Query regarding US citizenship by birth

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by ManasaVishal, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ManasaVishal

ManasaVishal New IL'ite

Hi,

My husband and I are Indian citizens by birth and hold an Indian passport. We are here on a work visa.

We are expecting our baby in a few months now and hence request a certain number of our queries to be resolved.

1. Can we get an Indian passport with a US birth certificate? (We are not sure on our duration of stay here)

2. Can our child get a US visa on Indian passport with a US birth certificate, if we decide to travel to US sometime after couple of years? (again for a limited period of time, that is if we, parents get a project here etc.,)

3. I have heard that our child can decide whether to keep the Indian citizenship (passport) or US citizenship, once he/she is 18 years old. Is that correct? So if our child decides on US citizenship, for instance,
    a) Should he/she immediately travel to US?
    b) Can he/she decide even after 18 years? Like 20 years or 22 years etc?

Will look forward to your response.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Baby has to get US passport and US birth certificate if born in US.
    And to visit India, you need to get Indian 'multiple entry' visa on US passport of your child.
    Once you go back to India along with your kid, you need to get your own US visa and kid can come along with you.
    Once your kid becomes 18yrs, he/she can come back to US and then sponser a green card for parents.

3. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Does this applies to all types of Visas like H1B/L1/L2 etc.,
    When PIO comes in picture?