Putting Kolam In Usa Inside The Carpeted Pooja Room

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Trustcarelove, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

Dear All,
    I would like to check what material to use ( board/ plywood/ foam sheet) to put kolam in the pooja room. I have all the dieties in a wooden shelf and this is located in a room with Carpet. Noway in Minnesota, I can put any kolam outside now..I wanted to do it in Pooja room for long time but really didn;t think seriously about it..wanted to do it for pongal this weekend. Appreciate your help. Need to know.

1. What material you use as base board? where can we get it? home depot, walmart....
    2. would regular store bought rice flour works? I use to put lot of kolam back in india but using the coarse kolam powder...or wet rise liquidy paste which we make at home on auspicious days for kolam..

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I usually use a dark colored tile, a decent sized one. I use the regular store bought arisi maavu mixed with kolam podi that I got from India. Or the wet maavu works too!

3. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

Thank you Peartree..

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I have seen something similar to this being used in some of my friends homes where all the rooms are carpeted
    ArtMinds™ Handle Foot Stool
    I use rice rava + rice flour to get the right consistency.

5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Rihana likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

We got wooden board from Homedepot. You can get measured and cut it there itself. painted it with dark cherry paint let it dry and then used it

Simple one try lazy susan or wooden boards from walmart or Christmas tree shops.