1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Que Sera Sera

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

I can say with pride that I am a great admirer of music, be it of any genre, from Carnatic to western to Hindustani. I love to listen to Carnatic stalwarts like MS, MLV, Sanjay Subramanian etc, Hindi film artists like Rafi, Talat Mehmood etc, Tamil film musicians like TMS, PBS, P.Susheela etc, music by great classic western composers like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc and Hindustani musical Giants like Ravishankar, Pt.Shiv kumar Sharma etc. I have listened to contrasting genres of music, thanks to my father, who with great creativity could play any Carnatic song on his flute and my brother who was a great fan of western classical music.

At the age of ten, when I hardly knew the alphabets of Carnatic music, it was my over enthusiastic father who wanted me to learn Carnatic music and become established in the world of Carnatic music - a tall order for a young girl.

So one day he took me to a Music and Dance school, a mile away from my home and put me under the care of a music teacher, who set the time of learning to 6am - a time where even roosters refused to wake up. Though the long road I trudged along on an empty stomach snapped away my energy, it was the presence of the dance school, next to the music school which captivated me very much. I was the only student learning music, where the teacher could concentrate on my sole performance, but sadly I couldn’t grasp the basic lessons, even after a month of intense tutoring. My mind was always on the sounds emerging from the dance school next door, the dance master, beating the cymbals in rhythm, with the girls synchronizing their foot work in absolute precision to the beats. After finishing my music class I would run to the dance class and watch the young girls dancing admirably , making graceful movements with their beautiful eyes and performing captivating mudras with their hands. Returning from my school, the first thing I did was to practice all those dance steps precisely.

One day, when my father wanted to check my singing ability, and asked me to sing a geetham, I presented a pathetic picture of singing, with my voice striking out different pitches, going beserk and faltering at every step during the entire course of singing. He never knew the truth that I hardly practiced music at home and the only thing I was earnest about, was to practice those dance steps. Being a purist in music, he couldn’t tolerate my idiotic prattle and gave one tight slap which was just enough to stop my so-called musical journey.

But my passion for dance found an outlet through various school fetes and celebrations. Though my parents resented dancing very much, my teachers, encouraged by my enthusiastic love for dancing, made me an active participant in all the dance events. When it came to costumes, they provided their own material, noticing the absolute lack of response from my parents. The entire crowd watching the dance events gave a thundering ovation, but it was the absence of my parents, which always left me with moist eyes.

When grand parents took charge of me due to the sudden death of my father, life became more strict with lot of restrictions on my activities including singing and dancing. Even bathroom singing was a taboo lest it was heard by bachelors living next door!

Within the confines of a prison like life, I found a outlet for my dancing passion in the humble Murphy radio which took me to a world of music I had not known before. Radio Ceylon was my favorite haunt and right from Purani Sangeet to Binaca Geetmala, I was an passionate fan of these programmes. But even then, there were tight regulations when it came to dancing. So when I enjoyed humming film songs while taking the tedious walks to my school and college, I was looked upon as though I was a lunatic escaped right from the mental asylum by the onlookers!

After marriage there was not much time, except to dance to the tunes of my DH and later my DD. Amid trials and tribulations I ambled along my life, dancing to the tunes of the unknown destiny.

When my mothering responsibilities was over and was left with more time to brood upon the past, it was the divine sounds of Veena emenating from a house during one of my walks, that caught my attention. When I saw a board announcing that Veena was taught there, I immediately enrolled for the class.

At home, I was always in awe whenever I used to pray before the picture of sacrosanct Goddeess Saraswathi, holding the dainty Veena in her hand, with a pristine white Swan accompanying her. But when I held the Veena for the first time on my lap, I realized learning Veena was an issue of weight as well as avoiding cuts, as the thin metal strings of Veena cut hard in to my fingers while playing them.

Before I could learn the basics of Veena, the teacher’s son got transferred to another city and there ended my musical passion!

