1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One way to go about answering these questions is to do some or all of the following -

1. Conduct a Google search for the degree you are seeking. Find out which schools offer this degree. Locate some reputed schools especially Ivy league schools. Visit their websites and read about their programs. They will usually mention what their curriculum covers and what sort of jobs it prepares you for. Look at their alumni information if given. See where they are employed and their profiles. Also look at the faculty. Visit the web pages of the faculty and study their student profiles/research interests etc. This will give an idea of the sort of work you will be doing upon graduation. One school that has a lot of programs in Health Management, Hospital Management, Public Health etc. is the Johns Hopkins University. Visit their website and see what information they offer.

2. Visit some websites and discussion boards meant for people in your prospective field of study. Interact with them and ask your questions. Try About.com or Wikipedia. They might link you to other useful websites.

3. Meet and talk to faculty advisors. Ask all your questions without hesitation. If possible ask them to help you get in touch with their students, both current and past. Email them and ask your questions.

4. Post your queries on Yahoo Answers. Out of the deluge of deviants, sometimes you will receive really helpful answers from people who are working in that domain.

5. Many universities have Indian Students Associations. You can find their email IDs under the departments or campus organization lists on a school's website. Email people and ask for information. Most people will be very helpful. This is what I did when I applied for my MS program.

6. Visit job sites like Monster and Yahoo HotJobs and search for job opportunities in your field. Try various keyword combinations. Read the job profile and see what those companies are looking for. Visit the company website and read about their work and hiring practices.

I know this seems like a lot but most people walk into a school with their eyes closed and then halfway through the program they realize that they didn't want to be doing this after all. Know your options beforehand and finding a job will become that much easier. As they say forewarned is forearmed!

H1B's are sponsored for pretty much any field where the employer can show that sufficient in-country talent is not available. Health services definitely qualify under this criteria and I do know some people who are working in the health domain on H1Bs. In fact some health related jobs qualify as critical to national interest and are exempt from the H1B quota. I cannot tell you offhand which ones but I know that such jobs exist. I will try to get you more information about this. Here too searching for job profiles on job sites can help. All employers clearly state whether they will sponsor a visa for that job. This will help you gauge how many opportunities exist in your field of study.

If you have any more queries, do let me know. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

That was such an informative and detailed post by Gauri:bowdown
    I am sure it is going to be useful to all of us

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I am trying to push my application through for the spring semester and I am stuck with the LORs and transcipts that I need to send to the schools.

My questions are
    1. Many schools have a general format of the Recommendation letter in their application brochure and expect us to print it(only few have the option of online recommendations) and send it to our recommenders and then have it sent back to the school directly in sealed envelopes. Does this mean that I will need to ask my recommenders to write a recommendation for each school that I am applying? I thought I could just get a common format(hand written or printed) from them and then send it separately to each school.

2. The second question that I have is how to manage transcipts in sealed envelopes. Many institutes have a format for requesting transcripts. How do I use this form to get my transcipts from my university? I have actually sent an authority letter to my parents and have asked them to go to my university and apply for the transcipts. Now, I wonder where this transcipt form(given by U.S insitutes) will come into the picture.

Please let me know. I am in confusion for a few days now:bonk

Thanks

4. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Neha,

I am in the very same phase. Though I am applying for Fall 2011 and yet to give my GMAT, I got some advice that I should just keep rest of the application (including transcripts, Lor,Sop etc) ready and just click the "Submit" button as soon as i get the GMAT scores :).

I dont have answers to your questions, but I am trying to find this out myself.

Hope to here from our trusted buddies in IL who have done Masters in US :thumbsup

5. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Wow, Gauri, thanks so much for that informative post! Like Neha said, it will be useful to all of us!

Immediately after I wrote my last post, I googled "Health Administration Jobs" and went through some job opportunities in my area. It gave me an idea of what employers expect. Last evening, my husband also told me to look out for discussion forums related to the field I plan to study and I'm browsing Facebook and Google since then. I'm mainly looking for feedback about the value of MHA/MPA from the three colleges that I mentioned.

Last evening, I attended an information session at Pfeiffer Uni. They have a satellite campus within 5 miles of where I live and that makes me really lean toward this school, but I want to get more feedback before I jump into the application process. So, the advisor at the information session said that he could introduce me to past and present students, and I'm going to ask him to put me in touch with international students specifically - just so that they may be more familiar with visas and the immigration procedures.

I'll also work on the other tips that you gave. Thanks again! You've been very helpful!

