1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You know what I like about you — you make me slide away and read about Rao Yi, ET protein, the sonic hedgehog protein, the desert hedgehog protein, the indian hedgehog protein, the controversy surrounding such nomenclature, holoprosencephaly, four-eyed fish, anableps, livebearers, onesided livebearers, mating on only one side: right-handed males with left-handed females and vice versa, and then return to the post and inquire, why don't they teach such fascinating facts in school, or did they while I was snoring away. I didn't know that eyes split from one single oblong patch in embryo. This is new to me. Don't wait for an occasion to shoot such fascinating facts. Roll along as and when you feel like. I, for one, go through all your passing references. Don't be afraid.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On money and Denominations (422)
    One cent discount is an old game now. Discounts now are more than 50% of the cost indicated.
    See this ad:
    [​IMG]
    This is from a famous network. I am not a marketing expert to explain how this system works but I know that there is something wrong here. Buyers are extremely happy that they got a whopping discount of over 50% Everyone is happy ever after! When compared to this the one cent discount looks a fleabite!
    Does anyone ever wonder whether the six-pack of Hrithik was earned by stuffing himself with that branded drink? Soft drinks can earn us only a pot belly and acute acidity. It is so illogical that people spend hundreds of rupees on soft drinks to earn a pot-belly! I recall the days when a bottle of soda cost 5 paise! They came in bottles closed with a glass ball which had to be pushed inside which brought the soda gushing out in great fury! The consumption of the soda would be followed by at least thirty minutes of nonstop belching!
    A friend of mine once wrote a letter to The Hindu suggesting that Chennai Transport should insert this ad in the papers:
    Travel by our bus and get a massage totally free of cost!
    I have not travelled much by bus in the recent years but I used bus transport during my college days. You would find in the bus a marked concentration of male standing passengers close to the ladies' seat!

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On currency (423)
    Talking of coins and valuables, you would have read enough about all the treasures unearthed from the Royal Temple of Padmanabhaswamy in Trivandrum. It is estimated that if all the hidden valuables now unearthed are evaluated at the current rate, this temple might beat Tirupathi in assets! Please see this clip:

Look at some of the fascinating gold coins shown there! Who says India is a poor country?!

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On spelling (424)
    I don't believe in forecasts and predictions any more. For over 50 years every prediction made to me turned wrong.
    I am sure you have heard this song:
    "Que sera, sera,
    Whatever will be, will be;
    The future's not ours to see.
    Que sera, sera,
    What will be, will be."

A very sensible song, isn't it? If we start believing in predictions and luck, we start behaving like your friend. I know a guy who wrote his exams with a particular pen though that pen let him down badly many times! I never understand people going to an astrologer to know about their future. Why does any one want to know how his future likely to be? It is like reading a Hercule Poirot thriller from the last page! The mystery of future makes our life exciting. Why do we have to spoil it?

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Remakes (425)
    I have come across some extremely serious Malayalam movies dubbed in Tamil and released with such bizarre titles as 'The blazing lust of a house wife"! I have seen mostly adolescents thronging such theatres. There have been incidents of unruly behaviour when the film did not come upto their 'expectations'!

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On confusion (426)
    Fidel Castro once declared that 'if you calculate 15 minutes a day to shave, that is 5,000 minutes a year spent shaving.'I considered it a telling statement from the most remarkable man of the globe. As usual I swung into action and took up my calculator. After some frenzied working, I found Castro never spoke a truer word. I fondled my beard affectionately and thanked it for freeing some colossal time which I could use more purposefully like eating.
    I love French. It makes my English colourful. The good thing about French in a place like Chennai is its ability to make our conversation effective even if the French words have no relation whatsoever to the words you oration!
    A lovely sum up. Is it your own or Ogden Nash who is a first cousin of mine!

7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Shakespeare's Signature (427)
    Caryl Brahms and SJ Simon: No Bed for Bacon made me extremely curious and I too started hunting the net without a net. I scrolled several pages but there was no clue about this book. Bacon may not have his bed, I told myself lamely , but I have mine. I sighed happily and continued my search at a much less frenetic pace. I'll be back on this subject when munna falls from the heavens!

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On scent (428)
    Once I came across a sad looking mouse. I asked him (pardon the gender) what was his problem. He lamented that he had enough problem in hunting out for a genuine piece of cheese but to make matters worse, the cheese guys had started coming out with flavoured ones. With a face becoming a strong index of his mind, he threw this ad on my face, FLAVOURED ARRAN CHEESES
    I felt a lump in my throat too. I looked at the sheet he threw at me. My stomach turned when I read stuff like Oak Smoked Cheddar and Smokey Garlic Cheddar.
    'Why can't a cheese be like a cheese?' I felt like crying like Professor Higgins!

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On one eyed (429)
    That was a cute one! You know what? All this chanting on my beard has enthused it to grow to gigantic proportions! And the beard sucks in all the residual hair on the head.

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    (430)
    Yes it is Thalapathi with music by Ilayaraja. I love all the songs but my favourite is this: