1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Questions About 504 Plan

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by madhulika78, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Then get him on the 504 plan. The teachers will not be able to complain then.
    Your son has sensory processing problems too. Find a private OT and do assessment.
    Tell them you need sensory integration.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Keep an eye on it but hopefully as she grows older and more mature, it should fade. Any other issues - extreme activity, inability to sleep, lack of impulse control, lack of social skills, lack of friends because of impulsivity etc? I would look into those aspects before getting too worked up.
    Focus issues alone are easier to work with. Usually teachers will work with you and give you the tips to help her along. In kinder, I’m assuming they will ask you to wait unless it’s actually hindering her ability to perform in a social setting. Third grade is when they insist on it being looked at.

Naari likes this.
  4. Laks09

I think a combination of both. They are different approaches and from what you say it seems like he needs it.

It’s a safety net for him. Even if you do private therapies take what is available in school. They have to stop complaining and start helping him and making accommodations. Take it up with them. Everything has to be in writing. Write an email to the principal with your son’s diagnosis and request the school psychologist eval and ask for accommodations in school to help him. If your write to them they legally have to respond to it in thirty days. One thing I have noticed in most school districts, if you have no issues or slight issues, all is well. If you have more than the slight issues they try to push back. It’s in their best interest to help your child but still they make excuses - time consuming, no staff, he’s fine academically etc etc.
    For any testing issues they have to accommodate if it’s in in 504 or IEP(if issues are more complex he needs an IEP). Which is why getting that 504 is important.
    STAAR btw I thought was for school funding, district placement etc. child has to pass it or forego it. There are parents I know who keep kids home during testing because they don’t agree with STAAR especially for kids with issues. I’m not sure of ramifixations if any. I’ve not done that.

What are they doing on their end to address it? They already know that he has a problem why magnify it. It should be addressed instead of sent home as a complaint. They are probably complaining because general ed teachers don’t know how to deal with some of these things. Maybe if he has a 504 and accommodations they will get some training to help him. They may also get additional help in class to keep him on task and provide reinforces. You can’t deal with what’s happening there by working at home. It has to be dealt with at class and therapy.

OT deals with with spatial awareness, shoe tying(hand eye coordination), needing hugs and pressure(sensory integration) etc.
    The argumentative and frank talk and getting into people’s faces etc - CBT will help.
    You can help him yourself but use available therapies. The therapists are trained to identify and fix issues, train you to help him and make him succeed.

Shanvy and sindmani like this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

No, none of these symptoms. She is good friends with some kids in her class. Couple girls come & hug her every day in the morning as she enters.
    She was with me today & I tested her on lot of concepts & she seems to know all. Is it possible that a kid may not be motivated enough/ maybe laid back in a group setting vs one -on - one? Like needing personal attention / praises?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Madhulika,
    Many have given you valuavle advices. You can think.
    I do not know much but I heard from a friend that joining in Karate class....twice a week is enough. It would be very good for him and would help him a lot. And he would enjoy also. You can try. Atleast no harm.
    Please do not wean him from Mathematics. He is genius in that....I see a future great mathematician in him. He has the rare gift. Please do not do anything which would take away the gift.
    Syamala

sindmani likes this.
  7. Laks09

She seems to be well adjusted and not having trouble building peer relationships.

It’s possible. It’s also possible that she’s able to process it all quickly and move on to other more interesting things. It’s also likely that she is a kid who need constant challenges to keep going and gets easily bored with things that don’t challenge her. My daughter was like that. It was tough because she was never mentally present in the class(always knew everything though).

sindmani and Naari like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09 She’s had me sitting on a judgment/emotional rollercoaster last 2 weeks. There was that time in the class while volunteering, where I reached rock bottom in terms of my feelings & expectations & feeling let down when she wasn’t doing any normal stuff in class , which all others were doing.. and sometimes takes me to the other extreme when she answered questions today like “does star have 1 meaning or 2 ? Can you tell me the meaning/s?” She said “star as in star in the sky & then sometimes people are rock stars -star”!!:eek:
    She also went on to say fly , down and glass has two meanings too.. the fact that it got her thinking & looking for more was imp to me.

After all our discussion, I did resolve to not act too fast & give in to the urge to categorize my kid on the smartness scale. I am going to keep observing her & will keep working with the teacher. @Laks09 thanks for your help , I will keep all those pointers in mind & give it some time.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I was and am like that. I could understand what people are going to say when they complete half of the sentence. This quality of mine does not go well with my husband and he thinks I don't allow him to talk. But we people are made that way. I always felt happy around challenges unthrust on me otherwise I feel low in energy. According to me it has both positive and negative side. It is an extreme situation too . lets learn to balance. Iam trying to balance myself . so kids can be easily trained to see a balance.

Amica and Laks09 like this.
  10. madhulika78

madhulika78 New IL'ite

Thanks @Laks09 for your support...Now i am getting more clear about 504..His teachers are strongly recommending but i was specticle..Now i think i should go for it ..Atleast it gives him some protection from this complaints..I am planing to take appointment from my pediatrician and take suggestions on therepy too...This is high time that i need to take some action..
    Thank you so much for all your support...

Thank you Shyamala: it is nice to hear some good thing about him after used to hearing only complaints about him...You made my day...Thank you..

Laks09 likes this.