Puja - Asan Bibi Puja

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sushmasrivastav, May 8, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends
    I have just returned from attended from the Asan Bibi puja. The puja was hosted by my Bengali neighbour. The Asan Bibi puja is very popular among married women in eastern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.
    On inquiry I learnt that Asan Bibi was a pious Muslim woman. The puja is performed only by married women. You can either do a single puja which means inviting seven married women or a double puja which means inviting fourteen married women.
    After reading the katha of Asan bibi, the puja is rounded off by the traditional Bengali meal of mach-bhath or fish and rice. I would like to know more about this puja.

2. nutangill

nutangill New IL'ite

I am intrigued! Hindu ladies celebrating the life of a Muslim lady! Would certainly like to know more!

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Yes, I too have attended Asan Bibi puja. The puja is generally offered by ladies as a thanksgiving once their mannat or wish comes true.
    Interestingly, there is no idol worship in Asan bibi puja. It is very important is that till the time the recital of Asan bibi katha is completed you cannot either talk or move from your place.

For a single Asan Bibi puja, you need to invite 7 married ladies and for a double (jora) Asan bibi puja you need to invite 14 ladies. Many people keep two or three ladies extra to cover up for ladies who are not able to come at the last moment. :thumbsup

4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

To start with, you need to place a gamcha or traditional towel and a small brass or steel pot on it. Next place, 7 little mounds of wet earth and 7 small heaps of kala chana (which have been soaked overnight) and gur surrounding the steel pot. It is a practice for the invited ladies to bring sweets (generally sandesh) which are divided into the seven heaps.
    After this the katha of Asan bibi is recited. One cannot talk or move till the recital is completed. Once the recital is over, Prasad is distributed. Each lady collects the same in her saree pallu or anchal. After eating the Prasad, each lady has to wash her hands while remaining seated. For this purpose, a glass of water is placed before the ladies beforehand

5. npandey115

npandey115 New IL'ite

hi bandana
    can you please provide asan bibi vrat katha in hindi

6. niharikab

niharikab New IL'ite

Please tell where is the real place where asaan bibi's puja is performed in india.

thanx

7. Soumi57

Soumi57 New IL'ite

Plz can someone help me with the whole puja vidhi and Katha of asan bibi....need it urgently...kindly help....