1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

I am not very sure about the requirements of in-state tuition myself. Infact recently, I heard that even some F1 students from India got fee waiver by means of giving them instate fee:). I guess the university does it on a case-to-case basis and there are no hard and fast rules. Once you are thru with rest of the admission,it might be worth trying to talk to the registrar or concerned authority about in-state fee.

In my case, the MS-IS program that I am most interested in has a co-op and hence I cannot study on H4 and need to convert it to F1. So, I am not sure if I can claim instate tuition for that program.

2. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

The person who evaluated my profile said that though 2-3 yrs experience is considered good for MSIS, for a person like me who has 7 yrs experience and holding PMP certification, the program may reject me saying that there is no value addition I gain from the course.
    So, I am a little confused. He said an MBA makes more sense for my profile.

Anyway, since I have my GRE & TOEFL scores, I will proceed with my application for MS-IS and will see how it turns out.

Yes, I am thinking of that option too. That is why I am planning to give GMAT as well. The main constraint is the exhorbitant fee of MBA in most universities. :hide:

3. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Yes ,That totally makes sense!!.
    If an "over-experienced" person who clearly understands what the course curriculum offers still wants to pay and apply for the course , why should the university reject him/her??:)

Gauri,

Another question, I wanted to ask - Do I need to mention details of my career break (which was a personal choice) in the SoP?

I was planning to state in my SoP that I chose to take a break from career due to personal priorities and one of the reasons for doing the MS is to get back on track.

The person who evaluated my profile suggested not to mention the career break and instead focus on achievements while I was working.

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Resh,
    In my opinion, you will not be rejected for admission. But, what I feel is the person who evaluated your profile might have just felt you are more suitable for MBA as you can get better jobs post-MBA. I personally don't think your MS might hurt you in any way.
    Also,like you say, MBA is costlier. For example, in my state university MS is 3500$ per semester(full time ,out of state) but MBA is $4300(full time, out of state). Hence, this difference will add up in each semester and the final amount that we pay for MBA will definitely be more than MS. And, MBA needs a tier 1 university with atleast a top 50 ranking. I have never heard of anyone tell me that a MS degree should be from a top university(although it is advisable).

On a separate note,I do not know much value-add will an MBA be, unless we have executive/managerial experience. Please correct me folks,if I am wrong. Unlike India, here most employers value managerial experience for MBA students(once they graduate). Am I correct?This is one major reason, I am not going for MBA. I just have 4 yrs exp, and that too as a coder and tester,forget about manageral experience:rotfl. However, this is something un related to your issue, but I just mentioned it here since the topic was in that direction.

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No you don't need to mention your career break at all. Not that it will hurt you if you do, but because it is totally irrelevant to your decision to go for higher studies. Your SOP needs to show why you want to study what you want to study and why you are a good candidate for that program. So focus on your aspirations and accomplishments.

6. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Neha,

Are you sure about this info??? I heard my friends say MBA has good job prospects even if you do it in a decent university [because you definitely need managerial experience to get admission in the top universities]. For MS, job opportunities are comparatively less. So you have to aim for tier 1 universities. Check it out - am not sure :hide:

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hmm. interesting point!!! i'm not sure....MBA is definitely a very good option....but, has oppurtunities only for those already having managerial experiece or several yrs of work ex....we might not benefit with just a couple of yrs of work ex or no- work ex.....
    well, i shud anyway investigate on this :) thks!!!

8. singaporeindya

singaporeindya New IL'ite

Dear Neha,

I am a one time student/professional who lived and worked in the US. While there is great advice provided re: admission, I have just written a book on what to do, once you get your letter of admission.

Irrespective, if you need any help, please feel free.

Good luck

SK

9. singapalsmile

singapalsmile IL Hall of Fame

MBA is not an education but an experience. If one is enriched with executive/managerial experience in the corporate world and joins MBA, one would only earn an MBA degree and not learn much from the courses offered in MBA. (If you counter me on the purpose of Executive MBA, I would say, EMBAs primarily look out for prospective business partners/business contacts within their EMBA cohort to take their career to the next level.)

MBA is considered to be a magic key to switch career and climb the corporate ladder at a fast pace. Go for an MBA if you are looking for a career change!!

Caution: 60 credits of MBA course work will certainly take a toll on your personal life.

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Veda for your help here. There a lot of us here who are planning higher studies and I am sure all of us will benifit from your posts....

Yes, 60 credits is a lot!! Well, I'm thinking of MS only...but I have an open mind toward MBA too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010