Questions about schools in Singapore

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by svm33m, Jun 19, 2012.

1. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Hi Friends

I have the following questions on schools and kids' activities in Singapore:

my kid is 8 yrs old and currently studying 3rd std in CBSE school in India. We are planning to move to Singapore so gathering some information before that.

1. What school is best in Singapore and which curriculum is the best?
    2. Do the schools accept middle of the year admission?
    3. What is the admission procedure?
    4. How good are the schools academically, esp Maths, Science and English?
    5. My kid goes to Carnatic Music, Bharathnatyam, Badminton classes here. Are there options available in Singapore for these activities and how good are they compared to Chennai?

Kindly let me know your answers, appreciate your timely response.

Best Wishes,
    Rekha.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi svm,

You have two choices when you come to SG education, local schools or Indian International schools. Many indian international schools have CBSE syllabus and the academic year is the same as in india. mid year admissions are also accepted.

For local schools, you will have to approach the local school where you want admission or MOE for find a school nearest to your place. They too accept mid year admission. You can find the syllabus in the MOE website for reference. You will have an option for tamil in most of the schools for mother tongue, and hindi is available is some schools, other mother tongue languages can be opted and classes are arranged separately on weekends.

For carnatic music and barathanatyam classes many are available all over SG, and so are badminton classes. they are available in most community centers and sports council halls.

Hope this helps. All the Best:thumbsup

3. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Akila,

Appreciate your timely response. Do the Indian kids face any discrimination from other ethnic kids or the school authorities? CAn you please let me know?

Thanks
    Rekha.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rekha,

Generally, I would say no, there is not much of it in the schools, but I have heard of isolated incidences. My kids are in local school for the past three years and I have not experienced anything of that sort personally.

There is always a general feel from the locals that foreigners are here to take away their opportunities and jobs, and it comes out in many ways, but at least the school authorities do not show them.

5. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Thanks Akila. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sharvari gore

sharvari gore New IL'ite

Hello,
    Can anyone share feedback on NPS and DPS in Singapore. We are planning to shift to Singapore from Bangalore.
    Interested to get feedback on these schools for my 7 yrs old daughter