1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Questions For My Husband That I Cant Really Ask

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

i have so many questions that comes up to my mind all the time...i feel so sad inside most of the time with this inlaws drama. My husband always fight with me for his sister and mother...he has never agreed that they are wrong but have fought with me for them for like days and days spoiling y peace of mind...he is the one who spoils them all the time and add unnecessary expectations...we have been married for 10 years but i still take a backward seat when it comes to his sister and mother....i hate this since bioth my sil and mil conspire against me and make fool of my husband with their nice emotional words..he thinks so higly for both of them as they talk very sweet in front of him as if they care..but behind his back they talk about how we dnt gift sil and mil more money ..recently my husband has started feeling that his parents should move in here with us to US as they are going to get old , so its better t bring them here in their 60's than later....his mom, on the other side if she comes here, will keep asking us to give gifts to sil all the time in form of large amount of cash,jewelley etc....my husband always agrees t what his mom feels and to please her he thinks its ok to give so much to sil and its not going to break his bank...of course its not going to break your bank but i can rather buy that piece of jewelley for myself that giving it to your sister ..why should we be giving her so much all the time??his mom parents are still alive and whenever they give something to my mil, she always says that my brother gave it to me , so that my husband should also feel obliged to give it to his sister...

i feel suffocated with his family because they always talk about giving and taking..my mil always gives very less to people never any cash...she will find gifts on sale and will collect small itsms at home to give when needed to people...but my husband is always made fool of giving large amounts to people and his sister and mil all the time.....

why is he not realizing that his parents are sister make fool of him and try to grab money in some way or other from him all the time..

why dnt he realize that his mom does nothing for me and our kids and him as well...and how can he ignore that treatment for kids..how come he never feels bad that his mom or sister do not do anything for kids but if dnt do one thing , i become a villian in his mind...

why cant he realize that his mother taunts me all the time related to dils and my parents and expects so many gifts from my parents as well even after 10 years of our marriage...?

he just ignore everything.....

most important:

WHY CANT HE FOR ONCE TAKE MY SIDE INFRONT OF HIS SISTER AND MOTHER?????
    i'm the one who have been giving to both of them for years and havent got anything so far, so instead of having a high head in front of my mil and sil, i'm treated lowor non existence...its like whatever is done is by their son and his money...why cant he make them realize that its my money as well ..he can never take my side......i cant take this anymore....

and cant ask him any of this for the peace in my home..he has never taken my side if I complain and always fight with me for days and days spoiling peace at home...

2. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

How old is your kid? Are you emoloyed? Is your sil married? Getting parents to usa on visitor visa is easy, but GC takes time. What stage are you in?
    Your mil is smart in manipulating, its hard for you to do the same without experience. Men have this natural instinct instilled to take care of aging parents. He can move them to usa. But without your help,its tough for him to succeed.

AAPriya and sindmani like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

OP - you are not alone . Many women must be facing the same situation. I very much agree with the comment above. It's natural to feel dismayed and hurt but the more you show your insecurity , the more benefit others will take of you . You should keep your enemies closer and learn their tactics too. Why don't you do the same ? Buy a nice gift for both your MIL and SIL during sale season ( this is the best time for this ) and tell your husband you have got expensive gifts for them .You will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You should take the first action.There is no point in complaining or fighting . You will definitely end up being the villain ( in your words ) if you do so. Men always favor their side of the family. Don't be dejected . Act smart.Once your husband gets convinced that you think like he does ( please fake a little) , you will get what you are seeking. Sadly , Indian society doesn't allow DILs to be honest. One has to be manipulative for our own good .

Benitapaul and yellowmango like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Agree with @Deborah completely .

If you want control over the gifting....take control.

Shop for them over the year. Get to know what they want and like and look for good deals.

This way you are considerate and money wise too.
    Let husband know you are buying things for them.

Concentrate on investing for your family 's future.
    House, insurance,college fund,retirement fund. If possible in joint na!e with you bet at least on his name.

