1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I was thrilled by this clip.

The original is one of my peppy favorites.

Amulet and startinganew like this.
  2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

The internet is agog with the trailer of Disney's Frozen II.

Six years after the critically acclaimed Frozen, can Disney sustain the fantasy magic again? The trailer is inhibited only in its plot but not the grandiosity. The opening animation in the teaser indicates skilled ascension from its predecessor. The music is energetic! The visuals are sinister! Don't know of any reworking of 'Let it go' in this upcoming film.

It is praise-worthy how the animation industry has progressed through the years just by watching the rendering of the ocean in the trailer.

The trailer is darkly and resolute to freeze and command our attention.

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Wisdom is disguised in children's books, hence read twice for deferred revelation. Once in childhood for amusing verse, next in adulthood for profound guidance.

A widespread malaise of privileged lifestyle is the accrued world-weariness. Often with age, boredom sets in. If anyone approaches me with world weariness, life is good but not great, I am to remind them of Bartholomew and the Oobleck written by Dr Seuss. A children's book for an adult's mind.

Onset of the story, the King of Didd is dispirited with his uninteresting life. The clockwork routine and predictability gnaws at him.

All spring when the rain came down, he growled at that
    All summer when the sunshine came down, he growled at that
    All autumn when the fog came down, he growled at that
    And that winter when the snow came down, he started shouting! "This snow! This sunshine! This rain! BAHH! These four things that come down from my sky. I am mighty tired of the same four things. I want something NEW to come down"

At the behest of the king, Bartholomew Cubbins, the page boy, summoned the royal magicians to create that something NEW to fall from the sky to cheer up the disenchanted king.

The royal magicians huddled in Neeka-tave mountain worked up the fumes of oobleck, a slimy greeny substance. The slithering fumes rose higher and settled in the clouds.

The next day, it rained oobleck.

It rained droplets, then blobs, then splotches, green and sticky slime everywhere.

The Bell ringer, the Captain of the Guards, the Royal Laundress were held up and stuck in the green glue.

Even the king was entangled by the sticky oobleck.

upload_2019-6-19_23-12-18.png

Finally, oobleck was cleared with the intervention of Bartholomew and an apology from the king for desiring adventure out of the normal.

The King proclaimed a brand new holiday in honor of the four perfect things that come down from the sky. The King knew now that these four old-fashioned things ...the rain, the sunshine, the fog and the snow were good enough for any king in all the world, especially for him, the old King Derwin of Didd.

The derwin demons in us too crave for flamboyant adventure ... boring routine, wish something more ... but the conjured ooblecks wisen us up that the uninteresting life with age is indicative of a well-poised and tranquil life. Beware the disastrous yet fanciful ooblecks!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Emma married Charlie, a country doctor. But she gets bored with her country living. There is only so much --peace, quiet, flowers, butterflies, birds, cows, tranquility -- a girl can take. So she gives into a little bit of "something new"s that come her way.
    :wink1:Ooblecks that are like post-it adhesives, instead of crazy-glue?:wink1:

I think Gustav F. was forced to write the ending he did, because he was trying to sell the novel to a society that wanted all to have as grim a life as anyone else was having. No exceptions allowed. Madame Bovary - Wikipedia

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya
    After a very long time when I tried to log into IL. I forgot my password and had to create new password. Now when I try to read this post my head is just spinning. Here everything seems to be Greek to my aging grey cells as the present day youngsters are much more knowledgeable.
    PS

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    What aging grey cells? Mine is equally grey and aging too. We sail in the same boat!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya
    You are admin and managing the site and your memory power is stronger than me. My memory power is diminishing day by day and I have to see my digital clock to assure the day and date. Perhaps the medicines we take is also a cause for diminishing memory.
    PS

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    It was indeed an interesting share. 'Chuckle worthy' if you have not already patented the expression!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1388 Alexander Pope
    I do not know if we have discussed earlier the story of Ashtavakra, the sage who had eight bends in his body
    upload_2019-6-28_16-2-27.jpeg
    He was the Guru of king Janaka. You can hear a discourse about this sage by Satguru Jakki Vasudev

Thyagarajan likes this.