1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Questions On Parenting ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Feb 20, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

1)At what age do you stop brushing/showering your children?

2)How do you entertain kids every weekend?

3)At what age kids start to read books by themselves?be it story books etc

4) How do you engage kids after school especially pre schoolers?

5)How many years does a child go for swim classes?

6) Does having a sibling help the other kid or easier with one child?

7) Does your kid speak and write your native language?If so how do did you succeed?
    My kid who was speaking in Tamil offlate speaks a lot in English after going to preschool.I keep telling to speak in Tamil at home but it does not work.

8) How much time does your kid speak on tv/iPad and how much is too much?

9)Do your kid watches Indian movies?

10) how do you control your anger wand communicate calmly when your children are very hyper/annoying and absolutely fails to understand

Belovedsister likes this.

2. Mayaa

Mayaa Bronze IL'ite

1. Maybe around 4
    2. Take them to park
    3. Maybe 5 or 7
    4. Nap time TV time outdoor play dinner sleep
    5. Depends - my friends kid is training for olympics
    6. Single child vs siblings could be a separate topic both has its pros and cons
    7. Many kids growing in India is multilingual... sticking to mother tongue helps
    8. Screen time - Anything more than an hour or two is too much
    9. No personal experience
    10. Suggested method is to leave the room calm self and come back.

Questions Could have been topic for multiple threads ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    sumzaya and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Question 7 language development...
    Am in America now so trying to teach kid mother tounge and trying to make kiddo speak at home too

4. deepideepi

deepideepi Silver IL'ite

At 4 kids r able to take shower themself? My gal is going to be five i ihave to feed her, make her bath. She is not proper in cleaning herself after using toilet. So i have to do all her chores. I want to hear more from other mums too.

anika987 likes this.
  5. Mayaa

Mayaa Bronze IL'ite

No meant brushing part only. Showering around 6 or so

anika987 and deepideepi like this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

different kids have different learning curve for different skills. Just a rough gauge from my personal experience, but do take in the hints from the child. No hard and fast rule.
    I started when they were almost 4 but supervised, like with little help, then brushing together at night, and then intermittent checks. Total hands off was probably around 6+
    With showering, started later 5+, supervised till 7 but hair wash was all the way till 8+ yrs

One started at 4 the other at 5, but they both liked to be read to even when they could read.,

At the preschool stage - nap, outdoor play, free play with toys, books , tv time, helping with chores. Son spent more time with toys and free play, while DD on books and tv.
    Weekends would include visit to supermarts, library, temples, occasional guest/visiting.

This one is very very dependent on child and parent

Imo, generally it helps the kids tremendously but is a harder on parents

7) Does your kid speak and write your native language?If so how do did you succeed?
    My kids speak, one writes ( bcos he take it in school , lol) .
    Imo, Keep talking and exposing them to the culture. They back ground effect will be there when they grow up.
    Hope other parents more successful in this area can help

Ideally not more than 1.5 hrs average per week. Personally, i feel Ipad/games has a more detrimental effect on the attention span and focus of kids. So

Yes. mostly on TV. Sometimes in the cinemas 2-3 per year.

10) how do you control your anger wand communicate calmly when your children are very hyper/annoying and absolutely fails to understand
    Sigh, if only I knew this ...

anika987, deepideepi and guesshoo like this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Start slow and start small. Like she does some parts of the activity under your guidance , encourage and praise her efforts and you finish off, helping her do parts she didnt do well but no criticism.

for my kids, in their preschool, they had bday celebrations. Parents show pics of child for each year of their lives and talk a little about their lives at each stage. I included what-I-am-going-to-do-this-year pictures. So they would share some activity they are working on and hope to do by next birthday.Kinda motivated them. Target-setting :tongueout:

anika987 and deepideepi like this.
  8. Akilaadai

Akilaadai New IL'ite

Brushing- Around 4; Shower - around 6

Library/Parks/ Grocery shopping- Believe me it is an easy way to make them choose and eat the vegetables without much fuss.

My younger one is going to be 5 in April. We read the book together. Later she will try to read it alone. It is fun to watch. My elder daughter started to read around 5 as well.

3-4 - tv/laptop time. 4-6 - Nap time; 6-7- Play time followed by homework and dinner time.

My elder dd started swimming at 6.

I have two girls and it is really easier to handle.

My kid who was speaking in Tamil offlate speaks a lot in English after going to preschool.I keep telling to speak in Tamil at home but it does not work.
    Same here. We still remind them to speak in Tamil at home.

On weekdays- 1 hour; On weekends- 11/2 to 2 hours (I still try hard try hard to reduce the screen time)

Sometimes.

I will lose my control and yell/raise hands at them. Later I will make sure that I apologize to them for raising hands and explain my reasons.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

My dd by brushing by 3. And she was into showering herself by 5. Only hair bath with an oil bath and massage was by me on weekends.

