QA testing: Pre requisites doubts

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by newbee123, Nov 2, 2007.

1. devi_kulo

devi_kulo New IL'ite

2. kousai

kousai New IL'ite

Hi
    Can anyone tell me about the opportunities of Software Testing in Singapore Market. Actually i am a MCA Graduate and have a gap of about 5 yrs. Recently when i went to Chennai i did a Software Testing course. I have been searching for Testing jobs for the last 3 months but could not fine one. Does anyone know about the requirements in Singapore market and is it easy to get inside as an entry level tester?

Kousalya

3. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I dont have IT back ground. I hold masters in science and for past 6 yrs after moving to US I am not working. Only recently I recieved EAD. I took 6 weeks testing training near my place in manual, and automatic testing tools such as win Runner, load Runner, TD . But I dont have any credentials for it since the training was given by Indians and they are not giving any certificates. Also I have some knowledge in SQL but I dont have any work experience. I am also starting to apply for job and I have the same confusion as some ladies here as whether testing job needs any programming knowledge. I am willing to take any new shortterm course or work as trainee for sometime before going for testing job. Please those who have knowledge in this area help me. thank you.

4. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

i have also been wanting to start working as my baby is growing older.....i have done textile designing in India&was wondering what kind of job to look for here......so if i take manual testing course in my community college ,will i be able to get an entry level job as a manual tester?

5. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi Ushie,

Sorry i dont have an answer for your question.But as i m also planning to do the same kind of course ,i wanted to know whether the shortterm course did really help u.
    What are the prequisities that u felt would be atleast needed to understand and continue the course.?I would like to get your opinion and experience on it.

Hope u will share with me.Awaiting your reply.:bowdown

6. chirbitti

chirbitti New IL'ite

Hi,

Since u have no IT background....it may be difficult for u to visualise in building up ur career in QA/Testing. But there are many testers in software industry without IT background..basically IT knowledge(Software engineering) helps in testing. Anyway i will tell u the basic skills u need to posses..
    Analytical skills
    Strong attitude in finding bugs/defects
    Technical concepts (OOPS, DB...)
    System knowledge
    Domain.

Hope this helps...let me know if u need any specifc question...
    (Iam a Test architect in IT industry)

7. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi Chirbitti,

Thanks a ton for giving an idea about the prerequisites.BTW,what do you mean by Domain?.Can u shed some light on that area?.

Thanks once again for the great help.

8. sgayathrii

sgayathrii New IL'ite

Dear Selvi,

I am working in a software concern as Tester. Domain here means banking, financial, healthcare, DW, Life science... Projects will be seperated based on the domain.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need more information...

9. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Gayathri,

Tons of thanks for your answer and help. I m planning to take the course soon and when i have a doubt i am very much sure to ask u.

Thanks for making this thread active again.I really appreciate your help.:bowdown