1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Runa Laila popularized the Kala Sha Kala folk song. My generation grew up on Anamika's cover version of the same song. But Runa initiated the song into a wedding and party cheer that endures till date in mast gatherings.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Indra, with his tendency to arouse the asuras and get into scuffles, forms the backdrop of many origin myths. He promises to reform himself of his hubris but lapses.

I had a friend named "Indu" while growing up. She insisted that she was named after the moon. But "Indu" is derivative of "Indra". Why did she turn her back on this rain god to embrace the moon god "Chandra" as she was not Chandu.

Is it because of Indra's bad rap?

I searched in google just now for the meaning of the Indian feminine name "indu". Returned "bright drop" and "origin: moon" . Is that 'bright drop' a full moon or a rain drop?

This defection is widespread than assumed, are all the indus shifting their allegiance from the miscreant Indra to the mercurial Chandra?

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

A celebrity who could not only sing but also feature in her video albums as she is so pretty and charismatic. Moreso, she could even act in a shampoo advert with those lovely tresses. She had it all in life while it had lasted ..beauty and talent.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Novalis (1271)
    This is essentially the attribute of all nonsense. A friend of mine once asked me that when there were so many classical movies produced in India why I was wasting time on Japanese movies with subtitles I would not be able to follow in any case. I looked squarely at him and replied 'It is like that only'. This is my stock reply for all questions put to me that I would have no time to answer cogently.
    You remind me of our old friend Diogenes who asked Alexander not to block his sun light. People who delight in doing what they want are very fortunate ones. This is the quintessence of personal liberty. This quality is very essential as we all seem to be headed towards 1984!
    Time is the greatest of all options that lie before us. I once wrote in one of my earliest Rambling that people, in their beastly rush in pursuit of nothing, must stop a while and enjoy the scenery. Sufis as you know value nothing more than Time.
    Will tell you more about this as we go on.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Novalis (1280)
    I feel highly elated to know that I have such company. I often feel that having watched lizards for decades, I should have come out with a best-seller. I just ended up with a few blogs here. Nothing makes me sadder than realising how I have wasted my life. In fact there is a lot more life in our Indian lizards than the dull one of John Smith.
    Talking of newts, who can be a greater lover of newts than Gussie (Augustus Fink Nottle), the headshrinker!

6. Cheeniya

@Novalis (1282)
    I have always wanted to ask Nehru why he named his daughter Indra (a male name). When I was doing my post-graduation, we used to have inter-collegiate classes in a leading Women's college and the Principal of the College was Iravathi. She was the one who took our intercollegiate classes. I once asked her why she was named Iravathi. She smiled and told me that I should ask her parents about it.

7. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

We have engaged Diogenes repeatedly in the past in our meandering discussions but only recently I came to know that he not only popularized 'cynic' but also heralded 'cosmopolitan'. When inquired of his nationality, Diogenes proudly claimed himself to be a 'cosmopolitan', coining the word itself. Diogenes as the notorious cynic is widely known but Diogenes as the vagrant cosmopolitan is amusing. Today, the word cosmopolitan is inflected in affluent streak. There goes a cosmopolitan! means ..a man of wealth, comfort and letters. Back then, Diogenes in his barrel and loin clothing would have endured tough credence to sell himself as a 'cosmopolitan' breed.

8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I always wonder ...why we get along so well in our conversations. Every now and then you assert glimpses of that enigma.

You said, you 'wanted to ask' and not 'wanted to know'. Knowing is second-hand and received wisdom but directly inquiring is first-hand and conclusive. I know why we get along so well: we gouge nothing short of the definitive wisdom even if it is as insignificant as someone's naming preference. Yes, we should ask Nehru bluntly and not rely on anyone's account of the historical trivialities.

9. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Indian lizards have the flamboyance of bright colors unlike the obsidian lizards of John Smith. A lizard should flash gypsy colors! I agree ..dull lizards rarely coax out creativity unless you happen to be the pillow-singing John Smith.

I wonder how we both would be nicknamed ages from now by our posterity on stumbling upon our blogs when we both are long gone, say, in year 2167. (That lizard man! That sloth girl!)

What would the advanced posterity make of our blogs? Surely, all known lifeforms but for humans would be extinct by then. Your intricate study of lizards and my admiration for sloths might throw natural light on these lethargic creations who were examined by us in their wild indulgence.

I have a feeling, you and I are preserving much unsupervised knowledge that though is insubstantial today would instigate a scramble in future for our loyalty towards unworthy creatures of the animal kingdom.

10. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

'Friendship badges' were mentioned in Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. On finding a badged friend demonstrating solidarity with our interest, we tend to attach ourselves to them like a marooned limpet. Our badge is PG Wodehouse! We have become too preferential, too fussy...in our wodehousian alliance. Once I even declined a man when he expressly stated that he read no Wodehouse. Blasphemy! Brute! No Wodehouse is undeveloped midget not sharing a badge with ..