1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

QPQ

I am yet to surmount impediments in my writing. When you stutter, you are advised to talk more. When you stagger, you are advised to run more. When you fear, you are advised to risk more. Similarly, I want to write to conquer my writing phobia. Initially, I intended to scribble away in a journal. QPQ has been a boon to me because it made my endeavour more memorable than a solitary monologue in an evernote cranny. It has kept me focused, challenged, and connected to a kindred soul.

I am someone who needs a strong impetus to go beyond the 7th, and the 70th, but 700th is very unlikely. I credit you for driving this enterprise with equal gusto.

Happy 700th post!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Cheeniya

These days when I read up anything interesting, I mark it down as QPQ-mention. Ha! I found someone interesting who should grace our QPQ pantheon of topics.

Ahoy, welcome Greg Packer! Who? The man of the street Greg Packer is the most quoted common man in the media. His fame, or notoriety, is claiming media attention for being the inaugural man in the line from sales to celebrity sightings. If you had thought that getting a word edgewise in popular media is impossible, try waking up at 4 am and queuing for the next hotshot gizmo to have your mugshot taken and splashed in Page 3, er, Page 4, may be Page 5.

Gregory F. Packer (born December 18, 1963), is a retired American highway maintenance worker from Huntington, New York, best known for frequently being quoted as a "man on the street" in newspapers, magazines and television broadcasts from 1995 to the present. He has been quoted in more than 100 articles and television broadcasts as a member of the public (that is, a "man on the street" rather than a newsmaker or expert).

Packer's status as a frequent interviewee is mostly due to his hobby of attending public appearances of celebrities and other media events and being first in line on such occasions, leading to him being dubbed a professional line sitter. He has consequently had the opportunity to meet people including Mariah Carey, Garth Brooks, Dennis Rodman, Phil Lavrovksy and Ringo Starr, as well as at least three presidents of the United States: Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush.

He is credited as being the first in line to purchase an iPhone at the Apple Store at Fifth Avenue in New York. He began camping in front of the store at 5:00 a.m. on Monday, June 25, 2007, 110 hours before the iPhone went on sale. He performed a similar stunt at the same Apple Store for the release of the iPad, but was bumped from the first position in line due to not having a reservation.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    Sleepy Towns (690)
    The most beautiful spots on earth are in deep wilderness. The tourists who throng to such places is an infinitesimal percentage of tourists who make a beeline to Paris and its like. I have visited Badrinath and Kedarnath twice besides travelling extensively in the breathtaking Lahul and Spiti Valley of the Himalayas.There is a lot more life in the wilderness of the world than in major cities. My son-in-law's mother lives in a wild area in Andhra where she has built a tree-house. I go there once in a while just for the joy of spending time in it. While I stay there, I get a feeling that I am the lord of all I behold.
    Sages like Ramana Maharshi lived in spiritual wilderness even whey were physically present in busy towns. I have seen such people in the crowded Varanasi too.
    That's my great fortune. But for you, this QPQ would have been dead and buried by now. Visitors to our rambling number a little over 20000!

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

A long while back I was in Naju, in Korea. That used to be the capital of an old Kingdom, and a location very similar to the central valley in California. Lots of fruit trees, and agribusiness. There was the Pansori Museum in the city. In the old day when they had no microphones and amplifiers, singers who can project their voices were the only ones who were heard o_O, and therefore appreciated by the fief and the hoi polloi. Singers would practice standing on one hilltop and projecting a throaty sound summoned up from their abdomen. Pansori is the traditional ballad (story-poetry), usually performed by a single story teller with an assistant who punctuated the story with drum-beat periods, commas and exclamation points.
    Picture of the Museum:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the museum, there is a sound proofed room where the visitor may go in, and make the biggest sound she can, and she'd be graded for how she rates against the best Pansori artists as well as all the visitors who come to yell in there.