With my son he too mimicked my dd by 3 but we did the brushing again together and shower because he would not like to wet his face at all. Sigh time flies. (The young man takes 3 baths a day now)

The brushing routine is fun one, with the song up and down, go to the right go to the left. Ouch don't hurt the gums..kind of funny,to the tune of you love me...

Classes..karate, singing. Son karate and cricket. Apart from this we had these story telling or sentence making about something we see and i choose the topic. If driving it could
    Be clouds. It could be something we discussed. I believe it made us more open to talk about issues as they grew up. No fear that the topic is taboo. You know they are both adults today and they still tell me a lot.

3)At what age kids start to read books by themselves?be it story books etc..
    My dd started reading books by 6 while my son who had issues started by 5.he is a voracious reader.
    I am talking about before ipad and androids era. We were into some edutainement and then drawing anything they want to convey on that day. You learn a lot about a child's mood in the way they draw and color.i would print simple join the dots, find the way through the maze,and fun coloring.

Swimming classes until they learn to swim well and regular swimming as they please and if available.

Not sure if i did justice. My daughter had to adjust on whatever attention i could give because my son needed more of my undivided attention.

But when i see them today, i believe i did something right in my parenting. Having a sibling is moral and emotional support as i believe cousins can only be so much. They are thick as thieves though there are times when they dont't want to be siblings lol.

It depends on a lot of things these days.

My kids speak 4 languages and write only 3 well. Mother tongue my dd has learnt the bAsics while son has not. But i am sure by the time he completes his masters in the uni he would be able to do that.
    Non interfering parent here. I speak 5 and write 4 and i believe they will when they need it.

No ipad as kids. They had an hour of tv time each and my kids thinking they outsmarted me cooked up a scheme to cover up both thier programmes in the two hours they got btwn them.
    I believe more than 20hours of all gadgets put together as long as they are kids is too much. After high school most of their work is on laptop and pcs and no you can't restrict them. You can only tell them, kiddo, i know you are responsible,and will use the opportunities that you get to the best. And freedom to do things comes with a responsibilty and price. Misusing it leads to removal of them.

Even now dd does not like regional movies. She is a english/hindi movie buff. Ds watches documentaries, biographies and likes. As kids it was mostly children movies. And some regional movies all at home only.

I have a extra hyperactive son with adhd and he taught me patience. My dd was mischievous too but silent one. There were times when i have screamed(not proud off) but later explained why i did that to them never wanted them to be confused. There were timeouts all the time. Timeouts to me and to them. We will talk about it wjen we are calm is what we would say when they enteref middle school.

p.s just wanted to say no two kids are same. They have their own speed their own individuality that defines them. The best we can do is help them in the best we know. The rest accept them as they are. Do not worry too much if your kid gets only 80 after giving her 100%. Remember her 80 is the 100. That is the child's capacity. Allow them to enjoy childhood while learning to be independent. Teach them to clean their own room, thier plate after dinner, their toilets when older. Make them confident. Allow them to make choices. Just because we gave birth, it is not our right to mould them into a lion if their basic nature is to be a deer. Teach the deer survival techniques. The world is big canvas and your child will get their chance

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Mayaa, pumpkin01, GoneGirl and 5 others like this.
  10. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

)At what age do you stop brushing/showering your children-Around 4 years

2)How do you entertain kids every weekend- by taking him to the park, solving puzzles with him, doing some math activity(like addition subtraction, bigger smaller number -depends on child's interest, my 4 year old is interested in these things), let him watch little cartoon (giving him some time limit , he switches off TV on his own once the time is up,telling stories, make him do some household work( we ask him to help around) he plays on his own with his toys etc .

3)At what age kids start to read books by themselves?be it story books etc-Again depends on kid's interest

4) How do you engage kids after school especially pre schoolers- Let him play with toys, little nap, taking him to the park n the evening

5)How many years does a child go for swim classes- At any age 2,3,4 but I have seen younger kids get sick more because they tend to gulp the water.

6) Does having a sibling help the other kid or easier with one child
    - I have definitely seen a lot of positive changes in my boy, not only has he become more independent he has also become more sensitive .

7) Does your kid speak and write your native language?If so how do did you succeed?My kid speaks in both english and native language. My husband speaks to him in english while I speak in native language.We have not yet started writing part.

8) How much time does your kid speak on tv/iPad and how much is too much? An hour

No, animated mvies only.
    10) how do you control your anger wand communicate calmly when your children are very hyper/annoying and absolutely fails to understand: I slap him occasionally, but now a days he understands things and does not give me any opportunity to get too angry with him. I just tell him consequenses of his actions and depending on them he makes his choices,.

anika987 likes this.