting into difficulty because of the boon given by him to a Asura and it becomes necessary for another god to come to slay the asura and save his colleague!

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Today (777)
    I give a quote that I had noted down sometime back for future use:
    "Question: Why do we keep repeating the same mistakes again and again?
    Speaker: There must be some pleasure in repeating those mistakes. Otherwise, why would you want to do it again and again? It’s just for namesake that you are calling it a ‘mistake’. Actually, it is not a mistake at all for you. It is a pleasurable activity, may be even some kind of an accomplishment. Had it really been a mistake, would you have allowed it to be repeated?"
    When I first read it, it appealed to me immensely for I saw a lot of sense in it. On reading your post, I feel happy to have preserved this quote.

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Tumburu ( 778)
    You make them sound almost like the Von Trapp family singers. I visualise Pradha starting 'Do a deer, a female deer' and the rest joining the Chorus! You must read about the horse faced Hayagriva
    We'll continue our pursuit on horse faced celestial beings.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Sports

Prakash Padukone and Viswanathan Anand were those ridiculously cute blokes who shied away from public glare in spite of boyish charm and intellect. They were the heartthrobs before the rakish cricketers swerved the teenage crush. Talking of cricket, before all these Dhonis and Kohlis, there was this drop-dead gorgeous chap named Salil Ankola who looked less like a rugged sportsman but more like an imposing model. He was injured in a match which prevented him from continuing the sport. Soon after, he was casted in a television serial and following that stint, he switched his career from a tail-ender to a television artist. Talk of a door closing and another opening, he had a mouse door closed and mansion gate opened as his destiny. These sportsmen have it all. The best looks, brawn and the brains (to switch careers)!

upload_2017-12-5_22-0-57.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Introspection

I ask myself similar questions when I am asked to explain my withdrawn stance and FB deactivation.

Is it necessary for me to poke the world?
    Do I know why I want to connect with the world?
    Will I follow all those birthdays and anniversaries and albums and shares and status updates?
    Will I have an answer if people there ask me why am I always spewing nonsense that no one cares?

Is it necessary for me to pat the world?
    Do I know why I want to engage the world?
    Will I follow all those 'last year this day' rewind, happy mothers day, happy brothers day, happy fathers day, posters of missing people, podcast of bhoomiya baba, how to order the bark of a miraculous tree, nirvana, karma, moksha and punya discourses, ten plus one commandments, send this to fifteen people and god will bless you, send this to twenty people and god will knock on your front door, funny laugh of a Chinese baby, how to cook octopus sushi, how to know who is spying on you in FB (eh?!) and other dire updates?
    Will I have an answer if people there ask me why I have no interest in above feed?

Is it necessary for me to pluck the world?
    Do I know why I want to interfere with the world?

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Polygamy

It is interesting to note how polygamy is also a tactical ministration to resolve mortality crisis. In a bloodshed war, when brawny menfolk were sacrificed to protect the glory of the nation, the women back at home were constricted in choosing a strapping male. There have been sly reports of polygamy being the tactical order of the day in such situations contravening prevailing ethical texts. The Thirty Years War is one such rumoured overhaul where polygamy was encouraged to uphold the fertility standards. A capable and prosperous man could marry more than one woman as long as he could demonstrate that the wife would be provided for. So you see, it is not only the cultural or social order of the day which dictates the marital grounds but the exigency of the situation keels even the most sacrosanct rules.

It is not the high-strung brickbat from a confronted bigot but the hiss of any lurking golem that I am wary of when we bandy slightly intense topics. Slapdash confrontation can be handled but sleazy speculation is annoying. So, I stay away from polemical topics that may attract a crowd who may malign the intent of QPQ. Hmm! The perks and persecutions in online forums. A catchy title for my next rumination, er, I mean untethered ramble.

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Sports (787)
    Time to look at a stunning sports woman. Meet Prachi Tehlan, Captain of the Indian Netball Team in Commonwealth Games 2010
    upload_2017-12-6_14-0-5.jpeg
    Unfortunately when we talk of good looks, we refer to a film person or a cricketer. The captain of the Indian team is in great demand these days. He is the top ranking model these days! If they had scouted for a chubby old Banker for a model, I may have stood a good chance!