1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Question regarding visitor's visa B2 for mother

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by deepanair, Aug 11, 2010.

1. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

My mother's visa application was recently rejected on 214(b). My mother wanted to travel to US to assist me with my pregnancy which is a high risk one. She didn't mention pregnancy as the reason for travel yet the visa was rejected. Now she is reapplying again and is wondering whether or not to be honest and reveal the real reason for the travel. I also have a medical certificate from my doc- confirming my condition and need for care and help. I was wondering if anybody had similar experiences? Are there any positive stories of ppl who did get their visas even after mentioning pregnancy as the reason for travel?

I have heard a lot of pregnancy rejection stories on the internet but personally know no one who had a visa rejection nor anyone who did mention pregnancy as the reason for travel. The issue is my mom wldn't be able to hold on with a fabricated story of wanting to visit US just for travel purposes. SHould she mention my high risk pregnancy or just stick with the cliched story of travel and tourism to US?
    Kindly help.

Deepa

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deepa,

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's rejection. No idea about mentioning pregnancy as a reasonof visit. My inner heart says its better not to mention, but anyway check with others or lets wait for other replies.

Between this i just want to check, did you make the document strong like she is not going to stay here, got lot of good reasons to return back to India?

Like providing property,jewels details letter got attested with attorney, work(if working), unmarried kids, old parents etc.,

Don't worry pray god, if you miss any of this be sure to provide this time, hope this time she willclear and come here to taker care of you.

Take care of your health, be happy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Deepa,

Even I heard stories from friends where the visa was rejectd due to pregnancy reason. If you state this, then the VIsa - officer might say : your daughter / Son-inlaw are earning well and can afford a house-maid , you dont have to go there.
    They will think due to your mom, one american Maid's job is gone. So I vote for Visiting / touristy stuff. Please stick to that. and provide additional FD receipts or bank balance or any property in india.

4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

There is a slight line between TELLING the LIE and NOT TELLING the TRUTH.
    I would say, I will never give any single clue that you are pregnant for your mom's visa.
    Simply ask her to tell that she would visit places.
    Also make sure that she does what she had mentioned in the visa.
    good luck

5. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

thanks a lot for wishes. I hope her visa comes through this time.

@ ranchu and SreeSri- true, I think its best to stick with the tourism reason. Thanks a lot for your responses.

Deepa

6. satiffi

satiffi New IL'ite

Hi Deepa
    Congrats on your pregnancy. I am in the same situation of high risk pregnancy and my parents visa got rejected. Can you please let me know what you finally did? did you give pregnancy as reason or did you take any other approach? did you mom get the visa? please reply so that I can get some ideas. Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi satiffi,

Congrats to you on your pregnancy!

Yes, My mom finally did get her visa on her second attempt. We decided to steer clear of the pregnancy reason and stated tourism as the intent of her visit.
    She cracked the interview on her second attempt. We didn't do anything special but these might help.

- try faxing a letter directly to the consulate prior to her interview, stating the reasons why your parents want to visit USA and also the reasons why they aren't potential immigrants .
    - Also get an affidavit made of your parents' financial standing in India showing to convince your case.
    - Ask them to be confident and if they aren't fluent in English, ask them to take the interview in their native tongue.

hope this helps, All the very best!

Deepa

8. satiffi

satiffi New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the wishes and for the reply Deepa. I also want to know how many months after the first interview you applied for the second one. Did you do any of the suggested things above like faxing a letter to consulate, affidavit etc? Any idea how much property they should have in their name? Also my father had accompanied her last time. Not sure if we have to send my mother alone this time. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. Nanni.

9. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi Deepa.. just saw your post.. I want to know if you were able to bring your mother later. Did she get the VISA at any point.. And hope your kid is 2 years by now like mine. We planned to bring my MIL but her B2 VISA was rejected twice in two weeks.. And its solely for tourism purpose.. Though she told that she will be back in 4-5 months, they said that since she is a widow and my husband is her only son, they cant take chances of granting the visa as they doubted that she wil stay here. And the same 214B rejection. Please tell me if your mom got the visa, and if yes, how???

10. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya,

Guess Deepa's mom got her visa, thats what she mentioned in hersecond post..

In your case yes there is lot of posibilities for rejection like as you alreadymentioned only son and window..

1. But if she is working she can provide NOC and same way try to produce list of property, jewellery estimate on her name...

2.If possible few buy a return ticket and present during visa...give it a try.

3. State a letter saying that if she got any old age staying with her(eg...parents / inlaws), due to her responsibilities they might think she will return back...

All the best.