Wiki says this about pansori:
    Pansori (Korean: 판소리, also spelled p'ansori) is a Korean genre of musical storytelling performed by a vocalist and a drummer.[1] The music is usually performed by one sorikkun (Korean: 소리꾼, a singer) and one gosu (a drummer playing a barrel drum called buk Korean: 북). The term pansori is derived from pan (Korean: 판, meaning "a place where many people gather"), and sori (Korean: 소리, meaning "sound"). UNESCO proclaimed the pansori tradition a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity on November 7, 2003.​

Youtube has a lot of Pansori videos to see. However, if you were ever in RoK, a live theatre is something I'd ℞.
    Pansori might also make Star Trek fans imagine that they are in a Klingon concert.

Primer:

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On walk (691)
    Good luck for you! I have specially selected this song to make your job easier. You know who has sung it?IRA!
    You may have heard of Kumbhakarna's bungling. He wanted to pray God for annihilation of Devas and when God came before him, he asked for permanent slumber! I don't know if I committed a similar bungling. The more I walk, the more weight I gain! So instead of gaining all that weight walking, I do it sitting in front of my computer!
    I wonder if you have seen 'Our Man Flint' starring James Coburn. I attach a short clip of the movie. See how Coburn sleeps there! He is kind of a guy in that movie where he spends 48 hours a day! This reminds me of a story of a guy who prayed God for a favour and when God appeared before him, the guy wanted his day to be increased to 25 hours. When God asked him why, he said he badly needed that extra hour of sleep!

6. JeanBrewer

JeanBrewer New IL'ite

What a splendid thread! Many thanks for sharing this information. Reading opinions of everyone who hang out here is a really enjoyable deed!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
  7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Scaremongering (692)
    You have hit the nail on its head. When there is a minor scene in a movie involving a monkey or a cow, this PETA guys raise hell because there is a great possibility of substantial compensation paid to the Animal Rights activists. What will they get by going after the Parrot-astrologers in Star Hotels? If they go after the hotel, they'll throw the astrologers out to do business back on the street. They get a few dimes a day for doing this business. You know what? They cut the wings of the birds to prevent them from flying away!
    I have heard a story. Once a guy went to an astrologer to check out on what his future was likely to be. The astrologer told him that the following five years would be extremely trying . When the client asked him hopefully what would happen thereafter, the astrologer answered 'You will get used to it!'
    Astrologers are clever guys. As a rule they predict a very prosperous future for every one. If what they tell everyone comes true, the land will be flowing with milk and honey like in the Satya Yuga!

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Singing (693)
    Get inspired by singers like Asha Bhosle. Her song in Umrao Jaan captivates me every time I hear it. And see her variety between Chura Lia and this song!

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Foodies (695)
    Nala and Bhima - were well known for their expertise in supasatra, science of cooking. Nala wrote the first ever book on cookery called Pakadarpanam.
    According to epic tradition, King Nala’s pakasatra (science of cooking) was documented in Pakadarpana. This text exists in different interpretations, and one of them was printed in Sanskrit in Banaras in 1915. There are various translations of this work in regional languages. The following notes and recipes from Pakadarpana are based on its Hindi translation by Pandit Harihar Prasad Tripathi. (From peppertrail.com)
    Bhima was an equally good cook that helped him in during through the period of exile.
    Here is the list of World's Top Ten cooks and you will see that they are all men!
    I am perfectly willing to concede that there have been equally great cooks among women too like my mum and my wife! I have no doubt that you are an excellent cook.

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Tourist Guides (698)
    The Yaksha, hero of Kalidasa's Meghaduta, was the best tourist guide ever! How he describes the route to the clouds to meet his wife and convey his message. I remember having mentioned about this earlier too. Meghaduta is reckoned as Kalidasa's most imaginative and eloquent work.
    My second son-in-law swears by Google for his trips both within and outside the city of his residence. Even the drivers of taxicabs have recourse to google to drive their way around. In another decade tourist guides will vanish without a trace like the dinosaurs!