Queries regarding Semen Analysis

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Aana, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

we took our husbands semen analysis and by Gods grace everything came
    back normal.

Our Primary care Physician took a blood work and told my husbands TSH
    level is liitle bit high. even before semen analysis also his TSH level was little bit high.

Here are the results

TSH--->6.25H little bit high than normal[0.40-4.50mIU/L
    T4----->8.7 normal [4.5-12.5 mcg/dL]
    T3----->314 normal [230-420 pg/dL]
    Testosterone level--->251 normal[241-827ng/dL]

and he told that as my husbands TSH level is little bit high thats why I am not getting pregnant and he is having my husbands semen analysis report also.My Husbands semen motility is also good ie 75%.

The Primary care Physician was telling that even though his motility is good in the semen report but sperm will not move inside the vagina because of the little bit high TSH level.

Pls clarify me with this issue:

-Is it true that sperm inside the vagina will be having different haracteristics even though it is shown good in the semen analysis report.

-whether the TSH has that much influence in mens sperm production?

-Will this little elevated TSH level of my husband affect my ttc ?

Pls advice me on this. I'm very confused.

Cheers
    Aana

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010

2. dolly21

dolly21 Senior IL'ite

Suggestions required for this SA report

Hi all,

I need some suggestions regarding my sisters problem.She has been trying to conceive since 3 years.Doctor said that she has Pcod and been using metformin since 9 months.Even there is problem with her husbands SA.the report says
    Morphology-strict criteria, Normal 1L
    Viability 78%
    Sperm concentration 48*10^6/ml
    Head piece defects 62%
    mid piece defects 14%
    tailpiece defects 23H
    NORMAL MOTILE SPERM COUNT 0.106L
    Its diagonised as Astheno tetratozoospermia.

Before 3 months the report was bad.They have been using some homeo medicines to increase the count and quality.But this was the result after using homeo medicines.Now the doctor gave Co Q 10 Dietary supplement for 3 months.Actually I suggested her to give Himalaya's Speman tablets.But I don't know whether they can be taken along with CoQ 10 or not.Does it has any side effects?If its good then what is the dosage to be taken?Also are there any home remedies or diet that can help in ovulation?

Sorry for such a long post.Please any one suggest regarding how to improve the sperm quality.Does vitamin supplements help to solve this problem? please clarify the doubts so that I can give advise to my sister.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

4. kiran1

kiran1 New IL'ite

Re: Suggestions required for this SA report

Here is what I have heard/read/learned. But I don't have first hand experience and can't comment about it, and neither do I have any specific comment about the diagnosis:

1. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs: My acupuncturist is an MD Gynecologist from China, a doctor of Oriental medicine, and an acupuncturist. She is adamant that the male partner many times needs acupuncture and herbs ford low sperm count (or bad morphology). My reproductive endocrinologist said that studies show while there is some benefit to men, it isn't as strong as the benefit to women of using acupuncture and herbs;

2. Diet: Ensure that the diet is the healthiest possible;

3. Exercise: At least 40 minutes of hard cardio work as many days a week as possible;

4. No drugs and alcohol and caffeine. Caffeine and alcohol adversely affect fertility;

5. Loose fitting boxers to ensure proper temperature in the reproductive area. Too much heat is not good;

6. Decrease the stress. Meditate. Take it easy;

7. No laptops or tablet computers on the lap. Again, heat and radiation are not good.

I wish them the best of luck and I hope they are successful and blessed with a child soon!

5. NurseMandyTTC

NurseMandyTTC New IL'ite

Sperm count pre and post wash

I am really confused on my DH sperm count results. We just did our first IUI yesterday and now in the two week wait. His sperm count results increased dramatically. Has this happened to you? I have read most posts where numbers went down.

Pre wash.

Volume: 0.7 ml
    Concentration: 20 million
    Motility: 25%
    Rapid & Linear: 4%
    Total motile sperm: 3.5 million

Post wash

Volume: 4.5 ml
    Concentration: 66 million
    Motility: 35%
    Rapid & Linear: 15%
    Total motile sperm: 104 million

Have any of you seen numbers increase like this. My fertility doctor said they like to see these results but since I have been researching I see most decrease after wash.

TTC 4.5 years
    IUI 1/19/11 with 1-3 mature follicles, using clomid.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. Want2BMom

Want2BMom Senior IL'ite

Re: Sperm count pre and post wash

Count and motility always increases with wash, and u bet the numbers look really good :thumbsup

7. Mrsat

Mrsat New IL'ite

Hello Aana,

We are facing a similar issue. TSH is also bit high than normal. Grateful if you could share your folowups after this. We are also in a confusion and wanted to know whether the TSH has that much influence in mens sperm production? We have just to decided to go for Kids from two months now after a year of saftey period planning.

Regards
    Mrsat.

8. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hey guys...

got my husbands SA done... All normal... bt jst one ssue that the docs told me... the motility in grade iv was 25% and grade iii 30%... doc tols us not a big problem... all gud.. jst keep truying for next 2-3 months. and then she'll do my HSG...

dint understood as wen my husband asked the las assistant from where we got the reports he said.. all gud.. all normal.. no probs at all...

dont know wats going on...

please advice...

Angel

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Angel,
    Motility is not so bad, this can work out! Just try to relax & reduce the stress levels for both of you. With positive frame of mind, try these natural attempts. GOD always waits with surprises until the right time, we shall wait for our best time! Take care of yourself! All the best!

10. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vasu...

Your posts always gives me a ray of hope.... thank you so much.... yest i tod my hubby that i am having PMS .. he got a bit depressed... dint tak much after tat.. even in the night kept his hand on my tummy and slept... i knw both of us jst needs to relax and everything will be all rite... :)

hoping for the best..

Baby dust to all..