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Let's hope we get the answers.
    Yes, its a good idea to keep everything ready and just click on 'submit':). I am also in the process of getting things ready. I am yet to get my transcripts,LOR and GMAT is next month. Long list of tasks for me, but I'm determined to get admit this spring 2011:thumbsup.
    Resh,a question I have for you is:
    I think you are planning a MS in IS course, isn't it? Is this similar to MIS(Management info systems)? Same way, is this similar to Computer informations systems? I just wanted to know from course and job-match point of view. I have a couple of CIS courses in nearby colleges and I'm thinking of applying as the course does not look too techie(I dont want one either:hide:).

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes your recommenders will have to write a letter for each school, seal it and mail it. A good idea is to send them a packet with prestamped envelopes and mailing addresses so that they can just print the letters and send them out. Another option is to get them to print the letters and seal them in blank envelopes. After that you can put them in your application for each university. If you are doing everything online and your school accepts emailed recos then just ask them to email it to the correct address. In my case my references were my old engineering school teachers. So they each wrote one reference letter for me. Printed out as many copies as I needed, added the schools name and their signatures. Then the college registrar sealed them for me and I just added the recos to my mailing packet.

You or your parents will have to take the forms to your engineering college and ask them to fill it out and seal it. I am sure many students from your college must have applied for MS or MBA and your college staff must be familiar with the idea of a transcript. It is a tedious and time consuming job and your poor parents will have to do a lot of back and forth for you, but that is the only way to get it done.

I still remember when I was trying to get my official transcripts from the Pune University the damn registrar used to make me wait all afternoon and then disappear on the pretext of tea and never come back. It took me two weeks of up and down to catch him and get him to sign and seal my transcripts. All this bureaucratic work is very painful in India but there is no simple solution. The only good thing is that if you pester them enough they do get the job done :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Gauri has described an appropriate ways to get your job done:thumbsup

Neha and Reshsabu I understand the problems that's eating your energy as I am also in the same boat :hide:
    Neha some universities are flexible in their requirements and do understand international students dilemma, therefore if possible just try to convey the graduate admissions that your university has a specific format of their own and getting signed any other format would a difficult task.

Getting reco letters is also a big job, as many recommenders wouldn't be willing to take much pain in writing separate letters and filling forms . But if you are applying to one or two places, then your recommender may support you. As Gauri have suggested, send them the printed reco format and ask them to send the reco letter sealed and signed in an envelop to your India home address.

Once all the transcripts and reco letter are arranged, your parents can send them to you at one go...You can make a complete package with all the requirements and send to your desired university.

Neha and Reshsabu, hope this information will clear some of your doubts.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  9. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Dear Jyothisri,
    I think Gauri has provided all of us with lots of crucial points that will help us to choose proper program to pursue. Loads of thanks to Gauri:thankyou2:
    I am also from life science background with experience in pharmaceuticals. Like you, I had also debated with myself, whether to do Phd or MBA as I have inclination for research. So is that you feel MS complements your education, therefore you shouldn't think abt MBA or you are more towards health science than business development?

I would like you to review Clinical Research Administration course that integrates both health sciences and administration. Clinical research is undoubtedly an "most wanted" area, considering it to be the final stage for all kinds of health related products, drugs, devices need to be studied or examined for FDA approval.

Let me know your thoughts after going through an overview about the course: you will find loads of information on google, probably you can start with this link :Master in Health Sciences: Clinical Research Administration Degree Overview

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Gauri,
    Thanks for the reply Gauri.
    I think getting LOR is going to be very hard for me.

Yes, and for transcripts I've downloaded the form from my university website and I've sent it to my parents after filling in the necessary info. I have been told that it will take 1 month. Its definitely a big pain for my parents. But, really I have no other option :(

Pankajini,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am thinking of meeting the admissions team but all the insitutes/univ's that I am applying to are asking for the transcripts and LORs in sealed envelopes with the respective seals. I don't know if my university will give it in sealed envelopes. In this case, I don't know what to do!

I appreciate your thoughts on receiving reco letters. Its a good idea..thanks again. I think I will ask them to mail it to my parents in India and then all can be received in one go.

Another quick question is : Do most univ ask for the reco letters and transcripts to be sent directly to them? If so, then how do I go about this? I actually saw an envelope for the transcript request that said the transcript should be sent back in the same envelope. I don't know how to achieve this.

Pankajini, I think you have done your WES evaluation, isn't it? what is the approx cost and how many days did it take?