When I joined another vocal music class, the teacher there was impressed by my bold vocals, which she said was sure enough to reach the person sitting at the far end of an auditorium without a mike. After marriage, I knew how constant screaming at my DH, DD, servant maids, my Mom and her attenders had improved the strength of my vocal chords and, for the first time, I thanked them all. But it was my misfortune that the teacher fell ill and couldn’t continue with her profession.

Now with streaming internet I am able to enjoy non-stop music throughout the day and also enjoy captivating dance performances by talented artists. Talent shows on TV with young children outperforming even the most talented seniors is a delight to watch. But then my mind works backwards, taking me to the the times when people who were close to me refused to acknowledge,recognize or encourage the simmering talent in me. Que sera sera, que sera whatever ail be will be! The future is not ours to see, que sera sera!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Srama, iyerviji, ashima10 and 10 others like this.

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Your enthusiasm is inspiring, but your memories are sad. Let me admit that I have had somewhat similar experiences, though worse in a way.

As some of the I'Lites know, my first cousin Meera-di married S.D. Burman. So, music was present in my life in a big way. Meera-di was much older than me, about my mother's age. Singing attracted me from a very young age. And one day, I sat in front of S.D. Burman as he sang for the family members. He sang some of his best numbers and played the harmonium as he sang. I was particularly attracted by the harmonium, it was so beautiful. Later on, I literally prayed to my parents to send me to a music school. But they refused and life continued through its twists and turns till I retired from service. I never found an opportunity to learn music or buy a harmonium.

And then when I was so old that no teacher could possibly agree to teach me, I found one who began to teach. No one on earth begins learning music at that age. But this lady (my teacher) too expired and then I found yet another one and he is teaching me now. It may sound very funny and absurd. But I am happy, at least as far as this aspect of my life is concerned.

So que sera sera, yes. But let's note that it is never too late. I tried to share my experiences at IL. I even found the link, should you feel interested. <The Harmonium -- A Prelude >.

As the FP winner for June (Vaniquest) has observed, where there is a will, there is a way.

oj

padma0604 and Agatha83 like this.
  3. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hi
    You have openly said about your experience it scrolled in front of me,I too faced similar kind of problem, I was interested to singing god has given me good voice to sing,but my parents were scared for me that I may neglect my studies.With great difficulty I got one teacher but unfortunately she couldn't continue as she got health issues.later for many years I couldn't try for it.once I participated in one of singing program, where I have won consulation prize,with that I got offer to learn music from great musician Balakrishna Prasad garu who sing annamaya keerthanas his wife was judge to that program she suggested me to learn music so that I can tone my voice for classical music,but who knows my unfornute was following me I could not say yes as I was about to reach Xth standard my parents said no to me.But I didn't give up later I joined in Govt music and dance college,their I have pursed carnatic vocal music I did 4years certification course, I passed out in I division but lost distinction in 3marks,I had severe vocal problem at my exam time, profession wise I am lecturer balancing was both was difficult, so I couldn't continue my music for diploma.I will not give up now also.I will catch up sometime in my life time.I believe if we are strong behind something, we achieve it one fine day.Agatha I thing my reply is very much long to your post. I just recollected after reading your post.
    Regards
    Ratna Malliswari.

shyamala1234, Agatha83 and ojaantrik like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one A83.

Most of us do have unfulfilled personal wishes, takes backseat due to family priorities.

What will be, will be if there is the will...

jskls, shyamala1234, Lathasv and 3 others like this.
  5. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Dear OP and other unfulfilled musicians! here is a reverse story! I and my sisters were HOUNDED by our mother to learn music and none of us did. It inspires me to put MY story shortly here!

shyamala1234 and Agatha83 like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I have full sympathy with your not being allowed to sing in the bathroom. Even i am barred from bathroom singing in the barhroom lest neighbours form a lynching mo , break the bathroom door and bash me up.