Benitapaul and nandinimithun like this.
  5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hi goahead,

Most of the women face this situation.... Well we have been taught to be submissive and always take care of everyone....

A woman to be carefree and full of life and energy and bubbling with positivity, aww well we all love that in books and movies.... In reality, things are different....

Whatever your husband or anyone makes you feel, dont give in.... dont think a lot about that.... engage yourself in some hobby that you enjoy, never mind whether you succeed or not....

Life isnt about pleasing everyone, even if it means your husband....

6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Since you said giving to them isn't gona break your bank, then demand the same for yourself. Sil gets one jewellery, u get one too. She gets cash, u get too. Her kids get stuff, ur kids does too.

Make him invest in retirement funds, any good investments, properties, insurance policies, education funds, marriage funds n whatever funds u can think of on yours, your hubbies n your children's name.

Make sure you have separate bank accounts for you n children n money gets deposited every month to safe guard all your future n you alone handle the whole banking of this. Let him not have a track of how much is getting saved here, to protect from your mil.

Us saying "no" for anything in regards to his parents n siblings will only come to bite our backs. Rather play it smart, be a strategist rather than a villain. You get done more that way.

Tell him you will stop all your no's, arguments, fights n won't stop him from giving to his parental family if you both can talk n come to an agreement, like he has to either
    - let you take over the whole gifting part n let you control the amount that's going out
    - If you can't stop that, make sure he's spending "equally or more" for his family (spouse n kids) too.

Benitapaul likes this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Goahead your DH is giving gifts to your SIL and her kids. There's no way to stop him. You've tried.

His gifts won't break your bank, but your objections are chipping away at your relationship.

Stop objecting to the gifts. You are giving away marital harmony and domestic peace by fighting over this. Accept that you can't stop him. Let him build and maintain the relationships with his family. You focus on strengthening your marital bond and family ties.

Your MIL is a fool if she thinks she doesn't need to bond with you. There's more to life than money and she'll find that out soon enough. Ignore her.

Why are your parents still giving gifts? Ask them to stop. You're not getting any credit for it anyway.

Focus on your nuclear family. Do the things that make you happy. Ignore the rest.

Good luck, @Goahead! :thumbsup:

Dishaa and MalStrom like this.
  8. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Actually mistake is from ur husband side he should b smart and understand what is happening ...no use of thinking about mil ...if ur husband understands everything will come to conclusion...for this 10 yrs u should make ur husband understand .....just explain ur husband poiletly and make him understand.

If ur in laws come and settle here that’s all finished..before they r coming make ur husband understand.

9. September2015

September2015 Bronze IL'ite

This is sad. This will turn DIL into monsters like their in-laws...

10. September2015

September2015 Bronze IL'ite

Simple 4.5 years of the hell you lived I suffered and I made a change. I removed myself once from contact completely. I saw my husband provided his Credit Card to his leech sister who owes him 26 lakh already and now since 2011 they still have not paid him back! That was the ultimate limit after years of poop from my husband not handling. I left the group on WhatApp when I found out. Then he didn't want to--- and was forced to tell the truth of how miserable our marriage has been when I threatened to speak to them with no sugar on my words. He tells them his version of course NEVER the cruel ways he spoke to me during that time I'm sure. He grew angry since at 4.5 years he told the truth I have been begging for all that time---- he thought I would return to talking to them since they wanted to "resolve". I won't fall for that trap, they didn't change in over 4 years and I was an AMAZING DIL he kept telling me how much they liked me yet they did so much to burden my husband $$$$$$$$ which also burdens me and how he limited me $$$$$$$ but no limits on them. This they don't know, he won't say how horrible he was but how I suffered to a degree because of these things.
    You need to cut them off. Do not try to separate him from his family. But he will notice there will be less fights because you will no longer be involved socially with them anymore. No more micro-managing how I mingle with them, nothing was EVER enough it was bloody stressful, I cried every month of every year for the same poop. No more! Your life is important and I don't remember reading if you have kids, but kids or not I would have done the same thing.