1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Trot trotting travel sightseeing gorging .. in coming days. Will resume Quid on return.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A very rare combination according to Bernard Shah!

3. Cheeniya

I looked at Cosmopolitan from another perspective, namely that of the famous cocktail bearing that name. I got this:
    upload_2019-5-3_15-14-27.jpeg
    'Though this drink's origin is often-disputed, the most recognized creation of the Cosmo is credited to Toby Cecchini, of The Odeon in Manhattan in 1987. According to Kyle Ford, a rep for Cointreau, he was “introduced to the Cosmopolitan by co-worker Melissa Huffsmith.'
    It is amazing that Diogenes thought of Cosmopolitanism as the ideology that all human beings belong to a single community.
    An ancient Tamil scholar by name Kaniyan Poongunranar also was a great cosmopolitan. He also a great propogator of Cosmopolitanism.
    Poongundranar rejected division of mankind into various categories and emphasised the universality of all humans. The Tamil bards and intellectuals of the time of Poongundranar and those preceding his age considered that all humans, whatever their rank or station in life, were alike. (Wikipedia)
    Sri

Afresh likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

We all know that Indra is the name of the ancient Hindu warrior god of the sky and rain. He is the chief god in the Rigveda. But when I googled for it, I got this- The name Indra is a girl's name of Hindu, Sanskrit origin meaning "possessing drops of rain"
    It was fitting that Nehru named his daughter as Indra. As someone remarked when she was PM that she was the only man in the entire Ministry!

5. Cheeniya

I was looking for lizard names in Sanskrit. I was amazed by the beauty of the names. Musalika and Gruhagodhika! Can you beat it?
    It's a great joy you know. This is what I liked about Jeeves. When he was not solving one of Bertie's problems, he would curl up with Spinoza and Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky! And like him, how many areas we cover!

6. Cheeniya

Your friend stuns me! He knows not what he is missing! When I have Wodehouse one too many, I read Les Misérables to get back to the rollicking world of Wodehouse.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

I can certainly trust you to do the last two perfectly! I was looking at the dictionary to see how good a person has to be in eating to be hailed for gorging. I got this: 'eat a large amount greedily; fill oneself with food'. I tell you nothing can match English in describing certain traits!
    Enjoy your holiday!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya, just an hour ago I laid my hands on Roald Dahl's George's Marvellous Medicine.
    I found ..."Grandmother was always complaining, grousing, grouching, grumbling, griping about something or the other ..."

Why are all the grump-sounding words starting with "g"? What is so special about "g" to lend itself so well to the grumpy credence? (Will catch up with the rest of the posts soon ...)

Afresh likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    A good question. Made me unusually thoughtful. But first about the book. I have not read this and got some info about it from Wikipedia. Sounds very interesting.
    Coming to the words quoted by you, it is elementary my dear Watson. Grump-sounding words have to start with a strong alphabet. And G is one of the most effective letter for the purpose. For example, try crumpy or srumpy, it sounds more like an advertisement for biscuits. In fact, in order to be fair to your question, I tried all alphabets one by one and nothing satisfied me as 'g'. Ask Walter Matthau or Groucho Marx, they will agree wholeheartedly.

Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  10. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:tongueout:.. I think the spellings and pronunciation rather the words in themselves, evolved all using the above logic , trials and errors by the generator of the language!