Question For German Shepherd Owners

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Gauri03, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We've been looking into adopting a new member for our family. I would prefer to adopt a retriever, as they are known to be family dogs, but my husband is very keen on German Shepherds. We have been in touch with a German Shepherd rescue, and they've said they will match us with a kid friendly GS. The age could be anywhere from 1 - 5 years. My question is for those of you who have experience with GSs, especially around little kids. Rescue dogs can be temperamental since they come from difficult homes and have often suffered abuse and/or neglect. How patient are these dogs with children? My kids have been around dogs but never at home. We are going to be newbie dog owners, so all insight into living with a GS is welcome.

We will have the chance to foster the dog for a few weeks, before we adopt, to see how well it fits into our family. But I want to do some due diligence before we bring one home. Don't want the kids to get attached and then have to see the dog go back.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03, in my experience, German Shepherds are extremely loyal and fiercely protective. They are also very intelligent and affectionate.

I wouldn't recommend one to a sedentary owner because they need a lot of exercise, but that should be no problem for you. :)

They're very sensitive and do not like chaos. If your home sees a lot of traffic this might be a concern.

Puppies tend to use their mouths and teeth a lot. You'd have to gently teach yours that it's okay to chew on their toys, but not on your kids. :p

Rescue dogs are cool. The shelter can tell you about your dog's history and personality. You'll be fine. Not all rescue dogs have a history of abuse. Many dogs from loving homes are abandoned reluctantly for various reasons — financial, relocation, lifestyle changes to name a few.

I love German Shepherds. If I had to get a dog today, this is the breed I would pick. TBH, I'm getting a little excited at the thought of you adopting one. :D

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Gouri, its really nice you have opted to adopt a dog from a rescue. I am a die hard GSD lover, and the GSD in the title pulled me to this thread.

GSDs are very intelligent and fiercely protective. No wonder they have been used by police and military. They are very active and need a job to do. Even the most lazy GSD would be difficult to tire out. :) But once you have a GSD, you would have a companion for life.

Now coming to your question, for a first time owner I think bringing up a GSD could be overwhelming. What I would suggest is to foster a GSD for a few months. This way even if you decide having a GSD is too much work (and hair lol) its easier to give him up for adoption and get one that would fit your lifestyle. Who knows, it may be a foster failure for you!

And your second question, not all rescue dogs have a bad temperament. Since you have specifically mentioned you have a kid, they rescue people may find the right dog for you and like you said fostering for a few weeks will give you a good idea.

Once you start living with a GSD you cant go back. I cant express enough in words how your world is going to change. I had one a few years back and he was my child. Imagine you are going to get another child, thats how they treat you as, you would be his/her pack member aka family. :)

They also need some training so they listen to you and know you are the pack leader. Since you have a kid its very important to show that the dog comes after you, your DH and the kids in pack order. Research some GSD training website to get a better idea about the breed. If you raise them right, your kids will have best friends for life. :)

I have been longing for a GSD for a very long time, and if I ever have one, it would be a GSD. All the best and whichever dog/breed you choose to adopt, the dog would be very loyal to you. They cant be anything else! :)

Finally, do post a pic in case you adopt a dog. TC!

(I had to force myself to cut short my post as once I start talking about GSDs it gets very difficult to stop myself :) )

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the responses ladies! We are looking at a 2 year old female who was removed from a hoarding situation. She was severely neglected, and is very shy and skittish around strangers. She is beautiful and to be honest we've have fallen for her. : ) She is rated a 2 which our shelter says is a family friendly rating. We have to go through a lengthy screening process before we get to the actual adoption. If all goes as expected, I will post a picture once we bring her home.

@Paulina Could you please fix the typo in the title? Thanks!

5. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri, Thats great news....you are going to open your doors for an adorable German Shepherd doggie!
    Your fondness for Lab Retriever is underastandable....they are the best family dogs ( have you seen the movie Marley & Me?...You will learn more about them there) but GSD's are not far behind.They are a royal breed no doubt.Even if the GSD you are going to foster at first has been a rescue dog or whatever once he comes in and gets to know all of you especially the kids he will be won over by all the love and attention you are all going to smother him with.Ofcourse learn about his habits and routine from his present care givers and avoid any thing that might upset him.And ofcourse all doggies can be won over by treats & pats & hugs .Once he feels he is the VIP in your home all else will fall in place.Please do post as many pictures as you can .If you can post it in the thread "Join the Club....Membership Free"will be wonderful .Hope you have gone through that thread....there are some GSD's there too.Have fun with your new baby!!:smile::beer-toast1: