Pumping from flat nipple

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shruthipraveen, Jan 1, 2012.

1. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Inititally I was feeding from both sides even though one nipple is flat(but that breast has more milk)- but constant sucking caused it to be too sore that the skin started peeling off- now I pump from the flat one and feed directly from the other- I'm taking a Ayurvedic capsule called Lactare thrice a day( 2 each-totally 6) yet I feel milk is not enough for my baby and I have to give him formula at night.

Even the breast with normal nipple is not producing enough milk- He used to wake up every hr when I was directly feeding- it was the doc (paediatrician) who asked me to express and give from the flat one. How to increase milk supply? Thanku in advance!
    Regards,
    Shruthi

2. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

hi shruti..
    You can try consuming cumin seeds (jeera). It worked great for me.
    Btw, how old is your lil one?

3. shruthipraveen

jeera? how to eat them ?raw or fried or powder? And what qty?
    My baby boy is 20 days old.

4. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

yup, cumin seeds is good to increase milk supply. If you like you can eat raw around 1 tsp once or twice a day. Other option mix it with your food. My MIL used to put extra jeera in preparing any food for me (chappati, koki, sabzi etc) till 40days after delivery.
    I dont know how is jeera powder, i consumed whole jeera.
    Btw, congratz on your lil one.. Be happy..

5. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

green leafy veggies, methi n loads n loads of water will surely help.... my gondu is 1.5 months now... at the hospital as milk wasnt produced n i had swelling of my hand gondu was mostly on farex rarely breast fed... (ie only 6 days from his birth) then he is on bf only... n he has enuf... :)

i have green leafy veggies, methi leaves curry or sometimes jaggery-methi ladoo n minimum 3 litre of water...

Keep smiling...
    ammani

6. Hemasanda

Hemasanda Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    congrats on your new arrival. Be cool. Sore nipples is a common issue in the beginning. It will be ok within few days. But make sure that your baby not suck the tip of the nipple which results in pain. As the baby sucks on milk will be producing. Don't worry. As told by riefa and ammani take lot of greens, include garlic, almonds, rotis and consume milk in large quantities. Also may be this is my own feeling and experience, eating idlis for breakfast will increase milk supply. All the best.

7. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

my family doc (not my gyn) told not to have more milk.... normally what u had (before pregnancy how much ever u had) continue the same... too much of milk consumed will create gas... which will trouble ur LO... he will cry in pain...

for 2 nite, my gondu was crying from 3-4 o'clock till his bath... ie at 9.... though he was quiet when i was feeding him.. then he continued crying... later i came to know he had gas.... from that time i avoid food items that produce gas... n now he is fine...

another point... i learnt from my expr.... is that not to allow gondu to cry with his mouth wide open... he will intake air and will result in gas... n he will cry in pain...

8. shruthipraveen

Thanku all for the replies- my baby is on 80% breastmilk and 20% formula- I desperately hope it will be 100% breastmilk soon. :-D

9. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Shruthi,Let me tell you the right method of BF.

First give milk from one side for 15 minutes.Change the side and give for 15 more minutes.This is enough.Leave the baby to play or sleep for 2 hours or at least one and half hours.Only then he will be able to digest.This prevents gas too.This was suggested by my doctor.

And for sore nipples ,this is what I did and had instant relief.

Take three teaspoons of coconut oil and heat in a low flame.With the fire on,add a spoon of freshly grated coconut .Wait till it turns golden brown and remove from fire.Filter the oil.When you finish feeding ,apply this cooled oil on and around your nipples.Do,it as many times as possible.Don't forget to wipe it before feeding your baby.It really works.

You can apply this oil even for burns and wounds.Once you make this ,use it within 24 hours.

For increase in breast milk,have sathu maavu kanji,moong dal,ridge gourd,fish and all protein rich food.

My love to new born baby.

10. shruthipraveen

thanku for the suggestion- now i'm exclusively bottle feeding him thru expressed milk- i get him to suck the nipple once or twice daily but he doesn't get much milk thru direct feeding. he keeps crying. :-(