1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Queries regarding Power of Attorney

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shams86, Feb 7, 2012.

1. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends, I have query regarding Power of Attorney. We are purchasing a land in India, so we gave power of attorney on our dear one. What are the formalities regarding power of attorney, I mean to ask with whom we should get signed that. The person who is buying the land should sign and who else like any notary, attestation like that formalities should be needed? If YES, please anyone give me the exact full procedure that how to fill the power of attorney form regarding signatures, notaries and from where that all.

Thanks in advance....

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi Shams,

First you prepare the power of attorney on a plain paper (search for samples in web), you sign it and get it notarized. Then send to the nearest consulate for attestation. Then you can send the PoA to India.

For public notary, try with any UPS location or check in yellow pages to find a notary near you. For PoA attestation formalities, check the website of the indian consulate serving your state.

3. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I am not sure I understand your question. If you have already given power of attorney (POA) then you don't need to do anything else. They need to take the POA along with them during registration. You don't need to get it notarised further.

I am also assuming you got the POA attested by the Indian consulate. If not, please do so since new laws in India require this due to lot of fraudulent activities.

4. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot @writeme and @aparnanc..

@writeme : I will make sure of the information you have told to be done.

@aparnanc: Aparna, actually I didn't do any formalities like attestation from Indian consulate and all thats what I am asking here to what to do further. So as You and writeme suggested first I will go with the attestation of POA from Indian consulate.

One more query I have:

DO we need to attach our Photograph in the POA form before sending to Indian consulate. May I know what more documents or anything we have to send along with POA form to Indian consulate. Sorry ladies I am bothering up you here. I will check in Google too but I feel it more good to know through Indusladies because here more tell through their practical experiences. Thats why...Thanks in advance.

5. Sunshinebeauty

Sunshinebeauty Gold IL'ite

Hi
    If you go to the Indian consulate website there will be a miscellaneous form, you need to fill it and paste your photograph in that form.
    You should take the following documents while going to the consulate:
    1. Original format of Power of attorney with photograph (notarised) you can get the documents notarised at a bank also for free of charge (where you have an account). There should be 2 copies of POA one will be kept by them and the other will be given back to you.
    2. Miscellaneous form(from Indian consulate website)
    3. Original Passport
    4. Xerox copy of your passport and visa page.
    5. For one sign they charge $20.
    6. They collect the document between 9-12am and you should go and collect it back between 4-5 pm.

6. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

You can even mail the documents to the consulate. The best is to look at the consulate website for specific details. There might be slight variations in processing and formalities based on the the consulate where you are applying. Make sure you notarize the original PoA before sending to consulate for attestation.

Photo on PoA is optional based on your requirements. Still check with consulate website to see if they have any mandatory requirements regarding photographs.

7. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks alot sunshinebeauty and writeme...Your information is really useful to me.