Punjabi dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Sep 18, 2005.

1. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana

I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. Will get the greens and give you a FB. Sounds very tasty.

Thanks

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

how abt a different pickle from north

yam pickle.....
    1/2 kg of yam..cleaned and chopped to cubes
    1tbs of mustard powder...
    8 slit green chillies...
    turmeric 2 tsp..
    salt to taste..
    6 to 7 lime made into juice....
    groundnut oil 1 cup ..
    mix all the ingredients and fill in a glass bottle
    leave it in the sun for a week and
    crunchy pickle is ready...
    helps constipation to a grt level.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

rain is here so we have nice chana......

chole or chana ....my version....
    chana 500gms...
    onions4 medium ones*
    ginger garlic paste..1tbsp*
    red chillies...4 or to taste*
    jeera 1tsp*
    chane ka masala 2tbsp*
    tomato 3 to 4*
    fresh coriander*
    now grind all the * marked ones to a fine paste...
    soak chana in the night with 2tsps of baking powder...
    next day use the same water and add two tea bags along with chana and boil to 3whistles...
    tea gives the colour and the authentic taste...
    now in some oil heated add 1 large elaichi and one inch cinnamon two small elaichi..saute and then add the masala and fry until the side leaves with the gravy sizzling giving u the aroma well cooked...now take half the chana and mash a little with some ladle or whatever u have to bring around a crushed look ...add all the chana together and sprinkle the salt and cook for sometime untill all get mixed well and when u put the ladle and push over a good gravy and chana finish...garnish with some nice freshly chopped coriander....goes well with all the parathas given in the same section.....

4. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Mashed Turnip(turnip Bhartha)

hi all,
    this is my recipe , give it a try .....................

MASHED TURNIP(TURNIP BHARTHA)

1)Turnips - 2 lb
    2) Onions - 2(big one) - peeled and chopped
    3)One small bowl - tomato puree(or u can use 2 big ripe red tomatoes)
    4)Cumin seeds - one spoon
    5) 5-6 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
    6)1 piece ginger(ur finger size) - peeled and chopped
    7)Fresh coriander leaves
    8)Cooking oil - one laddle
    9)Turmeric powder - 1/4th spoon
    10)Red mirch powder - 1/2 spoon(or to taste)
    11)Salt - to taste
    12)Garam masala - one spoon
    13)Amchoor(dry mango powder) - half spoon

METHOD :

1)Peel and cut tunips(big pieces).Wash and put the turnips and one glass water in preesure cooker and pressure cook for 20-25 minutes(3-4 whistle)keep aside and let them cool.

2)Drain water from the turnips and mash the turnips by using big spoon(u can even use ur hand) .make sure there shd b no water remainning in the turnips.
    (u can use this water for sieving flour for chapatis or for rice pulao)

3) put cooking oil in d pan and add cumin seeds.when it splutter put garlic n ginger.when it fried put onion ,when onion turned to brown, put tomato puree and turmeric powder.Fry all these for 5 minutes(when u can see oil in d bottom of d pan) put ingredients no.-10,11,12,13 and mashed turnips n cook for 5 minutes(make sure water shd not b there).Add fresh coriander leaves and switched off the gas.

mashed turnips r ready to eat.
    this dish goes very well wd chapatis and parathas.

if any doubts, u can ask me any time.

NOTE : ONE CAN PUT OTHER MASALAS LIKE MUSTARD SEEDS,DRIED CORIANDER SEEDS ETC. TO MAKE IT MORE SPICY.
    AND U CAN VARY D QUANTITY OF ONION AND TOMATO AS PER UR TASTE.

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i am trying this today...will tell u abt this...

dear sonia,
    i am going to give this a try...never done this....will tell u how it comes out..regards sunkan

6. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Re: panneer,cheese, aloo, gobi parathas and mooli parathas

Hello Sundari,
    Am planning to try this paneer paratha today.Can u tell me what sidedish will suit this paratha.One more doubt whether wheat flour or maida is used for this dough.

reg,
    Shantha

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear shantha never got to see this post till date,
    hope u have made the side dish, if u like veg then capsi and aloo subji is grt with any stuffed paratha, or if u can make thadka of green gram that is also nice, it should be thick, so be careful with water...hope been of help sundari.

8. nikhath

nikhath Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunkan, tx 4 postin gr8 recipies. I love punjabi dishes especially chole n rajma. Can u plz share the recipe of rajma also? I have tried some of the rajma recipes 4m the net but they dint taste the same as the way punjabi's make it. Can u plz help?

Tx
    Nik

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 237.75pt; HEIGHT: 208.5pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.gujarat-samachar.com/recepi/images/rajma2.jpg" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 237.75pt; HEIGHT: 208.5pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.gujarat-samachar.com/recepi/images/rajma2.jpg" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg">[​IMG]</v:imagedata></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>
    RAJMA:
    RAJMA 1 CUP
    ONION 1
    TOMATO 1
    GREEN CHILLIE 1
    GARLIC 4-5
    GINGER 1 INCH
    RED CHILLIE POWDER 1TSP
    TURMERIC POWDER ½ TSP
    CORIANDER POWDER 1TSP
    GARAM MASALA POWDER 1TSP
    VEGETABLE OIL 3TBS
    SALT TO TASTE
    CORIANDER LEAVES FOR GARNISHING.

SOAK RAJMA OVER NIGHT IN SOME TATA BAKING POWDER, AS SOME RAJMA NEVER BECOME SOFT,
    NEXT DAY PRESSURE COOK RAJMA IN SIM FOR MORE TIME RATHER THAN HURRY BURRY FOR 3 WHISTLES..IF U CAN LEAVE IS OPEN AND BOIL FOR HALF A DAY IT IS GRT.
    [GRIND TOGETHER TOMATO,ONION, GREEN CHILLIE AND GINGER AND GARLIC MAKE INTO A PASTE.
    ADD REDCHILLIE POWDER ,TURMERIC POWDER,CORIANDER POWDER GARAM MASALA AND SALT
    NOW HEAT A KADAI WITH THE OIL, AND ONCE HEATED ADD THE GROUND MASALA MIXED WITH THE POWDERS AND SALT AND FRY UNTILL THE OIL LEAVES THE SIDES AND A GOOD AROMA ERRUPTS.
    ADD ENOUGH WATER TO MAKE THICK GRAVY, NOW BRING THE GRAVY TO A BOIL. NOW ADD RAJMA ALONG WITH THE WATER IN WHICH IT HAD BEEN COOKED, SEE TO IT THAT IT IS LIMITED AND NOT TOO MUCH OTHER WISE BRINGING DOWN THE SIZE OF WATER OVER FIRE WOULD TAKE TOO LONG, NOW NICELY MIX AND LET IT BOIL UNTILL ALL HAVE MIXED TOGETHER AND U FEEL THE SOFTNESS OF RAJMA WITH THE GRAVY..
    GARNISH WITH CORIANDER LEAVES FRESH ONES CHOPPED…
    SERVE HOT WITH CHAPATHIS..
    REGARDS SUNKAN

10. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

hey sunkan

i read ur alu mutter recipe and its very interesting...i always prepare it the same way except the caramelising part...thts interesting .....so next time i make aloo mutter let me try to do it in ur style !!

lov
    Sowmi