1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology II

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

In Psychology I, I had written that the approach in psychology that I am a believer in is not what one thinks psychology would be. How so?

It is a natural science like physics or biology. This itself should (and often does) raise questions. How can psychology ever be a natural science? Isn't there a little non-physical entity inside each of us (our mind/soul/spirit) that is the wellspring of all our thoughts and actions? Am I denying this? Well, yes and no.

Yes, because, I am denying that there is a non-physical agent of action inside each of us, a wellspring of all our thoughts and actions. It only appears so. It is a myth we have been fed.

No, because, I am NOT denying that we think about our (and others') upcoming actions almost continuously. [At the moment I am thinking, among other things, "Should I go and buy a nozzle for the lawn hose? Once the week starts, I won't have time for things like this." What I am denying is that these thoughts are uncaused causes of other thoughts and actions. Roughly speaking, these can also be thought of as caused "actions" (for the lack of a better term). Caused by what? And how? By our histories and our current/recent situations. In other words, as we go through our days, various thoughts and actions automatically [automagically :)] come out of us, influenced by our current situations. That being the case, the following is all wrong:

1. The "I" inside us mysteriously causes thoughts to come out of us.

2. The thoughts then cause actions.

The following is right:

1. The world around us causes various thoughts and actions to come out us.

2. These can be studied in a natural, biological science.

This afternoon, I was helping my plant flowers . That's what caused me to think of going to the store to buy the lawn hose nozzle. This kind of influence of the external world is recognized as in " 'I' was reminded of the need to go and buy the lawn hose nozzle". However, the 'I' still gets most of the credit. This is a shortcut and is not at all necessary.

Thanks for staying with me so far. Go give yourself a nice treat :)
    ----------------------------------------------
    Today is the first Sunday that I had not worked in about 4 weeks. All the mental energy needs to come out of me. Hence the spate of blog entries :)

2. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Both the posts on psychology are informative... Thanks for sharing
    You seem have done lot of research on psychology... Have you studied psychology? Just curious to know :)

I have a big list of to do things and one of them is study psychology...

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai SOJO,

A very well research done by you on psychology. You have mentioned correctly and i am totally agree with you on the below point

. The world around us causes various thoughts and actions to come out us.

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Since 1980, I have been toying on and off with the idea of getting into this field full-time (instead of as a hobby).

Several things have held me back:

1. I am not sure of my skill level in this field.

2. Since the approach I like is followed by less than 1% of practioners in the filed [and since I can't hide my contempt for the popular approach :)], there would be a lot of hostility, which I don't want to face.

3. Job prospects are also quite limited.