1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42
    Dear jayasala
    My grandma would often say that while Ramayana extolled the virtues of rightful living, Mahabaratha taught us the way to survive in adversity. When Ravana is lying in the battlefield unable to fight any longer, Rama tells him to go and come back on the following day. In Mahabaratha, Krishna employs all possible ways to ensure Pandava's victory. That's why traditionally, reading of Ramayana daily is recommended but not Mahabaratha! Krishna's passing away heralds the birth of Kaliyuga when all norms of life would throw all aspects of Dharma and ethics to the dust bin. Can anyone declare, 'This may be Kaliyuga but I live a very Dharmic life'? Kaliyuga is ordained by God and we have no option but to say 'Thy shall be done'
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

@kkrish and @shyamala1234
    She made my day too by reading even the subsequent discussions to the Original Rambling!

kkrish likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    At times when young like your sister in law and children go away from this world I get many doubts about God. Many must have prayed for your sister in law but God did not listen to them and she went away too soon. At such times I get many doubts about God, karma siddhantha . No answer convinces me!
    But still we pray God!!!!!!
    Syamala

kkrish and Cheeniya like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234

My dear Syamala
    This question is not simple to answer. Even gods found it difficult to answer. Many people ask why there were four avatars of Vishnu in the purest Satya Yuga, three in Thretha Yuga when moral standing was still very high, two in Dwabara yuga when decline in morality became quite perceptible and one final avatar in Kali yuga.. More avatars were required in the purest avatar when God had to be most vigilant to maintain the purity of his creation. Thretha Yuga was almost as pure as Satya yuga with a minuscule downward trend in morality. When the level of morality starts sinking rapidly in Dwapara Yuga, even gods find it difficult to handle and massive destruction of wrong doers is required. In Kaliyuga when morality takes a total beating, only one Avatar is scheduled to visit the earth for the total extermination of humans.
    In the Mausala Parva of Mahabharat, Gandhari blames Lord Krishna for not using his power to stop the annihilation of all her sons and curses him to undergo a similar fate. In Uddahava Geetha, Lord Krishna explains it all and proves that all wrong doers are destroyed even if they are God's children. The total destruction of Krishna's yadhava community with their whole kingdom is cited by him as example. He talks of his own end shortly with a sense of resignation.
    When someone close to us dies many questions raise in our mind. When the one year old child of the famous Krishna devotee, Poet Poothanam (Kerala) dies hours before the birthday celebration, Poothanam sings in his famous Gyanappana "While little Krishna is dancing in our hearts, do we need little ones of our own?"
    We tend to look at things from our limited field of vision but highly evolved Saints look at things in a much larger perspective. The least that we can do is to keep pondering over it
    Sri

sindmani and kkrish like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

In Treda Yuga, Lord Rama came to kill all the demons from His childhood as there are only handful and the rest were righteous. Even Kooni's advice to Kaikeyi and Kaikeyi's request to send Lord Rama to the forest were all considered as not sins but a step for Lord Rama to execute Ravana. Lord Rama used Sukriva and Hanuman to fight the battle against evil.

In Dwapara Yuga, Lord Krishna had Kingdoms filled with bad qualities and He was afraid that it would be a nuisance to the normal human beings with right qualities. He decides to destroy the evil to establish Dharma in the world and used Pandava's to establish righteousness.

In Kali Yuga, every human being has good and bad qualities and if the Lord were to come as Avatar, He would have to destroy the entire population. So the only option is to transform the human beings to get rid of bad qualities through various methods. Now, how does He transforms the humans who are ready to bribe the Lord for His own personal benefit?

The life is created by the Lord out of love and the urge to feel loved. However, if the love is the only ingredient the creations had, they would cease to exist independently and therefore, the Lord gave free will to the creations to act out of their own will with no memories of the past actions. When this free will is used to gain personal benefits the duality strengthens resulting in increased bad qualities and more bad Karma whereas when this free will is used to seek the love of the Lord, duality ceases to exist, good qualities prevail extinguishing bad karma.

Every human being is sent with a spark to seek the origin and more we explore that spark, the better life becomes. We are like a match stick with the head, the spark to ignite the urge to be in union with the Lord. It has the potential to burn all of the consequences of our bad actions and move us towards the Creator.

Unless one is an Avatar, In Kali Yuga, every life is a sign of the mistakes we have committed in the past and an opportunity to fix it by good actions. Moving from selfishness to selflessness is the only path for transformation. Good thoughts, good habits and good company are the steps. Exploring everything inside of us is the best way.

Viswa

sindmani likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra

My dear Viswa
    Thank you for giving me yet another perspective to the Yugas and the presence of the Lord in each yuga. I am grateful to you for your profound feedback.
    This reminds me of a lecture delivered by the Paramacharya at Mylapore in Chennai years ago. He called a child and asked him what would he do if his mother scolded him. The child replied that he would cry. Paramacharya then explained that it would enhance the child's perceptive ability if instead of crying he tried to understand why his mother scolded him. When we undergo bad times, we get upset with God instead of trying to understand the reason for God's action. Never bear a grudge against God whose system of justice is impeccable, he advised.
    I am grateful to you for your profound clarification of my understanding of the Yugas and Avathars.
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  7. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

A reply that reflects my feelings. I believe in God and that belief has always given me the strength to face what comes my way. But I don't believe in saying that if my wishes come true I will go to the temple and offer something to God. I did it twice more than thirty years ago. After that never.

8. Cheeniya

@LakshmiKMBhat

I have done it not just twice but quite a few times in my life. There is no more need for any barter with the Almighty as I have found my peace now. Peace after realising the futility of all my efforts to find happiness!

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Reciprocally, you provoke my shortcomings in conversational language. I don't remark often (or I do) as I mostly comment on your content than construct, but I admire the natural syntax and style in your self expressions: the way you fold your sentences and turn your phrases.

In all the three replies to me, and other exchanges as well, your expression rolls out smooth with no rough edges or protuberances. That comes with habit and passion which you have aplenty. When I read blogs, I observe the composition and rhyme in the prose. Few blogs are heavily stylised that they appear garish and stilted with jutting vocabulary and contrived joiners. I am, at times, confused like now whether to comment on the style or the structured responses.

I shall write more later. Love your lustrous style!

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    I seldom get tongue-tied but no tongue can remain untied at such lavish praise. I am happy that you like my style of writing. Hope my writing continues to interest you.

Kamalji likes this.