Quality Of Transcripts In Instructional Videos

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have enrolled in an online course series that has about 10 hours of video content distributed over two courses. A 30 minute video has only about 5-6 slides with bullet points or a simple image. So, the emphasis is on the audio content. The narrator is only reading text with some extempore content thrown in, not doing anything at the same time like cooking, repairing a car etc.

The course content is of high quality and expensive. But the transcripts of the videos are of poor quality. Obviously, no one proof-read the transcripts. There are run-on sentences and sentence fragments that completely change the meaning. And of course, homophone errors: gorilla/guerrilla, right/write, which can be funny in casual reading but distracting in serious content.

Question:
    Is it too much to expect that someone will spend about an hour reading through 10 hours of transcript and fix errors? I paid $350 and that was with a discount for premium members. Am I being picky? Are transcripts just a courtesy and need not be checked for errors?

I wanted to see what others think of this before writing to the course creator. In fact, I like the course so much, I am tempted to proof-read the transcripts myself and send the revised version to them to use in future sessions of the course.

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

The quality of the whole package depends on the transcript as well, especially someone who is not proficient in the language that the course uses. if you can, you should point it out to the instructor in a separate email. IMO, I would've had the same thoughts as you.

Rihana likes this.