Punjabi dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Sep 18, 2005.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku to note ur child likes it...my second daughter chitra used to do her homework only on condition alooomutter done with khoob sarey mutter she used to say..with poori...now she is of marriageable age....regards sundari kannan

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai manjula i agree with u

hai manjula,
    i do agree with u that sugar may not be used..i got it from a friend from kolkata and aloo mutter visiting kolkata has to take its style also...but here sugar was not used to flavour alone...when u caramalise it bring out the colour of the gravy with out adding colour agents..and the children love the combi..so here i had enjoyed my little ones enjoying this so much rather than the original with a lot of cream and kaju paste and so on in the star hotels this i found in my friends place and very homely...been popular with me for so many years say from 1973 so thought may be i should share here..if aloo mutter goes to kerala it will have coconut base and kadi patha..hope i am getting thru to u...regards..sunkan

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

palak paratha...of india

hai folks,
    i know a lot of people r exposed to various rotis and parathas...this also could be used by all and known by all still just adding in case someone has missed out..
    for palak is very abundant in india so first is palak paratha then many follow..
    palak one bundle [keerai]
    jeera powder
    salt as per requirement
    4 cups of atta...
    now finely chop the palak and boil it until done...use the palak and the water along into the atta & knead like how u would for the parathas with all the ingredients...
    children who hate keerai will love this for its green colour...and some nice panneer sabji will go with this or dhall ...for the panneer sabji u can cut the panneer and mix it with a little oil mustard sauce and some green chillie paste and salt marinate for sometime and steam the lot....for people who love the mustard taste of bengal this is a nice veg dish....something like their shorsho bata[mustard paste base] let me know ur views...regards..sunkan

aahuti likes this.
  4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku shivani hope ur child loves this palak paratha too..let me know..regards..sunkan

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku kushi these encouragement from u all keep us going....what would u like to know more...channa will follow..in the meantime u can ask anything and i will try to give u.....just waiting for the rain...so that i can add more..regards sunkan..

6. Leo

Leo New IL'ite

Great Aloomutter

Dear Sunkan,

Tried ur Aloomutter and it was very tasty. Just a small doubt - for the masala I fried the onions, chillies, jeera, ginger, garlic, tomato and then made a paste. Also in the oil kadai after adding a tsp of sugar I put the masala and fried well again till aroma came. Please tell me is it necessary to fry twice or is it ok to make the masala with raw onion, chillies, jeera, ginger, garlic, tomato and fry only once in the kadai.

Anyway loved ur dish. My husband told me that once a week i should make this dish. Please post some more recipes.

Regards & Thanks,
    Leo

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear leo,
    nice to know u like this so much...u need to fry only once..use raw onion and everything raw that way it just gets fried once and tastes good....
    specify what u want i will post here....as there r many no use repeating...regards..sunkan

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

panneer,cheese, aloo, gobi parathas and mooli parathas

panneer paratha:

serves - 4

panneer - 200 gms ( grated)
    medium sized onion - 1( very finely chopped)
    red chilli powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
    salt to taste
    coriander - finely chopped

In a dry bowl mix the grated panneer, chopped onions, red chilli powder, salt and coriander gently.

now roll out the dough into a small round and spoon in the filling in the centre. Gather the edges and form a ball, roll out into thin parathas.
    Heat tawa and make the parathas as usual adding a bit of oil

Note: People who do not like to include raw onions can saute the onions in a little oil and add to the mixture. Onion can also be omitted for those people who do not like it.

Cheese Paratha.

1 cube of cheese will give rise to 2 parathas.

Here any cheese can be used if it is flavoured it is even more better. I usually use Amul's cheese - plain or pepper flavoured or garlic flavoured. The market also has herb flavoured cheese. Give reign to your imagination. You can use any cheese that you desire.

Roll out the dough into a small round. Grate the cheese over it. You can sprinkle a little pepper if using plain cheese. Garam masala or pav baaji masala can also be used to give a different flavour. gather the edges to form a roll and again roll out into a thin chapathi.
    Heat tawa and make the parathas as usual adding a bit of oil.

Aloo Parathas

Aloo - 3 to 4 ( steam cooked placed on a colander without any water for 3 whistles in a pressure cooker)
    onion - 2 finely chopped
    green chillies - 3 finely chopped
    lemon - half - optional
    salt to taste

crumble the aloos in a bowl add onions, coriander, green chillies and salt and mix gently. The mixture should not contain any lumps.

now roll out the dough into a small round and spoon in the filling in the centre. Gather the edges and form a ball, roll out into thin parathas.

Gobi parathas.

Gobi - 1 medium sized - grated
    onion - 2 finely chopped
    salt
    garam masala - 1 tsp
    pav baaji masala - 1 tsp
    red chilli powder - 1 tsp
    hing - 1/2 tsp
    oil - 2 tbsp
    jeera - 1/2 tsp
    turmeric - 1/2 tsp

Heat a pan add jeera let it splutter add hing, turmeric and onion saute till onions become tender now add the grated gobi. cover and cook till gobi is tender not fully cooked. add the garam masala, pav baaji masala, red chilli powder and salt and mix well. the entire mixture should be dry and will turn a nice golden colour. When done. Finely add the coriander and mix well. Remove from heat and cool

Note: none of the filling should be wet. The drier the better

Mooli parathas

White radish is to be used for this.

Tender White radish - medium sized 2 grated.
    salt to taste
    turmeric - 1/2 tsp
    hing - 1/2 tsp
    garam masala powder - 1 tsp

In a bowl add 2 cups of atta now add the grated radish and all the other ingredients. Using a little water make into a dough which is not sticky. Cover and set aside for 10 mnts. Again knead the dough well. If the dough is sticky you can use some more atta to make it consistent. Roll out into chapathis and cook them as you would a normal chapathi using oil.
    hope u will all try out and let me know how it tastes.....

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Request for Sarson ka saag from Vandhana

Dear Vandhana,

Thank you for the sarson ka saag recipe sent thru private mail. I tried it and it was super. The taste was mild and not compromised by masala. The greens came thru fabulously. Can you post the recipe here for the benefit of all ?

Thanks in advance.
    warm regards
    Vidya

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Sarson Da Sag

Here is a simple recipe for this famous dish:

Ingredients
    Mustard Greens : 1/2 kg( clean, wash and chop)
    Spinach: 125gms( clean wash and chop)
    1 medium onion finely sliced
    3 green chilles
    1 inch piece ginger
    1tsp salt
    1 level tbsp maize /corn flour
    3tbsp ghee
    1/2 inch piece ginger
    3 pods garlic ground

Place the mustard greens, spinach, onion, garlic, and ginger chillies and salt in a heavy bottom suace pan. Add enough water to cover the greens and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hour.
    Remove from fire add the maize flour and grind to the smooth paste. Heat ghee and fry garlic and ginger till light brown. Add ground paste and stir for about 10 minutes on low fire.
    Garnish with 2 tbs white butter before serving.