1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pushing food inside - infant 6 mnth old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by MeenLoch, Sep 29, 2009.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I have started solids 2 weeks back. I feed 2 tbsp of rice cereal or a tbsp of applesauce.
    I am having to push food into my 6 mnth olds mouth. Is it how this is supposed to be ? Doesnt it develop an aversion in her for food ?
    I got munchkins spoons to do this. I keep little amounts of food in end of her pallette close to her throat. Half way thru she cries and I continue feeding.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Meenloch,

i can't exactly visualise the pushing part;) you can open your mouth and mimic 'aaah' when you take the spoon to feed her. then say 'ammm' to indicate she should now swallow the food. otherwise i suppose babies do kind of know it's food when the spoon is shown so you don't actually need to push the food inside. but ofcourse yes you have to shove in the spoon a little bit more in the mouth than for a toddler.

Latha

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Meenloch,

If you mean your baby is not opening her mouth or refusing to swallow, then maybe you could give it a break. Let the solids be for a week and try again. Or maybe the food is too solid - if it is more like mashed potatoes, then maybe Dhrithi is finding it difficult to swallow. You might want to water it down a bit, more like the consistency of soup, till she gets used to it.

Regards,
    Anitha

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, your instincts are right, if you push food this way your baby will develop unhealthy eating habits. Why do you have to place food that far on her tongue, does she push it out if you were to spoon feed her normally. Then I would think your child has not outgrown the tongue thrust reflex - may I add same as my child. It was 7.5 months before his gag and tongue thrust reflex went away and then he took to solids like a champ.
    Follow your child's lead, if solids is making her uncomfortable, do take a break from it - as Anitha suggested. As far texture aversion and all the old wives tale goes, my son was eating table food by 14 months - the same thing we ate.
    Good luck.

5. drli

drli New IL'ite

Hey meenloch!
    well! I agree with anitha. Maybe take a break for a week or 2 before reintroducing the cereal.
    when u initially give the cereal make it watery..or runny consistency...so its easy for her to swallow....gradually you can make less watery.
    My doc asked to give my Baby rice cereal for abt 2wks...then introduce the first foods like fruits n vegetables.
    good luck!!

6. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Merli, good to see you here! How is your LO? Hope both of you are fine! Take care.

MeenLoch, issue solved?

7. drli

drli New IL'ite

Hey Anitha
    How are you doing?Hows ur lil one?
    Well! I am sorry ...havent logged on for about 5mos
    I had a baby boy via emergency c-section. the recovery was long n painful.
    I am getting better now.
    hope everybody on the april 09 group is doing fine
    TC
    Merli

8. Ishasri

Ishasri New IL'ite

My six month old baby not opening the mouth when i give lactogen or aavin milk.If i compelled her to take immediately she vomits everything.What do i do?

9. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Merli congratulations! We are fine. Hope you are better now. Pity, we can't PM anymore! Results in thread hijacks like this! :hide:

Ishasri, looks like your baby doesn't like the taste. I would suggest you ask your pedi for other foods that you can try. Please do not force feed - it will create an aversion to eating. I guess there is a thread on what to feed a 6 month old, a sticky I guess. That too should give you ideas on the types of food you can feed her.

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Please do not feed aavin milk before a child turns 1 year old. Why are you looking at formula or cow's milk. Do let us know if there is an issue with breastfeeding that we can help you with. Second Anitha on looking up the series on age-appropriate solids.