query regarding registering child's birth..

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shrutidunwoody, Aug 2, 2010.

1. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    i needed some help on this one. my surname on the passport has not been changed after my marriage. and i am due sometime end of october. so i wanted to know how the child's surname wud go? does it go as per the mother's name on passport ? will i need to get my surname changed on the passport? i am currently in the US and wanted to know the procedure for this if it is necessary...or do they give a choice for the baby surname? any information provided in this regard will be very helpful. thanks.

2. shrutidunwoody

qq regarding registering baby's birth..

Hello Ladies,
    i needed some help on this one. my surname on the passport has not been changed after my marriage. and i am due sometime end of october. so i wanted to know how the child's surname wud go? does it go as per the mother's name on passport ? will i need to get my surname changed on the passport? i am currently in the US and wanted to know the procedure for this if it is necessary...or do they give a choice for the baby surname? any information provided in this regard will be very helpful. thanks.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Re: qq regarding registering baby's birth..

Me too facing a similar situation..need your suggestions please

I havent added spouse name in my passport after marriage,whereas my husband has my name added in his passport. When i apply a passport for my kid is this evidence alone enough or should i add spouse name in mine too? How long does this procedure of adding spouse name takes?

I am not interested to change the surname or initial instead wanted to ad my husband's name in spouse column alone.Hope this is possible

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I still use my maiden name. My daughter's last name is my DH's first name! So we have three different last names.
    I didn't have any issue with the US birth registration process. They asked me if her last name was going to be mine or DHs and I told them it was going to be his first name. The lady in question was confused for a second and then she wrote down everything and reconfirmed with me. The mother's word is what is taken in the US, no supporting docs needed.

I'm not sure of the process in India though!

^Added - I didn't have to show my passport or GC in the US to register her birth. I didn't have DH's name in the spouse's name column of my passport.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

you can give the baby any surname you want.. it doesnt have to be your or your hubbys..

you can name the baby on the birthcertificate & passport : first name- tomato; surname - soup

& they will let you do it..

you dont have to change your last name to match the baby's last name.. I once a news article that there was this one kid in a school called
    ORANGE JELLO!! Poor kid..

even my last name i didnt get to change on my passport yet. (due in sept) and baby;s last name is going to be same as hubby's..

6. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

yes deivka is right. baby can be given any surname u want. no issues with what is on ur passport.
    Good Luck and Congratulations to both of u. Enjoy and cherish every moment.

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

There is not need to change your last name or add your spouse name on your passport.

I still have my maiden name as last name. DS has DH's last name. On DS's birth certificate both parents name will be present. Birth certificate is the proof required to apply for passport.

Hope this helps!

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sudha,
    Just curious. Is this true in India as well? Or do mother's have to change their last names to match the baby's?

L

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Thanks Mridusudha :hiya..Was wondering if i had to wait in the passport office 'Q' once again :coffee

10. shrutidunwoody

Hello Devika/Anu, i have a quick question.during my last visit to my doc, i did clarify this with the doctor. she mentioned that the baby is named as per the mother's identification in US (not as per the passport name). Now, on my driver's license, i do have my hubby's last name (surname)..but what about the middle name of the baby? does it take the mother's name or the father's maiden name? any inputs into this would be highly appreciated..thanks to you both..