1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    QPQ (728)
    Let me go back to the good old Bank language to reply you.
    Dear Madam,
    Notwithstanding whatever has been stated by you, we beg to inform you that our mind is set on the decision taken by us. The position that we have taken about your role in QPQ is highly tenable and we are not inclined to change our mind. We have our sound reasons in declaring that you have made QPQ a legend. In the circumstances, we see no scope for further discussion in the matter which you may treat as closed.
    Yours etc

2. Cheeniya

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Food and Cooking (730)
    Bhima's name during his exile as a cook was Valala. I am not aware if he made the first Aviyal. I always thought Aviyal was the handiwork of a native of Kerala.
    Being a traditional Tamil Brahmin, I use my fingers for eating at home but use spoons and sporks while eating in Hotels and club parties. I skip such items which I cannot manage with my spoons and sporks. I am always amazed by the Chinese using chopsticks with which they can eat anything and everything! This is one art which has defied me for over half a decade. When invited to a Chinese dinner, I manage with fried rice and sweet and sour vegetables!

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Tourist Guides (731)
    Here is a picture of tourists of 1922:
    [​IMG]

and the tourists of now:
    [​IMG]

Tourism thrives on rich folklore and romanticism. There is a story about Raja Raja Chola who built the legendary Big Temple of Thanjavur. It seems that the chief architect was deeply engrossed in some sculpting work. He was a habitual chewer. The King had appointed an assistant for him to keep supplying the betel leaf so that the artist could carry on undisturbed. One day the artist was deeply engrossed in his work and put his hand out for the betel. It was handed over to him and he found that it was unusually flavoured. He turned back and found that it was the Emperor himself who had made his betel mix. The betel mixer was out for lunch and the Emperor did not want his architect to be disturbed for want of his betel. That was the kind of interest that the Emperor took in the Temple construction.
    When such tales are narrated, nobody questions their authenticity.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Hmm, I just hopped from elsewhere where my chatter is marked as "interesting" to "intriguing" here. I am afraid of strangers. So, I am wary of writing back to visitors. I imagine Cheeniya is more cordial than I am in this 'meet and greet' department. Here's the thing. If you are a stodgy kind and I write playful, you would be offended. If you are a playful kind and I write serious, you will be disenchanted. If you are none and are confused, I shall confuse you more.

I am in a fix what to write back. It took me two days to deliberate - should I write back. What if that "intrigue" is dethroned if I don't return that amusement. What am I to do? What if that "intrigue" dissipates if I connect to that inquiry. It takes so much turmoil and agony to sustain that "intrigue". I have no clue what to write back apart from revealing to you that the only reason I sound intriguing is because I dump a nonsensical essay at even a crisp passing liner.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Let me fall back on the same etiquette and reply to you.

Dear Sir,

With great regret we wish to inform you that your assessment has been rejected. We have internally reviewed our records and found that the so-called highly tenable position is in the red, hence, adhering to our policy of impartial evaluation of customer assets, we deeply regret to apprise you of our decision to foreclose on the prospective upgrade forthwith. The customer has been delinquent of prompt acknowledgements in the initiative. We will continue to monitor her credit report and tenacity and reassess her solvency in due course.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Sleepy Towns

I have only read the plot of the movie now, and I am piqued by the ending. What did Shankaran feel when he saw that gash on Sivakami? Was Shankaran writhing in penance because he wronged Muniyandi or he violated the honour of Sivakami. I get very confused at such agonised souls. They are a paradox of morals and integrity. Was Shankaran pained because he reasoned that Muniyandi was noble? Or he was pained because he betrayed Sivakami? He is acquitted of the former when he finally discovered Muniyandi's failings. I am perplexed which compunction pained him the most. I find people like Shankaran shallow who are in perennial conflict with their morals and desires. They neither have the strength to stand up for their desires nor the abstinence to cull their desires. There are so many troubled Shankarans in this world.

Hehe! You sound like Kurt Vonnegut in his collection of essays titled A man without a country. Do you remember that Village movie by Night Shyamalan? No nations, no borders, but wilderness and selfhood. Are there any habitats where humans can live with no civil laws but only personal whims like that Walden and Walden II.

Temple food is delicious. Halwa of Gurudwara to lemon rice of temples is yum. In an eye blink, I would convert to any religion that ordains biryanis in its prasaad repertory. I swear, even if that religion is Scientology or Rosicrucianism. I heard that kitchen work in temple complexes is invariably voluntary and rarely a paid service. I have a brilliant strategy. Men are shy to learn cooking at home, therefore, with such voluntary work to dish up ceremonious puri, chole, halwa, lemon rice and other delicacies, men might learn cooking faster with no reservations. It's a win-win!

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Walk

Ah! Forrest Gump. That was a legendary movie. Running is more invigorating than walking. However, I prefer walking because it does not restrict the idle brewings in the brain whereas you cannot do that while running unless you are okay to collide with a lamp post.

While walking, you can indulge in all kinds of nonsensical pursuits in your inner mind like imagining Zarafa travelling from Egypt to France with her bovine companions.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Sleep

That makes sense. When our epics are translated into foreign languages, such native language wordplay is lost. I wonder how such language-related defining moments are credited in translations. Back to the narrative, it was unfair to hoodwink Kumbhakarna with some linguistic loophole. OK, agreed, his verbal conjugation is questionable but still the Gods should not have pulled a fast one on him.

Added to my watchlist.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Soothsayers

Long ago, I came across the word "forsooth", which means "indeed". I loved that word. For a week, I indiscriminately flung that word on everyone I knew.

"The food is good, forsooth"
    "We must leave now, forsooth"
    "That is Madhuri Dixit, forsooth"

I felt empowered by that word. Sooth = truth.

Going by that etymology, soothsayers don't divine the future, but reveal the truth. If their trade-craft is marketed as "truth tellers" instead of "fortune tellers", not a soul would knock on their door. Who wants to know the truth? Every one wants to know their fortune. Hence, the Old English soothsayer (truth teller) evolved into Modern English soothsayer (fortune teller). There are many eager claimants for fortune but none for truth.