1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Unusual Cultures
    While you were looking for unusual cultures, I was looking for unused words. Very interesting I tell you. Go for it! It's the Bible of nonsense

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Button Maths

I am eating button (microwaved) idlis and thinking ...

upload_2018-5-31_20-13-52.png

... thinking about banach-tarski paradox.

Take a ball and break it. Then with some advanced geometry you can create two balls of the same size and volume from that one ball.

upload_2018-5-31_20-14-38.png

There are two types of nimble brains. One brain: who fluently understand the equations and math behind that set geometry. Another brain: who find button idlis more fulfilling than mind-boggling maths. Do I even need to tell you which kind you are talking to?

I wonder, why is maths very evasive for me. Ramanujun casts a mathematical spin even on an unassuming taxi number. Whereas, I can't even grasp the ghoulish maths in turning my button idli into two idlis.

You might console - Ira, stick with stuff your brain can handle and don't swerve too much into forbidden territory.

True that, I should not conjure up deviant maths in my rice flour pie. Banach and Tarski might double objects with the sleight of complex maths but the same can be claimed by tucking into eight button idlis rather than one regular idli.

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Indeed, unusual! But the Romans are fabled for their decadence that during extravagant feasts they would vomit the chewed cud to gobble more from the plate in greed. The 'vomitorium' could have origin from such adaptations.

upload_2018-5-31_20-18-50.png

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Al di la; del bene piu prezioso, ci sei tu.
    Al di la; del sogno piu ambizioso, ci sei tu.
    Al di la; delle cose piu belle.
    Al di la; delle stelle, ci sei tu.

I just looked up that 'al di la' and learnt that the lyrical word means 'beyond'.

Then, I searched for the lyrics translation.

I didn't believe it was possible,
    that you could say say these words:
    Beyond the most valuable thing, there you are.
    Beyond the most ambitious dream, there you are.
    Beyond the most beautiful things.
    Beyond the stars, there you are.
    Beyond, there you are for me, for me, only for me.
    Beyond the deepest sea, there you are.
    Beyond the world's limits, there you are.
    Beyond the infinite sky vault, beyond the life.
    There you are, beyond, there you are for me.

In lover's symbolism, usually one person is behind another person, customarily it is a shrewd woman behind a put-upon man. I wonder, what is 'beyond' in a relationship compared to a 'behind'.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Google-fu

Wherever you venture, I am a step behind you or should I say beyond you.

I rely on Google heavily for all my quotidian needs. I would be crippled without the search engine Google.

Recently, I opened up my eyes to this coinage "Google-fu" which I assumed was a play on foo placeholder or a gibberish construct when used in the context of search skills. But it is a play on kung-fu, that means, when someone remarks to use your "Google-fu", it means exert your diabolic search skills like the martial kung-fu.

Huh! Now we cannot sustain if we don't search, we don't Google, and also learn those Google-fu tricks of kung-fu panda.

upload_2018-5-31_20-39-47.png

6. Cheeniya

Oh,The Banach-Tarski paradox! Why can't they go and buy another ball instead of breaking the one in hand and trying to make two out of them! The guys have not heard the proverb that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush! This is madness of a different kind that will earn it a place in a conclave of nonsense! That idly that you have made. Can I break one and make two of them? Then it will solve the food problem in third world countries!

7. Cheeniya

They would have probably needed Hercules to clean up all the mess! For Hercules, it would be just chicken feed!

8. Cheeniya

Did you notice that this movie has two titles- Roman Adventure or Lovers Must Learn? The Al De La song is part of the learning process possibly. There is more for lovers to learn than a common man. I do not know why lovers are asked to go to Rome to learn their tricks than any other place? why not Istanbul or even Chennai? Roman Holiday shows the city as a perfect escapade for lovers.
    @Iravati

9. Cheeniya

Google-Fu
    I often wonder how I sustained without Google during the seven decades of my life? Nowadays I run to Google even for normal things that my grandma could have answered. I too rush to Google if I need to find a quote to suit my nonsense. I once googled to see if my name figures anywhere as an author of a Quote!

10. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Last night while reading the book 1001 inventions that changed the world, I stumbled on the history of toothbrush and toothpaste. The Egyptians and the Babylonians nurtured the insight that human teeth were supposed to be systematically cleaned but with that? Toothbrush was easier to invent, with a furry animal's tail, but what about the toothpaste? The essential ingredients ranged as wild as ground pumice and eggshells and white chalk. The ancient dentists were aggrieved fixing the chipped teeth from the abrasive toothpastes than from the natural erosion to the teeth. Years later, with much speculation and trial, the toothpaste evolved into today's soft form.

I could not help thinking, Cheeniya will have something to grit this teeth on the agonies incurred from the forlorn and disastrous toothpastes of our ancestors.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.