1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Why reach for rampant 'theories' when we have facts? Did you know that all vertebrates start with one 'eye' or 'eye-field' right at the front in the anterior forebrain? This is then split into two later on in embryonic development. When this split does not happen, we get cyclopia. Countless cases have been recorded in a variety of animals (Google images for 'cyclopia - animals') including humans, and poor, godly Polyphemus, who went from one to zero thanks to the thieving Odysseus. Here are some representative images below of a cyclopic shark and kitten.
    Cyclops.jpg .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Cheeniya and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On Home (402)
    When such eloquence pours from your keyboard, I know you are home! Your getting back to your familiar terrain sounds poetical. I am really finding it difficult to respond to this one with equal gusto but I fished something out of the web which possibly would save me from the embarrassment of foot in the mouth!

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thank you Sir for that one eyed cyclops. Even in u tube it is frightening, but anyway it is very apt to continue the thread. God Bless us all.
    Regards.

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Money and Denominations (403)
    By prizing something at Rs.499/- or Rs.1999/-, the shop keepers play on the psychology of buyers. If a client wants a shirt in the Rs.400 range, the shop keeper shows one at Rs.499/- The buyer is happy that he could get something for less than Rs.500! The prize of Rs.499/- still registers in his mind as something within his range of less than Rs.500. The Bata shoes are well known for this gimmick! It has been quite a while since I saw that two rupee note. Notes of less tan Rs.100 denomination have no potential for buying anything worthwhile except a soft drink or betel leaves!
    About 70% of Chennai is unaccessible for owners of expensive and roomy cars. I know guys who park their cars some 3 to 4 kilometers from their destination and travel to their place by auto! I pity those people whose mobility is severely affected by their roomy cars!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Spelling (404)
    We buy a Tamil weekly at home and it has two forecast sections, one based on Birth Stars and the other on numerological value of our date of birth. It is seldom that the two predict the same fate! If my stars predict roses and honey, my birthday will spell hell and heavy water! Worse is the numerological value of our name. People do no mind disfiguring their names completely for better fortune in their lives!

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Romance Counselling (405)
    You are right about these movies. While some adaptations are just cheap imitations, there are experts who ensure that the same depth of the original is retained in the copy too. Bengal and Malayalam directors are experts in this game. There is a young guy in Tamil now who remakes Korean films and they are extremely interesting. If people are able to remake foreign movies in Indian languages, it is only natural that they take lot of pains to give them a local flavour. Why talk about imports from abroad? Devdas has been remade sixteen times from 1928!

7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Confusion (406)
    Precisely. Another phrase that never fails to fog me is 'more often than not'. Sounds so stupid. My English professor had a habit of using this phrase at least ten times a day and made us all tear our hairs. It was his way of settling his scores with us for all the pin prick we gave him. He was the major source of the start of our baldness! But I am grateful to him in a way. He might have been the cause of my hair loss but it has been a blessing in disguise. My biggest asset today are my bald head and beard!
    It gratifies me to know that I am not alone in this rhino and hippo hippo confusion. God does love his little fun!

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Scent (407)
    I have often wondered about it. Not only a mouse but even the tiny ants make a beeline to the goodies stored meticulously. When I was discussing this with my grand daughter, she asked me what would happen if they caught a severe cold. Her doubt was whether they could continue to be able to smell despite the cold. I told her that she had a point there that I would not be able to answer until I came across a mouse with a cold.

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Cows (408)
    Panchamirtham used to be a speciality of Palani Murugan Temple. It is now available in many other temples. Because of the demand for this product in Palni, it has become a big Industrial activity there. And so is the holy ash highly perfumed. Nobody returns from Palni without these two items. The idol of Lord Subramanya was made by an amalgam of nine poisons or Navapashanam. It was made by an ancient sage. Use of water and other liquids to bathe the idol has caused great erosion of the idol and so they do not perform that ritual on the priceless idol anymore.

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    One eyed (409)
    You can add two more to your list now. Long John Silver who keeps singing 'oh, ho, ho and a bottle of rum'

The other is Cheeniya who keeps you engaged all the time!