1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha if your university is ready to issue an transcript then it won't be very tough for them to sign across an envelope. You ask your parents to carry envelop with them and once the transcript is issued, they can simply put them in those envelopes and get it signed/stamped.

The US universities are concerned about the authenticity of your credentials, therefore they insist on transcripts directly sent to them from the university. If you post the same sealed envelop,it means the same, only that you shouldn't send loose transcript (only sealed) in your complete package.

WES evaluation fees for course to course is around $200 and would take maximum 3weeks to complete, provided you don't miss out submitting any required documents. Remember, they also need sealed transcript from the university along with photocopies of mark sheets for all the exams appeared. For more visit: World Education Services - International Education Intelligence

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pankajini.
    This means that I can request my univ to put the transcipts in an envelope and seal it,isn't it? My university website mentioned that they do not post any transcripts. That's why I was wondering what to do.
    Even WES needs sealed transscipts? I thought that was one reason why many institutes ask for evaluation(since sealed transcripts cannot be managed by all).

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even if they don't mail them, can they not stamp their seal on every opening and hand it over to your parents?

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Neha,

Just get it signed. Ask your parents to seal it and once again get it signed & stamped on the top of the cover. Your parents can mail it to the university directly. Universities won't do that for us.

Same applies to the reco letters.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Yes Gauri.I think it can be done. This sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks!!:)

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Mithy...This makes sense...I was thinking that only the univesity has to post it and if they don't agree I was not sure what to do. In my university website it is clearly written that, they don't post any transcripts. But, I guess, now I know what most people do. Once my transcripts are ready, I shall ask my parents to put it in sealed envelopes and again get it stamped.

For reco letters, this is going to be hard I think. Some univ's have an online form accessible for the referees. That makes things so much easier!!! The only problem is for those universities that do not have online forms and want printed copies.

7. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha, USA universities have different pattern of scoring when compared to our universities, therefore they ask for evaluation. Some universities have their own system of evaluation, therefore they don't insist for transcripts evaluated by WES, but most of the universities prefer from such evaluation center which does a canonical review.

Such evaluations comes handy to students who cannot arrange more than one transcript from university. Moreover, WES to evaluate your credentials, would obviously need an authenticated degree and marks, which can only be proved through sealed & stamped transcripts from the university.

As mentioned by Gauri and
    mithy, you or ur parents need to issue loose transcripts and then get it signed across in a sealed envelop from the registrar of that university. Hope this clears your doubts...:)

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pankajini.
    Now I know what to do. I wil lask my parents to take envelopes and get it sealed and stamped in the university itself. Then they can send everything to me , correct? I can forward the sealed envelopes to the college then. I plan to get 4-5 copies of the transcript.

The univ's that I am appying to is not asking for evaluation. They have specifically mentioned that the college will do it themselves. So I think better for me to just get copies of the transcripts. Moreover I don't have so much time to wait for the transcipts and then go for evaluation(takes 3-4 weeks ):hide:. I've started the process pretty late and I want to apply for spring 2011 somehow!!
    Hey,when is your GRE test? I think you had it this month...All the best

9. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pankajini

Thank you for all your suggestions. You have made me think again about why I want a Masters degree or an MS instead of an MBA. I do think that a Masters degree or an MS would suit me better rather than an MBA. I feel that I'm just not cut out for an MBA, and I don't want to begin something that I don't believe in just for the sake of its value in the market. I want to enjoy what I do; there is no meaning to the education otherwise. It's just what I feel...

I will explore Clinical Research Administration and I will learn more about it. I have read the article in the link you provided. I'm also looking for other courses. Somehow Masters programs seem to deal with only IT related courses, or research related courses, or there are programs in healthcare and allied healthcare that require licensing and registration to have a job - which may not work for me if we keep moving from state to state. MHA or MPA or MPH seems to be the best program for me, but I still have an open mind toward other programs, so I'll keep looking until I find one that suits me. Well, if I sound really confused, that's because I am!

Anyway, I've been googling like crazy and I found some discussion forums that I plan to join and ask questions. I also plan to speak to some recruiters and ask them what they look for in an entry-level resume - I first have to find contacts of recruiters. I emailed students at Pfeiffer and Keller and asked them about their experiences. They were both very positive. Well, I guess I'm moving ahead step by step. I planned to apply by Jan 2011 for the Fall 2011 session, but I'm not sure if I can get everything done by Jan.

10. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

My GRE is scheduled for the end of August and I am getting goose bumps from now itself...I have to admit that I am absolutely terrorized...:hide: