question on goddess

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by jskls, Jul 14, 2015.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Is there a temple where paal paayasam(kheer/rice pudding) is offered as an alankaram to a goddess? It's like goddess idol is fully covered with paal paayasam. The height of the idol could be around 2 feet or so.

2. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Do they decorate the goddess with rice pudding everyday? Don't know..

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I don't know @Lathasv... Trying to find if there's any. It should be Annapoorani... But I don't have a clue

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@jkls i have heard of laddoo abhisekham long back. my guru used to talk about this abhisekham that was done to maa annapoorani long long ago. i have only heard about laddoo chariot these days.

Annaabhishekham is done to munda kanni amman at mylapore.

But by milk pudding maybe you are actually meaning nurum palum abhisekham done in certain ambal temples on ayilyam day. check that. just trying to see if i can prod a clue somewhere..

P.S. there is a kheer bhawani in kashmir. i was introduced to this temple info by kashmiri friend when we were discussing strange offerings. not sure if they do a kheer abhisek there.

sindmani, dc24 and jskls like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou @Shanvy.

Kheer Bhawani is impressive and makes sense too. Thanks for sharing lot of info. Good to know about the abhishekam done on Aiyilyam day at amman temples. Maybe I can plan to visit mylapore and/or other amman temple when they do the offering of Paal paayasam. It was strange to even come to know about this. Thanks a lot for all the information

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@jskls you are welcome. and yes kheer bhawani is impressive especially the temple spring that turns color..it is something beyond logic, mysteries of divinity. nambinorku kallum deivam, nambikkai illana deivam kan ediril vandhalum nee deivam enru nirubikka ketkum kala kattam.. (to the one who believes even a stone is god, while to the non-believer even if god appears in person, he would be asked to show proof of being god..living in such times..)

did you have a dream or something..just curious..

ayilyam day that falls in the cusp of august-september is more auspiscious. and most sarpa dosham pariharams are done on these days. mostly nagarajas are worshipped. there is one nagalakshmi temple in kerala that has this pooja too.

and annabhishekam is not payasam abhisekham. keep searching you will amazed if you come across such a alankaram one day..

3 people like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy yes I had a dream where the goddess was fully decorated with paal paayasam. It was a small idol... Usually I get strange dreams/visions and I go hunting for information. No elders in the family to guide much and so I try to find through google and other sources including IL... Tamil thaan .. kaalilum theivaththai thedubaval ... Good to know about the speciality of Ayilyam star in Aug-sep time frame. Let me see if I can do anything at the temple nearby where I live.

I read the complete article on Kheer Bhawani on wiki and was amazed at Swami Vivekananda's experience too. Thanks for sharing.

sindmani and dc24 like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

paayasam and paal paayasam, anna abishekam is all very common in kerala, i understand. search for temples in kerala, you might find it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@jskls if it was a dream, there is a chance you would see it happening close to you. not necessary it should be a temple that is already there.

@googleglass is that you. long time.
    the offerings are done gg..aravana payasam, paal payasam. she is asking about alankaram which is not there.

but gg is right most kerala temples do have this payasams..but as offerings..

2 people like this.
  10. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jskl
    The moment I read your post, I thought about kheer bhawani! Saw that shanvy has already told you
    about. Dont know much about temples in south so can't say but yes in kheer bhawani they do offer kheer to the goddess.
    I saw that temple for the first time in 1998. It was in a very dangerous and highly militant infiltrated are called gandherbal. My dad's friend had a unit posted there and he told us about this temple.we are not Hindus and my dad was a kind of atheists but he liked seeing historical religious places.and there was a very famous guy who was on mauntvrat ( had not spoken for years) that guy would see your palm or face and write something on a chit of paper.he did not take any money nor he did this gor everyone. When we went he saw me and wrote something and gave and I still have that crumpled paper.
    the temple its self is very divine and peaceful and for a moment you forget you are in such a disturbed area but I have heard now its much safer to go there.
    There was a Muslim guy who was a kind of caretaker and one priest. They told the spring changes it color and dark color means some bad times, when kashmiri Hindus were massacred it turned the darkest.
    If I remember clearly , there was something like narang temples , don't know will ask mom , she must be remembering it.

dc24, jskls and tsiva like this.