1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Punishments in childhood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by nityakapoor1, May 12, 2014.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

No punishments in school or other classes. None by grandparents or parents. Mum would get mad at me if I didn't focus while studying - which meant her eyes would be open wide and her voice would be a scary whisper!

Couple of surreptitious pinches here and there by mum and dad while very little if we didn't behave. They won't hurt at all - just grabbing a bit of flesh between thumb and fire finger stopping just before the hurt would set in - but the shame of it was enough to make us behave.

Punishment for saying bad words was to go in front of our shrine at home, apologise to god for being "bad", grabbing opposite ears with hands and doing n-number of sit-ups (what they call brain power yoga these days), ending with a prostration and the adult who caught us will smear holy ash on our forehead praying for god to give us only good thoughts and words

When I enrolled in a college temporarily before joining my professional course, I was sent out of the class for being boisterous. And I deserved it, I guess!!

2. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Mom: Smacked me once
    Dad : Ditto
    Neither had any effect so they decided to follow Gandhiji

Maternal grandma: never
    Paternal grandma: scolded me once when I was 4 yrs old. She got locked out of the house by me for that. Never repeated her mistake since.

Innumerable fights with brother. He was a scratch card and me a punching bag.

School: They didn't practise corporal punishment. At the most stand with finger on the lips.

But beating with belts, sticks, brooms sounds like some of your elders had a lot of pent up rage inside.:hide:

3. Neena68

Neena68 New IL'ite

I received following punishment in childhood...
    Father...Nothing just scolding..
    Tution Teacher...pinching, face slapping, beating with scale, switch, cane (bamboo, ratan) on arm, knuckle, palm.
    School Teacher...pinching, sit ups, handwriting, face slapping, beating with scale, cane (ratan) on leg, thigh, palm, knuckle
    Mother....face slaping, knee down, beating with switch, cane (rattan) on arm, leg, knucle, palm, thigh, buttock...

4. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

Too much violence in our country..notdonesmiley

But true...we all had got punishments..

In school...only one time i was punished...i was asked to stand outside the class

Father..i dont remember my father punishing me....But i guess we never gave any chance to him :p
    Mother.....n number of times...scolding..hand beating...no talk...

5. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Oh! I won't forget any of the punishments. I remember in school days, our Marathi sir would tell the monitor to mind the class before he entered. And I never use to let go any opportunity to talk. At that time, monitors used to write Names on the black board of the students who were talking. And invariably my name use to be there. I use to ask the monitor, "when was I talking? I didn't talk? Ask him? Please!, Please!! Wipe my name out of your list, I'll not talk now". And monitor use to go and make a plus sign in front of my name, which meant that I still had the audacity to talk even after my name came into the list. After that Marathi sir use to come into the classroom. He use to ask students who had made it to the merit list. After that, it was hell. What he used to do is, he would hold my hand, bend it so that my elbow would protrude out and start hitting over my elbow with a wooden duster. I tell you, it was really painful.