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

Every being comes with his/her own agenda. When your father had a natural flair for playing a musical instrument, your home environment should have been filled with carnatic music all the time. Despite that your brother developed an aptitude for western classical music. There is no wonder that you had a natural interest to listen to carnatic music. It is the environment that develops personality for all of us.

But listening and developing interest is one and learning and performing is quite another. Some will not possess required vocal strength to render the intricacies of carnatic music while others may not have the inclination. In general, such shortcomings are filled with practice but again practice can add only certain level of value to one's capabilities.

It is interesting to read your mind was focused on the dance classes next door when you were sent for training to learn music. In our generation, I remember dancing is considered as art and appreciated as long as someone else is performing but at the same time, parents were scared to send the girl children to train dance. For some strange reason, dance is associated with cinema. Moreover, the parents of grown up girl children didn't want to attract attention of the viewers of such dance performances to their growing children. Things changed later.

I am glad you are still keeping your interest alive despite all the challenging family environment. Your Que Sera Sera is a lot better than mine. It is such a coincidence I wrote a snippet with the same title a year back.

Viswa

Agatha83 and padma0604 like this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear oja,

Thank you for being the first one to give a wonderful FB. I feel blessed to be associated with people who are closely related to the Burmanda clan, because I am an enthusiastic fan of SDB. There are hardly any MDs of his genre in the present film music scenario.

The latest keyboard has taken away the charm of all the musical instruments, a music world where only the likes of composers like ARR etc, who are capable of using the latest technology, to bring out the sounds provided by any musical instrument at any given time - get international recognition and laurels. But still, nothing can beat the blissfull experience of listening to the wonderful notes played on a piano or a harmonium.
    As you have said rightly, 'if there is a will there is a way.'
    Agatha83

9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rathna,

I am proud to be here among people in IL who are great music enthusiasts as well as erudite scholars of music also. I know how difficult it is to pursue your passion for any hobby, when you cross the 9th std, because of the burden put upon us by our cruel educational system, along with the pressure that comes from the parents to study hard and get good marks. Anyway I wish you whole heartedly that you should achieve your musical ambition. Thank you for your valuable FB.

Agatha83

RatnaMalliswari likes this.
  10. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Wonderful writeup Agatha83. Though you put it in a lighter vein the point behind the writeup resonates with everyone and it is a serious one. Parents out of their concern and love towards children sometimes fail to look at what is inside the child. They don't harbour any other intention than safeguarding us, but somewhere there is a catch.

With me it was slightly different. My voice like yours, is very bold and my mother thought I should learn music. Right from 6 I was sent to learn carnatic music lessons. However I was never told in my class that taalam is a continues process. The result was whenever I needed to take breath I stopped the taalam and started again...when I resumed singing. Even now I have laya problem when I sing...ofcourse I don't sing anymore, because I am against polluting the environment :) Jokes apart I was hooked to the veena claases my teacher used to take. when I was in my tetnth I joined Govt Music College to learn carnatic vocal...and lo I used to stay extra hours and learn Veena and Folk dance!! After two years I joined for Vocal lessons near my house. Luckily the teacher taught Veena and seeing my interest she taught veena free of cost and when i was playing Varnams well she even lent me a Veena to me for practise at home.....but after some days i had to return it to her because she had a number of students. And we could not buy one...It was too costly...and my Veena lessons ended there.

After my marriage I joined Gandharva Maha Vidyalaya to learn Sitar. By then I discovered this instrument and thought I liked it. I finished three years with distinction...and then by virtue of transfers the instrument at home became silent. After holding on to the instrument with a hope that I will resume it one day....one fine day I gave it off to my friend who teaches Sitar.

My tryst with music continues. My daughter is a very passionate singer. She has a lovely melodious voice and sings well. Earlier our home was filled with her singing dawn to dusk. Now that she is in US we get to listen to her singing on Smule- App.

You see everyone is posting such lovely experiences that this post has replies big enough to be posts themselves.

Srama and Agatha83 like this.