1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On Mouse -Revisited (335)
    This counter from you reminds me of Aldous Huxley's Point Counter Point. About the mouse and cat, I have very little to choose since the choice has already been made by the user. There is no point showing a dozen other mounts to him since he is sold on Mouse. Further if you look at the difference in the meanings between mousy and ratty, you would appreciate the selection of Ganesha.
    This is what the dictionary says:
    Ratty: bad-tempered and irritable.
    Mousy: shy, timid, and quiet.

2. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On scent (336)
    That's a heartening news but tell me, are scents still made by killing animals? If so I would safely switch over to sandalwood!

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On aging stars (350)
    What is the Hindi version of Shirley's The Apartment? I am asking you only to avoid it if ever I get a chance to see it. I saw a Hindi adaptation of Becket and I am still livid. Please don't miss Debby's Unsinkable Molly Brown. We have talked enough and more about Audrey Hepburn or otherwise I would have gone gaga about Breakfast at Tiffany's.

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Search Engines (251)
    I give you two pictures here:
    [​IMG]
    It is a man reading. Look at the position of his left eye and the cat relaxing next to him. I am sure you get the point.
    [​IMG]
    That's the Gibson Girl reading. Look at books that she has finished and those that are waiting to be read.
    Why am I showing these two pictures? Just to point out how the Search Engines have spoiled the reading habits of the mid '50s

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Shakespeare (352)
    That's a bit intriguing. Why did he buy the house on one day and mortgaged it the very next day? This is a scenario fit enough to be the subject of a Shakespearean play. Title: The Mortgagee of England (Comedy)
    A former colleague of mine is of the view that one should be weary of a client who has half a dozen signatures!

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Chandamama (355)
    My case was entirely different. My English learning started at the 6th Standard. The whole of that year was spent on the alphabets and some simple words. We used to copy some English words in Tamil and memorise too! My second language was Sanskrit and thus I became a jack of all trades but master of none. I must say something about our Sanskrit learning in the Schools and Colleges those days. Excepting for the questions on meanings of words and use in sentences, the other questions were needed to be answered in only English at the college level. With that provision, we could easily get the Pass Mark in Sanskrit! I am really glad that I completed all my academic pursuits by 1964.

7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On movies (356)
    To be honest with you, the names of some movies are never heard of by me. But then I could see only limited number of them as selected by two or three English theatres in Madras then. I still remember Minerva, the only air conditioned theatre on the first floor in George Town area. It showed only English movies as a custom and a rule. I remember watching the famous movie Hatari which featured the Baby Elephant Walk by Henri Mancini.
    This theatre is now Batcha Theatre I hear and screens only Tamil movies on the second run.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya,
    Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    I was only pointing out those who are talking against technological development and saying that all bad things like the said"Blue Whale" game and other crimes through internet are happening because of that.
    As you have said all innovations were meant for easing the human life only, but they are abused by criminals.
    PS

9. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    Dear PS
    There is as much good in this world as there is bad. Like day and night. We are just witnesses. What can we do about any bad things that we come across? Can we revolt? We just settle down to be silent spectators. You are telling one side of the story and I am telling the other side. That's all. Taking a light view of all that we come across is my way of reconciling myself to the life around us. Your point is well taken.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Mouse/Mounts (357)
    I am really thrilled that we are closing in on this mystery. Read this Vimana - Wikipedia
    Flying is not post Wright Brothers idea. In fact very frequent references for them can be found in our scriptures.
    Looking from this perspective, the names that our gods gave for their machines are quite compatible with the modern trend. The one that Ravana had was a made to order thing as you can see here Pushpaka Vimana of Ravana
    I am quite excited with the progress we have made so far!