Professional Decisions

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by SGBV, Sep 12, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,

As you may know that I have received this opportunity to work with UN as an international staff, with a great post which has always been my passion.
    I was in higher level positions with UN in the past too, but after a point, due to family reasons I had to take a step back and work nationally on simple/flexible projects with lower income range for sometimes.
    It wasn't easy for a woman from Asian background, after such a long break to return to international career with UN. But with the grace of God, I've made it somehow.

My only demand since I've been considered for international position is to get a family working station, where I could shift my family.
    This time, Rwanda (a small, yet developed African country) was proposed, and I instantly agreed as it's not easy to get family stations.
    But, lately I understood that Rwanda is not a proper station for our family, as where I am posted here, there is no English medium Schools for kids (all are French).
    So, at the last minute I had to drop my family back at home, under the care of my H and mom (with the help of a servant), and came alone.
    I felt like I was trapped, but it was also my mistake that I should have analyzed well before agreeing. Nevertheless, I had resigned my local post to come here, so there is no going back.

My initial contract will be till end of Jan, and it is likely to be renewed.
    But I would be earning a great salary here in these 6 months, which will be more than what I could earn back home in the next few years.
    So, I wouldn't mind resigning after 6 months, and wait for a good opportunity as I can't miss my family any longer.

In the mean time, we had thought of a couple of options... and I need your help to sort them out

1- I stay here till end of first contract (Jan 2019), and go back to home. Wait for a better international contract, or join a local job in the mean time.
    2. I bring my family here, hoping I can get a transfer to the capital city, where good schools are available. And then continue for 1-2 years depending on contracts. Usually the people who come here on any contract get a chance to absorb to the system anyway. So, they stay longer
    3- I bring my family here, and try some opportunities for my H in the capital, so that the family can stay there to access all the facilities while I can visit them frequently. (As of now, he has qualifications but no offers. But he strongly believe in his astrology, which says he will soon find a foreign employment)
    4- Just complete this one, return home and settle with family locally
    5- I return home in Jan 2019, and let my H try for some posting here. But we family stay back in our home country (H could visit us once in 3 months or so)

Really confused as we don't know what is next

Please advice

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aiyyo SGBV, so many responses to your other thread about colleague's morals and happiness battle, and none here so far. :shakehead: Needs to be remedied. Here goes:

I think if you can stay another 6 months after Jan 2019 and try for a job for yourself in the capital city, that will be good.

Separating family into two places Rwanda is not a good idea. If kids are in Rwanda, it is better for both parents to be there at home with them. Managing kids in new country is tough for one parent. And also with so many new things, kids as young as yours are better off with both parents at home. Right now they are fine as your mom and in-laws are around.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Laks09, gorgeous23 and SGBV like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot @Rihana

Compare to her problems, mine is more real and more important. Yet. no one considers mine as interesting as hers... what to do :(

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

That just goes to show what is a good bait to get responses. SGBV failed to inject a moral dilemma into the thread-title or the first post.
    Mum living away from children is a tough thing. I salute SGBV, and her family support. I understood from another thread that the children are a few years from teenage, and that is somewhat tolerable.
    I like and applaud women getting and using opportunities in careers that take them places that they did not go in previous generations. And being lucky-happy in having supporting stay-at-home-husbands... and other family supports. When all this is possible, I would think SGBV ought to see how big a position she could achieve in her international organization. Stick it out, move to the capital city, and gather the family in one place for the long haul.
    Now that Rihana had mentioned "the other" thread and the colleague's morals/happiness dilemma, I have a question: Is being in a French speaking place infect a person with morals that are more flexible than the anglo-hindu ideas ?

Laks09 likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

No, she is an Asian from my country... Not related to French culture

Btw, thanks for your reply..

6. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Option 1 4 5 are not good. If u continue staying here (Rwanda) all your sacrifices will pay and u may get a permanent post in higher position with bigger responsibilities and get more career satisfaction . But if u go back after a short stint then again there will be stress of switching different types of career and your career growth will slow down . Better to see future in Rwanda.bring them and I positively believe u will get good work here after January too, so try to build a.stable career here then switching between countries and careers .

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn’t even see this thread. How?????
    You should stay @SGBV. Get the capital posting and then move. Kids are ok with dad and grandparents. You won’t get many opportunities like this. Plus, kids also need you to provide for them in other ways.
    Don’t give up and go away. Wait it out for a while longer and see if you can move into the capital. It’s best to be there and try to move rather than resign, go home and then move back.

Regarding your DH’s job, astrologer or no astrologer, there are no guarantees.