1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Nonsense

Vajrayana* Buddhism is framed in the context of Realms and Mandalas and is a journey filled with challenges to attain Buddhahood in Pure Land. But our QPQ Enlightenment is fast-track and encapsulated in just three levels.

Level 1: Common thinking
    Level 2: Elevated thinking
    Level 3: Nonsensical thinking

We both (with our enriching and amusing experiences in life) have crossed Level 1 and Level 2 long ago. We are in the highest denomination of QPQ Mandala (Level 3: Nonsensical thinking).

[*]: Notwithstanding nuanced enlightenment in Mahayana, Theravada and Vajrayana schools of Buddhism.

upload_2017-11-13_12-45-3.png

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On Affirmation (654)
    I got more interested in sleepy towns after reading this. I googled for the top sleepy towns of India and I was floored by what I saw. They are absolutely captivating. I feel sorry that I am living in a wrong city. I am a misfit here. My slow mind is often puzzled by this fast, crowded city.
    Spiritual persons are of two kinds. One is a globetrotting type who have their own private jets. The other is glued to a specific place all their life but attract people from all over the world. Ramana Maharshi was one like that.
    I am idle but you are not. Both of us delight in seamless rambling. Senile ramblers have it easy. They have no tasks to perform and in course of time, rambling becomes their avocation.

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Mornings (655)
    I love that phrase 'a slice from the walk of life'. And the singer keeps walking through that lovely song. If you sing while you walk, you tend to pause every few steps, look around and make sure that the world is as happy as you are. I have walked for several years at Marine Beach but the joggers have robbed the peace of walking. Walking is bliss both for the body and the mind but jogging is only for the body.

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Sufis (656)
    Rumi describes the Sufi as 'the son of time present'
    He expands on this saying:
    Past and future weil God from our sight;
    Burn up both of them with fire. How long
    Wilt thou be partitioned by these segments, like reed?'
    But the most remarkable of his statements is this:
    'When a mother cries to her sucking babe, 'Come O son, I am thy mother!'
    Does the child answer, 'O mother, show a proof
    That I shall find comfort in taking thy milk?'

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Creativity (658)
    You are talking of visual arts. Let me tell you something interesting about classical music. In the olden days, there used to be no particular way in which a Carnatic Music concert was rendered. Songs were chosen and sung at the singer's whims and fancy. It was Ariyakkudi Ramanujam who studied this in depth and evolved a fixed style in which concerts should be rendered. That became the accepted style and till this day, the pattern evolved by him is followed. I have listened to his concerts and what unforgettable experience it was! Thanks to his efforts, carnatic music concerts continue to follow a traditional pattern. In a few days from now, the music season will start in Chennai and for a couple of months the city will be full of traditional music. What a respite it will be from the jarring film songs!

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Scaremongering (659)
    Paul was sensational predicting 12 out of 14 winners. He had a soft corner for Germany.
    In our parts, predictions by a Parrot are very popular. Even some star hotels have them in their lounge where the customers throng to hear the predictions of parrots!

7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Singing (660)
    My maternal grandma was supposed to have been a reasonably good singer when she was young. At 80, she continued to sing but much to our dismay. She would say that her voice remained the same but not people's taste! She would say that the people's ears were not the same as they were five decades back and add that film music had changed the taste of the people!

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Morning Ragas (661)
    The morning ragas of Carnatic and Hindustani music are broadly in the Raagas indicated:
    Carnatic: Bhupalam, Revagupti, Bauli, Malayamarutham, Valaji, Desakshi
    Hindustani: Bhupali Todi, Lalit, Vibhas, Sohini, Ramakali, Jogiya
    Bhupalam is the most sung of all these raagas. These are sung pre-dawn. The following are post-dawn raagas:
    Carnatic: Bilahari, Kedaram, Hamsadwani, Dhanyasi, Asaveri, Dhirasankarabharanam
    Hindustani: Bilawal, Bhairavi, Bilaskhani Todi, Gurjari Todi, Asavari, Jaunpuri

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Foodies (662)
    I know just through hearsay. The authentication of what I know would follow only after tasting the food you cook!

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Ageing (664)
    Under the Ashrama System, I am in the fourth stage namely Sanyasa. This is the stage that is 'marked by renunciation of material desires and prejudices, represented by a state of disinterest and detachment from material life, generally without any meaningful property or home (Ascetic), and focussed on Moksha, peace and simple spiritual life'. I have reached that age alright but have I reached that stage of peace and spirituality of life? I realise that the varnasrama lays down the rules for the pursuit of life under the four distinctive ages. Age is no more the defining factor for what we should do. Everyone does everything. News like this shatters the very principle of Varnasrama. It's all chaotic.
    When I left India's leading Bank at 48 despite being in a fairly top position, no eye brows were raised in my family. When I certified my being alive last week, (which is an annual feature in the month of November), the staff member reminded me that I have spent more years as a pensioner than in active service! The Bank is now paying for my pursuit of nonsense!