1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Public School vs Private in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The public vs private school for elementary and middle school is an easy decision for some families, and for some it is up for review every year.

It becomes even harder to take a decision if parent wants to go a different route for second child after learning from first child's experience.

Cost, commute, having classmates from neighborhood, walkable, exposure to real world, protected environment, options for extracurriculars, opportunities for motivated students.. there are many factors parents consider.

Is it an easy decision for you? A given? Or was it a conscious well-researched choice? Did child, mom and dad have conflicting preferences?

There are also other options like charter, magnet school, but this is more about public (free) vs private (paid) choice for elementary, middle school years.

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.

2. Rihana

We chose public schools for elementary and middle school years, and not unhappy with the decision. Commute and carpooling to faraway private school plus money were main factors. Plus, we had the approach that we went to regular schools, and doing well in life... it is the genes : ) and home environment that matters most.

In retrospect, yes, researching more options, and maybe moving closer to a more suitable private school would have made a difference. I guess if it bothered me enough, we would have. Didn't bother then, and not now.

Though, I have to confess public schools mostly not having prescribed uniform still puzzles me.

sindmani, butterflyice and peartree like this.
  3. Rihana

The "Let's Fire Up Those Neurons" thread sees discussion on many tangential but interesting topics. Quoting part of a neat post by JAG from there, on the public vs private school topic:

4. Rihana

Bumping up thread.

Was a long long weekend. Met friends who firmly believe in private school education. Went over entire pros cons list. : )

5. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Please list the pros and cons Rihana

fourthaugust likes this.
  6. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

I second this request. This is a topic very close to my heart right now as we are deciding between public and private for my daughter for elementary. Our school district is average with an OK PTO so the recommendation in the neighborhood is also 50-50 confusing us even more.

7. Rihana

JAG's post, quoted in post #3 above has a good comparison.

In my experience, it essentially comes down to what your friends do, and the inherent opinion of you and spouse about education. Some general factors to compare private/public elementary and middle schools (not high schools) :

Cost - Sending child to public school frees up money to spend on extra curricular activities.
    Nearby - Public school is nearer, classmates live nearer - helps kids who find it harder to make friends.
    Street-smartness - Public schools have less protected environment, there are kids from all kinds of families. Usually, there will be 1 or 2 mischievous or challenging kids in each class, and kids learn from that exposure. Though, on the flip side, teacher attention and time goes in catering to children with varying levels of interest in learning.

Playground - Extending the streetsmartness factor, public school playground and recess time interactions can provide some skills that protected environment of private school cannot.

%age of time spent learning - In a public school, they may spend precious school hours watching dumb movies, some inane activity, or a politically correct thingie that the principal/district think is important to teach. In a private school, there is much more emphasis on academics, and time less wasted.

PTA in public schools - Aah.. dont' get me started. This is a topic by itself. In some schools, this can be a nuisance. If you are a PTA parent, sorry. :)

Responsive management - Public schools - getting any accommodation or anything that school is not required to readily provide by law, can be tough.

Common Core - If the state follows it, public schools have to follow it, I think. And it is a big big mess, especially the math.

Teacher turnover - I believe this is higher in private schools, where they try to keep teachers whom they pay least.

That's it for now. Maybe will add more later.

Just my opinions. Many of these are very subjective.

8. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Nice discussion.

My son is 3 and there is already a lot of opinions coming on this, peer pressure for private schools. I have seen kids from private school seem to be having a lot of peer pressure, one of our friends son (12years) goes to private and did not like to dropped in Toyata, as all his friends get dropped in a better cars and has been pushing his father to buy Mercedes :) :), I donot know if this has something to do with private school.

Well as mentioned here, at higher grades, parent's life gets a little easier with private schools. But there is a pressure to enter at the elementary level as it gets easier to get admissions, at the higher grades it gets tough with the limited seats, entrance exams, interviews etc etc etc...................

Is the money spent worth at the Elementary levels ? the answer I get from friends is, its better to spend on their education now than saving for later stage.

9. Rihana

I've heard about this too, though more from the very expensive schools. It can also happen in a public school, for example, if there is no prescribed school uniform. As the kids get older, some want to wear and use only expensive brands.

True. Some parents enroll child into private school just one year before the admission is known to get tougher.

Good question. Often, it finally boils down to money. "Is it worth it" is big question. One answer is - how would the money get spent if not spent on private school tuition? How much of a lifestyle compromise is needed to afford private school. Unless the public elementary school options are really dismal, the argument of better to spend on their education now than saving for later stage, doesn't make much sense, IMO.

Then, there is one more factor of whether family has 1 kid or more.

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It depends where you live, I guess. Mostly, west coast particularly San Jose area, my friends sent their kids to private schools (after school tuition, "flying" their kids on freeways to distance private school, carpooling/kiddie cabs), it just amused me. It short, you cannot "outsource" your kid's education on the name of private school.

It is same as in India, you can enroll your kid in top ranked school and it doesn't mean he/she is going to get the 1st rank in the state.

My son went to public school. I learned from other (Indian) parents/kids about local school system and what to demand from their teacher(s). I made sure that my son was in the gifted children program - that prepare kids to move ahead than rest of their class. It is very easy to be in that program, but have to pay attention ahead of time to know when kids are tested for their advanced Math/English skills (like 3rd grade, 9th grade). There are limited seats for the program - only merit works, one of best school district in the country. Highly paid teachers, some of them are retired from the industry and teaching kids as their passion.

Draw back - there used to be 10+ kids from my son's grade at the school bus stop and none of them were in that special program. I had to drive him to his class friends for doing projects/pick him up after school program etc. It isolated him from rest of neighborhood kids and he had his own friends network. Some of them were influential in his growth, he had that fire/healthy competition with his friends. He received a college scholarship from my work place (competition there too!).

Yes, I was a tiger mom (even before the term was coined).

1 person likes this.