Puja Format - Feedbacks here

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by AGR, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vidhya and Prathi for the advises on the lighting of lamp. I will get hold of this glass covering or try the ne with water, that seems like a good option.

Can anyone highlight n this....can we use small cup like candles, or is it a must to have a wick and oil/ ghee vilakku only. I know that will be more satisfying when we can perform everything properly as per the rules....i try to do that always, but hubby is always saying that" God is not asking for all this "....like Chitra has said, manasikama , he also says"just make it simple2. But now that i have the time i try to follow diligently...now thanks to Chitra i intend to print out the slokams and keep them handy also....
    by the way, thanks Chitra....now i am sure my m-i-l and mother and hubby will be happy that at last i am a true housewife....what with your recipes, and pooja techniques and not to miss out on our book "reviewing."...i will turn out finally to be perfect "mattuponnu":tongue .

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sudha,

Sorry for butting in again, but I saw yr question to Mrs Chithra on the small candles substituting for vilakku and thought wld add my twenty bits ( I always talk a lot, so cannot say two bits).

In Bombay, our neighbours are Gujarathi Sohnis. Being goldsmiths, they do elaborate Swarnalakshmi Poojas daily. They buy in bulk small diyas with some oily fat (not runny but thick) and the wick inserted inside that- all ready made. They light those for pooja. My paati used to wonder what that oil/fat is. They used to say ghee, but it was some other vegetable fat- is my guess

What I am trying to say is as long as the intent to light the lamp is there, I am sure God accepts anything lit.

I use pure ghee for my vilakku since it is easier to obtain (just melt butter), cheaper than imported gingelly oil and more punyam consolidating. i do not use ready made ghees like Khanum, which I fear might be artificial. Last year, I went for a Kumbhabhishekam in Bergen (Norway) and the priests were using Khanum ghee. They were using tinned cocnut water for elaneer abhisehkam.

I strongly feel that anything and everything is correct in poojai if the intent is right. I also light the small round candles instead of vilakku sometimes when we cannot maintain much purity. Also in winter, ghee will solidify in the vilakku and the wick burns out. So I use a small candle (we call it telys- tealight). I am quite happy with that.

So do anything that helps you accomplish your intent- God will go happily with it. Above all, Gods are created in our own moulds, so They accept everything.

cheers
    Vidya

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

It's love that counts!

Vidya,

You are right about the intent that is important. God himself does not expect any upachaara. If our hearts are filled with love for him that is more than ample for him to love us the double. These upacharas and shasthras are man made which does make our determintation better and approach to Him easier. But when it is not feasible then i think it's okay with Him!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the assurances Vidya and Prathi,

I would like to sincerely follow the puja rituals, the slokam saying part is okay, only this vilaku part was a problem....but since u have all responded positively, i will use what we call here teelicht, inside my siver vilaku and of course more important is going to be the feeling of peace and beingone with god and praying and worrying about doing things perfectly and worrying more about that doing the prayaer also.
    So thanks for all the inputs, i think God will forgive all of those who are outside the reach of the authentic pooja materials and understand when we offer with what we can here...after all he is the knower, he knows where we live!Right!:p

and Vidhya its okay to butt in , i too seem to be doing that always, and i guess that is allowed in this forum as long as we are of help to each other!

but i sincerely want to get the routine started now that Chitra has given a proper way to follow, and she is there to answer our doubts , not say all of you lovely ILites also.
    Thanks once again,

5. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Nostalgia

Dear Mrs.Chithra,

I felt nostalgic as i read the 16 step pooja format. I remembered my father chanting all this aloud while doing pooja. Its time we get started too!!

Thanks for all the guidance!

1 person likes this.
  6. Seetha3

Seetha3 Senior IL'ite

Soothing!!

Dear Chithraji:

I have no words to describe my joy!! It feels great to know that everyone can perform pooja and you have explained it so beautifully.

thanks for everything!!

Regards

Seetha

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

easy to understand now...........

Dear Chitra,

I don't have words to thank you for sharing this pooja format.
    I would just love to follow this format.
    We do perform pujas in temples sometimes as per elders order but I never understood the steps or could follow them word by word.
    now, after reading ur format, I do understand the steps involved and the shlokas.

thanks a million for this mail.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

thanks a million

Dear Mrs Chithra,

Very greateful and glad to see the 16 step poja vidhi. It is a gift from God thru you. For a person like me who has been striving to get this vidhi, getting it on a silver platter like this is a boon. I am humbled and amazed by the extent you help us here.

thanking you
    love & best regards
    Vidya

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

To Prathi, Seetha, Meena & Vidya !

Dear Friends,
    Your feedback makes me very happy & I feel more so because I put in a lot of effort for this - much more than for my recipes !
    I was not sure if this had to be posted, since this is not everybody's cup of tea !
    But still, I remembered how I struggled with various formats to arrive at a simple common one. So I thought that even if a handful of you enjoy it, my job is done !
    Just take a print out, laminate & start using it - you will get it effortlessly ! God is grace personified & will surely excuse us if we make mistakes ! This is what my guru tells me. There is no need to get doubts at every stage - just follow the thoughts which " strike your comfort zone" in your mind & heart. All will be well.
    Any doubts, please remember, I am always around to help you with my " two cents" !
    Go ahead & start on the new moon day. Good luck, God speed.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Where will we be without you,Mrs.Chithra?

Dear Mrs.Chithra,
    After having known you, my life has become so much fuller and now with this topic you have won a place in my heart permanently.I kid you not.I have always wanted to do poojas and chant slokams like my mother but my awareness is limited and i try to do the best i can.Its the festivals i especially feel bad about because i have no idea what to do and everytime i have to depend on my mom to give me directions.Please accept my heartfelt gratitude for unknowingly you have become a mother to everyone of us here and you have blessed our lives in more ways than one.
    My question is ,is there any way i can read the slokams you have written in tamil for i don't want to go wrong reading it in english.Whats ur suggestion?

Love,
    Suba.